News Canelo to fight at cruiserweight!!

so now Makabu is written off as old and the oldest cruiserweight, even though he is younger than WBA cruiserweight champ Goulamirian and IBF cruiserweight champ Briedis.

Well, he and even Mchunu could not be written off.
While real facts are: last Makabu fight was vs 40 y.o Durodola, who now is 41.
When Briedis fough vs Durodola, Durodola was 35, coming out of impressive stoppage win, had WBC Silver belt and had been ranked by WBC #2.
Like this reality.
The winner of this fight get this Silver belt and had supposedly turned into mando for WBC World Title.
WBC installed Huck vs Briedis fight and Huck even then was current IBO World Champ.
When was known, that Bellew should fight vs winner of Huck vs Briedis, Bellew had vacated his WBC World Title belt and told, that he will continue to fight in HW division.

To compare Makabu even with Huck is ridiculous, while Makabu really is even really good boxer.
Huck had good fight with prime shape not old Povetkin's version in HW division.
Pow was terrible opponent even in ams.

Last edited:
Canelo could probably go up to heavyweight and still win fights. Toney did it and he wasn't much bigger than canelo. Get ready for canelo vs usyk in 2023.

This fight looks good on paper because of the weight difference and Canelo gaining another belt but I think its a smart cherry pick (that could go wrong). For the longest time I've wanted to see Canelo vs Andrade. He lost to Floyd and I believe lost to Lara. Seeing how he does against a slick fighter like Andrade is interesting. There's also Bivol & Beterbiev at 175. As crazy as this may sound I think those are more dangerous opponents for Canelo. Not dangerous in power but in skill and the likelihood of losing.

Also you need to take into consideration that the money Makabu will make for a fight vs Canelo is enough to set him up for life. That should open up the idea that maybe Makabu will be paid to lose. I know these are the type of questions people don't like to entertain especially when they're blinded by their love for boxing so the idea of corruption rubs them the wrong way but its something to consider. They picked a very random opponent. An opponent who will probably never get another chance to make this type of money in his life.
He Just finished two slick fighters in BJS and Caleb Plant, Andrade is slower than Plant and got hurt by Liam Williams who is nowhere near Canelo level.

Last edited by a moderator:
This fight looks good on paper because of the weight difference and Canelo gaining another belt but I think its a smart cherry pick (that could go wrong). For the longest time I've wanted to see Canelo vs Andrade. He lost to Floyd and I believe lost to Lara. Seeing how he does against a slick fighter like Andrade is interesting. There's also Bivol & Beterbiev at 175. As crazy as this may sound I think those are more dangerous opponents for Canelo. Not dangerous in power but in skill and the likelihood of losing.

Also you need to take into consideration that the money Makabu will make for a fight vs Canelo is enough to set him up for life. That should open up the idea that maybe Makabu will be paid to lose. I know these are the type of questions people don't like to entertain especially when they're blinded by their love for boxing so the idea of corruption rubs them the wrong way but its something to consider. They picked a very random opponent. An opponent who will probably never get another chance to make this type of money in his life.
It's not a random pick. He's the WBC champ and they're dropping the limit back down to 190 pounds.

An opponent who will probably never get another chance to make this type of money in his life.
Most likely.
While Canelo only opted to fight with shot half alive Kovalev and not prime Beterbiev version nor also bunch with LHW boxers had opted to be a CW division boxers.

I for example don't think that Mayweather Jr. is lesser skills wise than Usyk but size DOES matters and pro boxing inst't da tech streetZ, where everything might be used( even any item available ) and even doesn't matters 1 vs 1 with notice or 1 vs 3 with 0 notice from all directions.
It isn't conflict in pub ( btw guess, how much relatives and buds your opponent might have in pub in not known by you area. U might get even 8 vs 1 . ).

Canelo could probably go up to heavyweight and still win fights.
Depends from matchmaking and $ paid for opponents.
The same old over the hill rusty version of Briedis from day of fight vs Dorticos, I think had KOed both these : Whyte and Chisora out and cold.
While to fight with some others might most likely end for him on cards vs this version or Usyk etc.

Andrade sucks, has beaten no one, and Canelo has obliterated two “slick boxers” in BJS and Plant. Stop this slick boxer nonsense already.

Andrade sucks, has beaten no one, and Canelo has obliterated two “slick boxers” in BJS and Plant. Stop this slick boxer nonsense already.

I don't think Andrade would even beat the other MW champs or the now former SMW champs.

This and Zepeda blasting Josue Vargas are my highlights of the year -

so now Makabu is written off as old and the oldest cruiserweight, even though he is younger than WBA cruiserweight champ Goulamirian and IBF cruiserweight champ Briedis.

And younger than beterbiev too
Let be honest Makabu isn’t some sort of GOAT the only impressive thing if canelo beats him is the weight difference

Makabu isn't "wrecking" anyone who's relevant.

Also, there's no need to gaslight, Canelo hasn't fought at 140 since he was 16 years old... he's 31 now.

