News Canelo to fight at cruiserweight!!

Yes its not like he has a history of ducking fighters at 154/160/175 right? lol.

Dont know who Canelo ducked at 154/160 and he clearly cherrypicked Kovalev at LHW but you cant say hes ducking if hes not fighting at the weight...

Amazing how a Canelo campaign at 175 is not expected by many. After he defeated Kovalev, there was some talk of Cruiserweight by Eddie Reynoso but then the campaign at 168 got underway because he didn't want Canelo to give up his advantages in the ring.

He unified all 4 belts at 168 after only 4 fights in the weight class. He doesn't really have anything to prove at 160, nor does it seem easy for him at this stage to get back down there. They are running out of eye opener type matchups for Canelo. There is nothing wrong with cherry picking Makabu at 190. Cherry picking against older guys is actually good for the sport as its giving guys like Bivol and Benavidez time to mature their resumes before having to take a P4P test. Canelo was on the other side of it when he was too young for GGG.

175 campaign for Canelo would have compelling matchups but also more interesting mandatories compared to 168 because of the size difference. I don't think Canelo wants to spend the remainder of his career chopping through mandatories at 168 that nobody has ever heard of before. Makabu, Beterbiev, Smith then Bivol and whomever else wants to meet him at 175, which like no 160 pounder wants to do so it will be up to the rising 168 guys (Benavidez) to meet him there.

There is nothing wrong with cherry picking Makabu at 190. Cherry picking against older guys is actually good for the sport as its giving guys like Bivol and Benavidez time to mature their resumes before having to take a P4P test.
Sure.
Canelo had proven this with fight vs old, over the hill Mosley who did not had won 1 from his last 3 fights.
And still eliglible for a title fight. Cos it is Clen. LOL.

Cherry pick with Kovalev was cool, I agree.
It looked like cherry pick Williams vs Briedis if surnames only does matters.

He unified all 4 belts at 168 after only 4 fights in the weight class.
There I agree. Canelo fairly unified 168 lbs division.
Might Canelo will agree to fight with Bivol and old Beterbiev with 3 months notice outside of U.S and with testing in Germany or Switzerland, for example? Without clauses?

Or better is to cherry pick Makabu.
Makabu might had fight vs Briedis, looks that not enough bucks, now might fall down for better paycheck.

I don't like the idea necessarily of the all time greats eating the young of the division.

Prime ducking is also overrated when you are talking the top P4P guys. A guy like GGG for example is elite level boxer and that factors against physical break down. He's still champ at 160 so Canelo fighting him 3-4 years ago wasn't a huge prime duck that many are making it out to be.

Some fighters are done at 32, especially at the lower weight classes others can go at 90% quality into their 40's. GGG is obviously not a guy who was finished at 32 or 34. He seems more like Manny Pacquiao than a Carl Frampton.

Canelo was 26 when he signed the GGG contract. I don't see much of a problem with younger fighters waiting to get into deeper waters. Mungia is only 25 and hasn't fought a titlist at 160. Bivol is 30 and still hasn't signed up with Beterbiev, though he has beat Joe Smith the WBO champ at 175.

Beterbiev only has comments abut his age starting in the pandemic, now he's going to be 37 in January. I wouldn't assume his age will be a factor though it could be. He has finished every fight so far in his career within the distance including his last one at 36. Maybe the steep drop off doesn't come until 40 for him.

. A guy like GGG for example is elite level boxer and that factors against physical break down.
Why against, GGG had damn long mileage in ams under belt, most likely even more than Usyk if count stuff like smokers, the same about Bet etc boxers.

It is not good to have >200 am fights ( including very hard smokers ) under belt before you turn into a pro.
Ideal thing is if with you happens stuff like with DLH etc fighters.
Young, with low mileage and still enough exp to get a pro.

Not stuff like I had saw: both ends: one: approx 15 am fights, another > 250 am fights under belt.
Some fighters are done at 32, especially at the lower weight classes others can go at 90% quality into their 40's.
It depends from you, some gets more earlier, so no no offenese here.

Marciano, Ward, DLH etc, lurk in first retirement age. A lot of fighters and there nothing wrong.

In disciplines where timing or other measurable criteria are used, some from athletes are told that they are old when they yet are not 30 y.o.
Results, math and concurrent results etc things.

Sport is very harsh, even non combat sport is damn sharp and harsh thing.

In pro boxing it is there also thing that you need to get so called resume, and before you are too old.
It is not like pro soccer or basketball, where the better you are, the more offers you will have in row.
In the same pro boxing, unless you have big money behind you, then, the better you are, the more difficult to get next fights.
Some fighters even are sneaky, they with intent looks not good and craps point wins in order just to at least to get next fight and pretends to be worse than they are IRL.

