Can pro boxers PLEASE stop trying to come to MMA. You can't compete!

It could have the unintended effect of hastening boxing's demise; boxing champs getting easily quashed in MMA won't look good for the sweet science.

Jarl
Most of the Male fighters won't bother,unless they are washed up. Females on the other hand,its actually worth it for them to try

The problem for boxers is leg kicks. Boxing is the best striking art when adapted for MMA but fighters need to develop a lot of durability and muscle memory to handle leg kicks. There's simply not enough time in a fighter's trainable years to achieve a high level in boxing and also develop the other skills necessary for MMA. You'd have to take the best amateur boxers and have them supplement their amateur career with BJJ, then introduce kicks in their late teens/early 20s. They will never be among the elite kickers in versatility or dexterity, but the use of kicks as a whole is rather energy consuming and typically requires far more manipulation of balance and footwork in comparison to punching, even when done proficiently.

Of course MMA striking is more varied than punching and kicking but the two ranges are the most common in MMA striking exchanges.

james toney lasted like a whole minute against old man randy
If that's old man Randy than he was fighting casket ready Tony. Just like the fight between Silvia vs Mercer, I don't want to see what old man is aged worse, I want to see two guys in their prime's fighting.
Obviously I think the MMA guy will win. But I still want better gifs to show boxing fans.

give both of them 1 year and the striker wins 10/10

elite boxers/striker will dominate MMA, its just a matter of time.
If they learn grappling defense then yes. That's easier said than done though, you need to know how to stop takedowns, how to get off the damn fence, and most importantly how to get back to your feet when you're on the ground. If a good striker learns to do this they become nightmares to deal with.

Womens boxing seems to be a complete shit show...this woman (Clarissa Shields) was inducted to the Boxing Hall of Fame after 8 professional fights? Seriously? And 7 of her 9 professional fights have gone the distance...am I missing something? What makes this woman so special that she's trying to get into MMA?

*Reading what I wrote it comes off as kind of brash, but I'm genuinely curious about how this woman has gotten so much recognition for what appears to be very little output.
Probably because nowadays we have to deal with alot of feminist bs. The talent pool for women's boxing is fucking terrible, it's probably lower than mma.

The fight will be at 155. Claressa is scheduled to fight at 154 next in boxing. She walks around at 187 pounds and has cut weight with a healthy diet. She made weight until the fight was canceled when he brother sucker punched her opponents 74 year old trainer leaving him with a brain bleed at the weigh in.
http://www.nowboxing.com/2019/10/el...essa-shields-vs-ivana-habazin-weigh-in/41010/

https://www.worldboxingnews.net/2019/10/08/james-ali-bashir-brain-bleed/
ugh, how the hell does a female get that heavy...

Jack Dempsey was one of the first "mixed martial artists" in modern America and he wrote in his book "Championship fighting", and I quote:

Since a fist-fight has no supervision, it can develop into a roughhouse affair in which anything goes. There's no one to prevent low blows,butting, kicking, eye-gouging, biting and strangling. When angry fighters fall into a clinch, there's no one to separate them. Wrestling often ensues. A fellow may be thrown to earth, floor, or pavement. He can be hammered when down, or even be "given the boots"- kicked in the face-unless some humane bystander interferes. And you can't count on bystanders. A third difference is this: A FIST-FIGHT IS NOT PRECEDED BY MATCHMAKING.

Jack Dempsey himself understood the difference between boxing and "fist fighting" as he called it, and his description is exactly what MMA is. He explains that if you want to actually learn how to FIGHT, it's not enough to learn just how to BOX, you also need to wrestle and kick and do Judo (Jack Dempsey was a trained Judoka). He understood that being slammed onto pavement is more powerful than even Deontay Wilder's right cross. He also understood that punching power is made, not born and that you can learn how to punch with knockout power the same way a baby can kill a 250 pound man if it falls onto his head from several stories high

What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk? It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck. Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION. You may feel as helpless as a year-old infant-as far as fighting is concerned; but please remember: (1) YOU WEIGH MORE THAN A BABY, and (2) YOU NEED NOT FALL FROM A WINDOW TO PUT YOUR BODY-WEIGHT INTO MOTION. You have weight, and you have the means of launching that weight into fast motion.

Jack Dempsey is the true GOAT.

The sport has changed a lot since Sylvia was champ and he was also basically the ideal opponent for Mercer, an unathletic striker.
What a terrible combo, an unathletic striker. Not to say grappling doesn't take athleticism, but it plays a much bigger role for striking. Without it, you're a sitting duck just waiting to get beaten BADLY.

Women MMA is bigger than Women Boxing. The UFC forces things down your throats. If boxing was like the UFC a guy like Blair 'The Flair' Cobbs would be HUGE. Instead he gets to fight on Golden Boy Thursday Night Promotions on Facebook because he has massive holes in his game. He does have a funky background and personality which the UFC would leverage.