He would be heavily favoured to wreck either of those 2, I know it, you know it.

Before the Canelo announcement Makubu would be favoured over anybody from 160-168.

So he used to fight at 140, so the problem is……

Not a bad fight by any means, I've been critical of some of Canelo's opponents and some of his waiting out tactics but am actually interested in this one. Makabu beat a few decent guys lately in Cieslak and Mchunu who he TKO'd. And he TKO'd old Glen Johnson who was only stopped by Hopkins in his 80 fight career or whatever it was. He's not a power puncher but hits hard enough to make a lot of guys crumble.

The Bellew fight was long ago and Bellew was a good boxer who was even troubling Usyk with his length before he started tiring near the 4th or so. Sure Canelo is cherrypicking for an easy title at CW vs. a small veteran instead of fighting a guy like Okolie who's relatively green but would pose much more problems, but so what, still a good fight to make instead of fighting absolute bums like Rocky Fielding or Yildrim between good competition. CW is an extremely weak division with Gassiev moving up, basically only Breidis is world class skill wise.

Makabu is slow and plodding, but Canelo is also making quite a jump and if his power doesn't hold up well he could face some trouble. Now he's got one of the best chins and good defense so Makabu will be hitting a lot of air and likely tire, but this is an actually interesting fight overall imo. Not sure if making this jump just for a one off is that smart for Canelo though, unless he plans to drop 168 altogether and stay at 175.

The dis
And unlike Charlo, Makabu is insanely bigger than Canelo.

Makabu would put Charlo and Benavidez in the hospital, so lets stop pretending its some cake walk while those two are scary wold beaters. You want to argue Bivol or Biev, have at it. Id much rather see those. Charlo and Benavidez have done exactly fuck all besides run their mouths.

It’s like the entire 160-168lb divisions could go and win a CW title all of a sudden.

Maybe Benavidez and co should fight each other rather than standing with their pockets turned out begging for a payday.

Not a bad fight by any means, I've been critical of some of Canelo's opponents and some of his waiting out tactics but am actually interested in this one. Makabu beat a few decent guys lately in Cieslak and Mchunu who he TKO'd. And he TKO'd old Glen Johnson who was only stopped by Hopkins in his 80 fight career or whatever it was. He's not a power puncher but hits hard enough to make a lot of guys crumble.

The Bellew fight was long ago and Bellew was a good boxer who was even troubling Usyk with his length before he started tiring near the 4th or so. Sure Canelo is cherrypicking for an easy title at CW vs. a small veteran instead of fighting a guy like Okolie who's relatively green but would pose much more problems, but so what, still a good fight to make instead of fighting absolute bums like Rocky Fielding or Yildrim between good competition. CW is an extremely weak division with Gassiev moving up, basically only Breidis is world class skill wise.

Makabu is slow and plodding, but Canelo is also making quite a jump and if his power doesn't hold up well he could face some trouble. Now he's got one of the best chins and good defense so Makabu will be hitting a lot of air and likely tire, but this is an actually interesting fight overall imo. Not sure if making this jump just for a one off is that smart for Canelo though, unless he plans to drop 168 altogether and stay at 175.
It helps that the weight limit will be 190 pounds but it will still be interesting to see how much weight Canelo plans to put on. You'd have to think Makabu will come in at least over 200 pounds after making weight.

It helps that the weight limit will be 190 pounds but it will still be interesting to see how much weight Canelo plans to put on. You'd have to think Makabu will come in at least over 200 pounds after making weight.

Ah right, I missed that. Think that's kind of shitty for the other champs actually since I doubt Canelo wants anything to do with CW after this, win or loss. I mean Breidis and Okolie were hinting about fighting and they are already big CWs, and the winner may want to unify so wonder happens to belt after. Are they just going to keep CW for all the other governing bodies and WBC while WBC labels it as "bridgerweight" or will the other bodies create a new division as well?

Kind of a mess actually, because CW is already so weak so what's the point of diluting it further.

I'd probably pick Canelo but I need to watch more of Makabu's fights. The more physical a much bigger fighter is the better chance they'll have at beating him. Kovalev isn't a physical guy which worked in Canelo's favor. It's possible though that Makabu comes in with a gameplan to use his superior size and be more physical than usual. That could make it very interesting.

Makabu has not talent, is easy to hit and constantly gets rocked his defense is terrible and he's slow with no footwork he comes straight forward, easy picking for Canelo, who is already sparring against cruiserweights, Canelo will just take his time block punches wait until the 10th round and fire heavy shots stopping Makabu easily, after Makabu's gassed trying to knock Canelo out.

If what Canelo is doing is taking the easy road, why aren’t all the other bums that won’t fight each other doing the same? What is stopping any of these other guys from going up in weight and challenging for these titles? Oh wait, they’re not looking to fight larger men and are only willing to risk their undefeated records in a money fight with Canelo. Fuck them bums.

Let be honest Makabu isn’t some sort of GOAT the only impressive thing if canelo beats him is the weight difference
Would you pick Charlo or Benavidez to beat Makabu?

Back