Makabu without any clauses might weight not more than 200lbs for wieght ins and not more than 220 lbs under old ruler's WBC CW title.
WBC now offers 190 lbs weight ins?
Then 209? in the ring? I'm not sure.

IBF title does have 10? lbs limit in the ring vs weight ins, as few years ago?

Usyk was approx 206-209 lbs vs Gassiev. In the ring.
But frame is frame and he had very low fat% per se even naturally.
Vs Briedis he might be allowed more, even 220 lbs in the ring.( cos WBO and WBC titles on line ) While I don't think that he was so heavy.
Sure more than 206 lbs with 0 doubt.

Last edited:
Makabu without any clauses might weight not more than 200lbs for wieght ins and not more than 220 lbs under old ruler's WBC CW title.
WBC now offers 190 lbs weight ins?
Then 209? in the ring? I'm not sure..

Canelo demanded a rehydration clause for the Kovalev fight so that Kovalev couldn't weigh more than 185 on fight night. There's no doubt he's going to demand the same thing here. Makabu will have to cut to 190 and then there's going to be a rehydration clause in place. Mind you, this is a 33 year old fighter who has fought at 200 his entire career.

Obviously the fighters like Makabu and Kovalev don't have to take the fight, but when they're offered $10M to effectively "take a dive" (Being severely physically compromised due to the demands), It's truly embarrassing moment for the sport.

Obviously the fighters like Makabu and Kovalev don't have to take the fight, but when they're offered $10M to effectively "take a dive" (Being severely physically compromised due to the demands), It's truly embarrassing moment for the sport.
Pro boxing isn't sport and never was sport and Usyk will not be happy just to get 10 m$.
Usyk will weight more than 210 lbs in the ring and with Canelo he will do the same as Foreman did vs Frazier.
Therefore Canelo will not fight nor vs old Briedis ( he had offer ) nor vs over the hill Usyk version.
In no case unless they will be old and shot to pieces and on clauses.

Canelo demanded a rehydration clause for the Kovalev fight so that Kovalev couldn't weigh more than 185 on fight night. There's no doubt he's going to demand the same thing here. Makabu will have to cut to 190 and then there's going to be a rehydration clause in place. Mind you, this is a 33 year old fighter who has fought at 200 his entire career.

Eh, you should be grateful as it provided you with another excuse.

Eh, you should be grateful as it provided you with another excuse.
Pro wrestling fans does needs to have a fun.
Develop a star, milk fans, when time, replace this star with something new.
cinema, pro boxing, pro wrestling.
Excuses needs only paying fans, spending time in forums. Yeah.

While, when this Canelo is able to make 168 lbs for weight ins, he might continue to reign this division.
175 ?Looks that Bet and Bivol YET were not available with short camps and clauses for enough cheap money to buy.
Maybe later story will change, they are going to be older and $ is God in pro wrestling ( boxing ).

Just checked Makabu's record & accomplishments, because I'm not familiar with him at all... And I don't get what the whining & complaining here is about. Some people will say anything and look for a reason to discredit Canelo, even though he's clearly what Floyd & Manny used to be - the hardest working man in the sport of boxing. Constantly taking high profile fights... and winning them.

I don't see a Evander Holyfield at cruiserweight. But is this Canelo's fault?

He would most certainly not be heavily favored

I'm beginning to think people have never actually watched Makabu fight before, Newsflash: He isn't good.

Absolute bullshit and you know it, yes I’ve watched Makubu you condescending bell end, so he lost to Bellew….. and ?

News flash CW bellew would also comfortably fuck up Charlo and Benavidez, lets see either take rounds off Usyk, these two are simply the recent boogeyman of the week because Canelo isn’t fighting them, both become bums the second Canelo takes them out.

The guys next 4 fights could be Makubu, Bivol,Beterbiev and Briedis and it still wouldn’t be good enough.

Last edited:
All these idiots have been unsuccessfully calling Canelo’s career path for years now, he would never fight real 154 guys like Lara, then he would avoid 160 like the plague because of GGG, then he wouldn’t fight the top guys at 168.

They basically have a 100 percent record of being wrong, would actually be more dignified to just admit you’re being bitter bitches.

They basically have a 100 percent record of being wrong, would actually be more dignified to just admit you’re being bitter bitches.
Now it is cool again to see true level in this forum.
Actually in all english language forums with Canelo fans.
Rude guys nothing more.
Btw level soon will surpass Conor fans level for sure.

Pro wrestling star with pro wrestling fanbase. Yeah.
Thank you for fun and amusement.

Pro wrestling fans does needs to have a fun.
Develop a star, milk fans, when time, replace this star with something new.
cinema, pro boxing, pro wrestling.
Excuses needs only paying fans, spending time in forums. Yeah.

Me gusta le boxing, ja ?

Back