It comes down to this. The UFC creates most of its stars because it has no competitors. Boxing promotions do not have this luxury. Why? Because rival promoters tear each other's fighters down. Anthony Joshua wins and Bob Arum and Leonard Ellerbe immediately hit the Vegas Strip asking people to interview them about how all Joshua does is run.

What a stupid thread.

Might as well tell joanna,valentina,and gdr,to stick to muay thai

As someone else said,hardened battle ready fighters from actually competitive backgrounds have a distinct advantage against the part time soccer moms they will be put up against on the way up.

How far they can go really depends on competition. Right now the girls coming out of the Olympics are clearing out the old guard in female boxing and the level of skill on display has increased significantly. It's not close.

Joanna has previously mentioned an interest in doing boxing and she would be one of the few good WMMA fighters who could do well in it. Rose is probably another and there's a few more.

I suspect with the way the contracts work now under the UFC the fight would have to happen under Zuffa Boxing which is why they are bringing in Floyd.

Fully expect Dana to pay a decent amount for low level boxing guys who normally get shit but not sure who he can really get to do it cause the model under Zuffa boxing you know will mirror the UFC. No more 30-60 win streaks until real competition is allowed. It's going to be brutal. I'm actually interested especially if they let some of the known MMA fighters compete in it like Joanna, Aldo etc.

If I were tyson fury I would just train take down defense for 2 years straight and checking leg kicks. That's all he needs. If he can train defense wrestling in 2 years, he has a decent chance at HW. Like others said, Tyson isn't a power puncher so he will eventually get taken down and it will look ugly, even if he can fend off a few take downs. Someone like wilder, canelo, GGG, even Joshua or Ruiz have a better chance because they pack a punch. However we don't know what Fury looks like with 4 ounce gloves. The only weight class boxers have a chance is HW, because HW is the least skilled and that's if they train properly for at least 2 years.

blob

Tyson Fury is the most overrated fighter in combat sports history. He get's absolutely obliterated by even unranked HW fighters, let alone the top 5.

blob

Tyson Fury is the most overrated fighter in combat sports history. He get's absolutely obliterated by even unranked HW fighters, let alone the top 5.

Rozen trained MMA for 2-3 years max. fought 4 times this year and is a top 8 guy ...

I think Fury would be fine.

If that's old man Randy than he was fighting casket ready Tony. Just like the fight between Silvia vs Mercer, I don't want to see what old man is aged worse, I want to see two guys in their prime's fighting.
Obviously I think the MMA guy will win. But I still want better gifs to show boxing fans.

i dont think that a fighter in his prime is going to go fare off very well in a sport and compete at a professional level in a sport he's never really participated in. the best thing they could hope for is they dont get utterly humiliated. its just a slap in the face when they are getting paid lots more money just to show up then many or even most athletes who have been competing in the sport for years, like CM Punk for instance. its kind of a slap in the face to the credibility of the sport, but money talks i guess

but still i love a good freak show fight so i'm all for watching it. sure MMA and Boxing have alot of common ground, but 99 times out of 100 i would expect a boxer to get outdone if he steps in the cage, and vice versa. if i had to take a gander, i'd say a mma fighter would have the better odds of beating a boxer in the cage than a boxer stepping into the octagon to fight a high level mma fighter. but its fighting, and anything could happen. but to me there is two different sports. whats a boxer going to do once he gets taken down by a guy with a wrestling background who has been doing it all of his life? sure you can take all the jiujitsu and wrestling lessons you want and have all the best coaches, but youre at a pretty big disadvantage if youre up against a guy whos actually been doing that in real fights for all of his professional career. i would expect it would be easier for an mma fighter to transition to boxing, but still my money would always be on the boxer.

but like i said, i love me a good freak show fight. throw floyd into the octagon and have him throw down with conor. it would be a whole different outcome and floyd would be in a whole different world. i'm all for that kind of stuff, but it just isnt very practical. they should at least get some amateur experierience before they move on to competing on a professional level, but money talks. i just cant see someone jumping into the UFC with no professional experience and being successful just because theyve been boxing or playing football or whatever for all of their life and were really good at it. it just wouldnt work out very well against an experienced dude whos been out there ripping peoples arms off for years and whatnot.

How DARE anyone want to try something out if they aren't getting paid millions of dollars to do so. The FUCKING NERVE of some people!!!

Rozen trained MMA for 2-3 years max. fought 4 times this year and is a top 8 guy ...

I think Fury would be fine.

Rozen's a highly decorated kickboxer with an insane record. Kickboxing is much closer to MMA striking than just straight boxing. Plus Rozen is much more athletic than Fury. Fury's a lanky fat guy that gets by due to height and reach.

Back