Cain Velasquez praises Sergei Pavlovich, notes he is "really tough to deal with"

Should Sergei be the next to fight Jones, if he doesn't retire?

• Total voters
My brother in christ im not convinced either but fighters do improve or have poor performances from time to time

Is he going to be a champ and defend as much as stipe or other legendary HW's? Fuck no, I don't think so. But he's obviously become much more aggressive and confident in his game since the Reem fight where he looked a bit gun shy

My brother in Christ <45>

My thoughts are the opposite ... Pavlovich has looked good facing "weak prey animals" ... and shit all over himself and failed when facing a predator in Overeem. (Watch the video again.)

Made especially funny, because Overeem was a "prey animal" when in the same cage with Stipe.

Maybe MMA math doesn't work sometimes — but a lot of times it does ;)

Last edited:
Excited for his next fight.

Such a shame the UFC is ignoring rightful title shots in favour of "money" fights. It's absurd that Merab, Sandhagen, Pavlovich, and Belal are easily the most deserving of title shots but are sitting out
you've got disney to thank for that. it sucks because i TRULY Believe that this crappy matchmaking is retarding the development of the sport and preventing today's athletes from reaching the skill level of guys like GSP and Jon Jones. That's why you see them come out of retirement and just pwn people is because they truly had to face a shark tank of diverse well rounded killers in order to reach the heights that they achieved. Nowadays guys just waltz in and get the dana white privilege and it makes them sip their own kool aid and not become a complete martial artist

Sorry... couldn't really think of a poll question.

Try "Would it be beneficial for Cain to distance himself from MMA until AFTER the Trial."

A "NEWS" tag on Cain's opinion on a fighter without a signed fight? There seems to be a push to get Cain's name back in conversation. So the conversation to have is whether that is beneficial or not considering his situation.

Too much was made of that loss. It was his first big fight in a big promotion vs an elite level and very experienced HW. Critics still knock him for that loss which is ridiculous.
This100%

Reactions: JKS
Too much was made of that loss. It was his first big fight in a big promotion vs an elite level and very experienced HW. Critics still knock him for that loss which is ridiculous.

It's weird to say but Overeem is super underrated.

His problem was he was Chinny and a to a degree front runner.

His problem wasn't his skill level.

everyone talks about his striking but
Overeem had a fantastic ground game.

Very interesting, I didn't know he had trained with Cain!!. That will be good for his wrestling if he does fight Jones

Very true, totally agree.

Overeem has beat so many top fighters, and even fights he lost, he was "winning" up until he just got laid out cold by a punch out of nowhere. A lot of those fights he was dominating.

Overeem has world class striking but his ground and pound is savage, Overeem had amazing ground and pound.. when he got on top he finished, his ground and pound is the most underrated thing about him.. he got so much force into it and always finished when he was on top.

I am not surprised Overeem beat the snot out of Sergei, because Overeem has beat the snot out of MANY great fighters in MMA and kickboxing, the only problem with him is when the fight starts to turn against him and he seemed to get caught with a punch kinda out of nowhere and gets knocked out

As a casualty investigator, for 35 years, who has built court cases for a living, likely longer than you've been alive, — it's not "an argument" — it's evidence.

I'm convinced by the scenario. Pavlovich was helpless, when pressured by a better man.

That same "better man" who was similarly pressured and destroyed by Stipe, in almost exactly the same way.

Insane? <45>

It is exactly the opposite: it is insane to give Pavlovich "too much credit" ... when he folded like a $3 lawn chair, the moment he got pressured by a bigger/stronger man ... who himself folded like a $3 lawn chair, the moment he got pressured and pushed by Stipe.

Pavlovich has beaten absolutely nobody of note. (Just fat, overweight cans.)

Denial ≠ Rebuttal

That fight was five years ago.

It's almost like people ...... get better. *GASP*

Imagine saying Overeem lost to the "better man" Yuriy Kochine. Not once, but twice. Two separate times Yuriy was the "better man" than Overeem, who is just half as much of a man as Yuriy, if even that. If Overeem was a man at all he wouldn't have ever lost to Kochkine, who's clearly twice the man that Overeem is, cause Overeem is really just half of a man cause he lost a fight to some guy years ago. Real men wouldn't do that. It doesn't matter who Overeem beat after that, they're all just fat cans and hardly even men. As you can guess, they are somewhere near 50% less of a man than Kochine himself. It's simple mathematics.

That fight was five years ago.

It's almost like people ...... get better. *GASP*

My issue is that we havent seen anything except early knockouts from Pavlovich since that fight. I'm sure he's gotten better. But we need to see it in action.

