Can pro boxers PLEASE stop trying to come to MMA. You can't compete!

I want more boxers and muay thai and such guys to come over and increase the excitement and talent of the sport.

A boxer who "trains for two years" on other aspects of martial arts is not a boxer after those two years.

He/She is a mixed martial artist with a boxing base. That's a huge difference.

The pure kickboxer Holly Holm would not have been able to defend the one or two clinches/throw attempts by Ronda, and certainly not any type of armbar sequence.

Pure boxer vs. Pure MMAist in either boxing or MMA is pretty much a dead issue to anyone with a brain.

The more exciting questions (IMO) are about new meta-games in MMA and how certain skills/abilities are gaining or losing importance in MMA and how, in what situations, etc...

Can mma fighters please stop calling out boxers in the sport of boxinv like they can hang...we saw Conor hey carried by old brittle hand mayweather

This.

For those that are new, that's Ray Mercer, a former HW champ ending Tim Sylvia in 20 seconds with the first punch of the fight... Merciless.

FrayedDenseDotterel-size_restricted.gif

Boxers, especially powerful punches will always be a threat, and the higher level they are, the less chance of getting close to them you have, increasing KO likelihood, the same as BJJ guys with No striking are a threat once they get hold of you...

Tyson Fury is coming, he's going to beat Big Frank, and it's going to be a great day.

EDIT: I know grapplers have a huge advantage, but Tyson is actually putting the work in, and has exceptional footwork. He's no Mercer or Toney, that's a hard guy to get near... Don't knock the guy.

Amazing double leg by Mercer too.

That would be embarrassing - like a MMA fighter coming into the ring and firing off shots from hip against an elite boxer whilst talking shit to him.

This.

For those that are new, that's Ray Mercer, a former HW champ ending Tim Sylvia in 20 seconds with the first punch of the fight... Merciless.

FrayedDenseDotterel-size_restricted.gif

Boxers, especially powerful punches will always be a threat, and the higher level they are, the less chance of getting close to them you have, increasing KO likelihood, the same as BJJ guys with No striking are a threat once they get hold of you...

Tyson Fury is coming, he's going to beat Big Frank, and it's going to be a great day.

EDIT: I know grapplers have a huge advantage, but Tyson is actually putting the work in, and has exceptional footwork. He's no Mercer or Toney, that's a hard guy to get near... Don't knock the guy.
tumblr_p0xovcn6wI1qd4esao1_500.gifv

Take that

Mercer also lost to Kimbo Slice, though.

A boxer who "trains for two years" on other aspects of martial arts is not a boxer after those two years.

The pure kickboxer Holly Holm would not have been able to defend the one or two clinches/throw attempts by Ronda, and certainly not any type of armbar sequence.

Pure boxer vs. Pure MMAist in either boxing or MMA is pretty much a dead issue to anyone with a brain.

The more exciting questions (IMO) are about new meta-games in MMA and how certain skills/abilities are gaining or losing importance in MMA and how, in what situations, etc...
This. Just like a collegiate wrestler who practices striking for years is no longer a wrestler, but a mixed martial artist with a wrestling base.

When you train in MMA for years, you're a mixed martial artist. At this point, you have to be a MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST to compete at the highest level.

And to people who are new that same Ray Mercer got subbed in little over a minute by backyard Brawler 2000s era YouTube star Kimbo slice....

You can’t win em all mate. He was nearly 50 years old and took a loss in a sport that is basically completely new to him. It’s hardly something that’s going to keep him awake at night.

The fact of the matter is, an old retired boxer went into MMA and beat an active, highly ranked guy. As far as I’m aware, the opposite has never happened.

I'm all for it. If they die, they die.

if-you-die-5b422f.jpg

Stipe is just a D level amateur boxer who did the odd wrestling class in college. And he's your hw champ lol

Stipe would beat the horse piss out of any boxer put in front of him. Single leg to ground and pound. Game over.

So? I wasnt saying he's a world beater, but even at 40 odd, and untrained he took out a former UFC champion.

The sport has changed a lot since Sylvia was champ and he was also basically the ideal opponent for Mercer, an unathletic striker.

This is the UFC discussion thread. You should probably post this in the boxing discussion thread.

Very few high-level boxers have ever even made honest attempts at mma. Why? Because they’re too busy making real money than to fight for a barely living wage and Reebok coupons.

/thread

A boxer with no grappling experience walked into the sport in her 30’s, and ko’d the UFC’s poster girl.

If you mean being a pro mma fighter as long as Ronda (had their pro MMA debut the same year) and 9 - 0 in MMA then yes...

I mean to be fair he never really had a chance.. he got decked instantly.

Rey Mercer fought a few more mma fights in Japan and I think lost everytime

Still, at 40 years old he beat a former hw champion with one punch.

Holly Holm won the belt.

Boxers have faired better than mma fighters going to boxing
Lucas browne hw champ 29-2 in boxing after being a failed mma fighter

Codys style is 95% boxing, hes a boxer.

I dont know who that is but I just looked him up and he had a record of 6-2. That's not failing

Lucas brown is a d level boxer and has 1 loss vs goat daniel cormier.

Back