Calzaghe will stop Pavlik if they meet

JDKO

White Belt
Reaction score
That's my prediction at least, either that or a hefty UD... Pavlik doesn't have any of the tools to stop Calzaghe doing what he does. It's a fight I'd like to see tho, much more than Calzaghe Vs RJJ. I'd also like to see it happen in the States, then let Calzaghe finish by beating Tarver in Cardiff.

Youre from the UK, your opinion is biased.:icon_chee

i disagree. he might win a decision but he wont stop him. if anyone wins via stopage it would be pavlik.

Youre from the UK, your opinion is biased.:icon_chee

Yeah, but I'm from England, and we dont like the Welsh! :D

But, having watched both of them alot, i just think Pavlik's style is tailor made for Calzaghe... I was impressed with Pavlik's second victory over Taylor, but it still didn't show anything unexpected other than he's a better boxer than some give him credit for, and Taylor is still living off his narrow Hopkins wins. I could see another Lacy type performance from Calzaghe if these two meet... I think RJJ would give Calzaghe more problems than Pavlik.

Plus, im talking a Calzaghe type stoppage from a barrage of slap-like punches, not a one punch KO leaving Pavlik out cold!!

I think he wins a lopsided UD. A younger Calzaghe would've stopped him but them hand problems have stopped him throwing the big shots anymore. I think Pavlik will ensure he still punches back while Calzaghe is throwing 'punches in bunches' but you never know. Unless Pavlik feels he can score the KO it wouldn't be smart of him to take this fight..

Zag has a solid chin, along with remarkable ring generalship but his punching power has waned. I only see Pavlik stopping the fight or the ref on some bogus headbutt. Zag isn't going to down but neither is Pavlik.

Zag UD - by a long shot.

Yeah, being honest & looking at recent fights, a Calzaghe UD would be the wise choice... But he does overwhelm fighters, he was well unlucky not to stop Lacy & also looked like he could do it to Kessler at one point in their fight.

Nah, i stick by it, i see a Calzaghe stoppage. I just dont see Pavlik having the movement to prevent Calzaghe doing his thing at all...

Im Welsh but i still support David Haye in his fights, Even when he fought against Enzo Maccarinelli.

Being Welsh Has Nothing to do with it !!

Calzaghe should get a knighthood for his services to British Sport.

WAR CALZAGHE !!

Im Welsh but i still support David Haye in his fights, Even when he fought against Enzo Maccarinelli.

Being Welsh Has Nothing to do with it !!

Calzaghe should get a knighthood for his services to British Sport.

WAR CALZAGHE !!

It was a silly comment to make myself seem less biased...

I went to the Lacy, Kessler & Hopkins fight, so my Welsh hating cant be too strong!! Saying that, you're obviously not very patriotic anyway!!

I think Calzaghe would win, but I don't think he'd knock Pavlik out.

hopcalz-1.gif

I didnt say he'd KO Pavlik, I said he'll stop him. There's a big difference, especially where Calzaghe is concerned.

I don't think he even stops Pavlik. Calzaghe by decision.

I'd say theres a good chance that Joe would stop Pavlik who is a nobody really. Reading in the Ring edition this month on the review of Boxing it shows the top 10 P4P and how many other Ranked fighters they have fought ranked by the ring. My favourites are top with Mayweather 1st by a landslide then Hopkins, Then Pacquiao with I think Cotto and Hatton, Then Calzaghe. Out of the top 10 P4P Pavlik is bottom of the list from memory with Vasquez as the only person Kelly Pavlik has beat his Jermaine Taylor. Who won the belt from a guy who was struggling to make the weight (as can be seen by his move up drastically 15lbs asoon as he lost the rematch.
After winning the belt off a struggling to make weight Hopkins Taylor defended against unheard ofs and Corey Spinks who is top 5 in his own division but not Middleweight. Therefore Pavlik is overrated imo and is just having alot of smoke blown up his ass by White Americans who want a white american champ.
As much as I think Cotto is over-rated atleast he has fought better oposition than Pavlik. Joe would destory him probably via late stoppage or Landslide points victory

I'd say theres a good chance that Joe would stop Pavlik who is a nobody really. Reading in the Ring edition this month on the review of Boxing it shows the top 10 P4P and how many other Ranked fighters they have fought ranked by the ring. My favourites are top with Mayweather 1st by a landslide then Hopkins, Then Pacquiao with I think Cotto and Hatton, Then Calzaghe. Out of the top 10 P4P Pavlik is bottom of the list from memory with Vasquez as the only person Kelly Pavlik has beat his Jermaine Taylor. Who won the belt from a guy who was struggling to make the weight (as can be seen by his move up drastically 15lbs asoon as he lost the rematch.
After winning the belt off a struggling to make weight Hopkins Taylor defended against unheard ofs and Corey Spinks who is top 5 in his own division but not Middleweight. Therefore Pavlik is overrated imo and is just having alot of smoke blown up his ass by White Americans who want a white american champ.
As much as I think Cotto is over-rated atleast he has fought better oposition than Pavlik. Joe would destory him probably via late stoppage or Landslide points victory

Please, pavlik is strong and will press the entire fight and wont get tired. Calzaghie looked like shit in his biggest fight. If pavlik knows how to handle the south paw style he knocks out calzaghie. Calzaghie aint knockin shit out with those slapping girl punches.

Zag has a solid chin, along with remarkable ring generalship but his punching power has waned. I only see Pavlik stopping the fight or the ref on some bogus headbutt. Zag isn't going to down but neither is Pavlik.

Zag UD - by a long shot.

Calzaghe does not have a solid chin, he was flash knocked down by B-hop in the 1st. Pavlik's right hand is much harder than B-hops and if he lands it, it's lights out.

Pavlik can put up a lot of punches just like Calzaghe, except he's hitting twice as hard. I think Pavlik would get the KO eventually.

On May 28, 2008 it was announced that Calzaghe's next opponent would be Kelly Pavlik with his WBO middleweight title on the line.

Assuming he gets past gary

I'll have to verify this.....

Back