17 submission wins and was the European ADCC trials winner. I agree, I don't know why that gets so neglected. He was a much more rounded fighter than people acknowledge.

It also drove me nuts when people call him a runner. He did it on occasion (such as the Stipe fight), but most of the time it was to gain space to square up for an exchange.

My issue is that we havent seen anything except early knockouts from Pavlovich since that fight. I'm sure he's gotten better. But we need to see it in action.

I think Blaydes was supposed to be that guy that tested out his grappling, etc. But he ran through him like everyone else. I agree though, we don't know what he'll be like once he runs into someone that he's not basically just mauling. That's why a Jones fight would have been great, but I highly doubt Jones ever steps into the ring with Sergei.

Good read!! The next fight for Sergei is the one. Back when he came into the UFC I predicted he would eventually be champion.
Honestly. That would have been a good poll question..

Will Sergei become UFC Heavyweight Champion?

<seedat>

View attachment 1005620

Former champ Cain Velasquez offered high praise for Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight standout Sergei Pavlovich.

Pavlovich (18-1) and fellow contender Tom Aspinall are widely regarded as part of the next generation to potentially rule over the UFC’s heavyweight division. Recently asked about his opinion on the division, Velasquez hailed Aspinall and especially Pavlovich as future champ prospects.

Velasquez also revealed that he had trained with Pavlovich at American Kickboxing Academy several years ago. The former champ noted that while he still acquits himself well in training, Pavlovich was one of the few he found “difficult” to deal with. He also lauded the wrestling skills of Pavlovich, who is currently on a six-fight first-round KO streak. The 41-year-old recently told The Schmo:

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/C...-Notes-He-Is-Really-Tough-to-Deal-With-191339

Pav would be dismissed faster than Gane was.

Gane was transformed from Jones killer to Can within minutes after their fight

Pav will be reduced to a has-been that lost to Overeem immediately after the fight is signed.

Well, first of all I am 42 lol. So no, you haven't been some investigator of what?? longer than I've been alive.

I really don't need a rant on your opinion on this fight. I've heard it about a dozen times.

I was just curious as to why you bring up your argument in every single Sergei thread posting the video of the fight, and then going into the same rant talking about Overeem and Stipe etc. It's not even on the topic, but yet you feel the need to express this opinion over and over. I just wanna know why?

The same reason certain people bring up Martins when a thread is about Islam.
The act like people don't get better or something lol.

As a casualty investigator, for 35 years, who has built court cases for a living, likely longer than you've been alive, — it's not "an argument" — it's evidence.
I'm convinced by the scenario. Pavlovich was helpless, when pressured by a better man.
That same "better man" who was similarly pressured and destroyed by Stipe, in almost exactly the same way.
Insane? <45>
It is exactly the opposite: it is insane to give Pavlovich "too much credit" ... when he folded like a $3 lawn chair, the moment he got pressured by a bigger/stronger man ... who himself folded like a $3 lawn chair, the moment he got pressured and pushed by Stipe.
Pavlovich has beaten absolutely nobody of note. (Just fat, overweight cans.)
Denial ≠ Rebuttal
1) its been a longer period of time from that fight to Pavs most recent fight than to his MMA debut. there's a concept called growth that your brain seem unable to comprehend.

2) It was his UFC (and essentially big leagues) debut. How many powerful fighters, Miocic, Ngannou, Aspinall, Cain, Gane, Blaydes... got a top 5 fighter as their debut? How many got so much better? Take Miocic. After he lost to JDS he came back and beat the brakes off Hunt. Rogan called it the rub; you hit another level and you either grow and adapt or become mentally defeated. Do you know why fighters don't immediately take big fights despite being touted as prospects? It's because theres a difference between a prospect and a contender.

3) He literally fights completely different than he did back then,when he was far more tentative and green.

4) nobody cares what you do because it has no bearing on the argument. Literally one of the first things you learn in law school before you even started classes (heck, you learn this in undergrad philosophy 101) is appeal to authority is a mere low level manipulation tactic. if you had to resort to that then you must not think your argument by itself is good enough, which it isn't.

I have been a casualty investigator since 1988, so since you're 42, that's been since you were a snot-nosed 5-year-old.
I recommend you investigate getting some math skills. It is impossible for someone who is 42 today to have been 5 in 1988.

Sergei haters will find a way to discredit Pav's wrestling even though Khabib and Cain have both complimented him now.
Anyone who knocks anyone because they lost to Overeem is insane.
In his debut lol

Back