Cain Velasquez praises Sergei Pavlovich, notes he is "really tough to deal with"

Should Sergei be the next to fight Jones, if he doesn't retire?

• Total voters

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
upload_2023-10-9_15-8-48.png

Former champ Cain Velasquez offered high praise for Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight standout Sergei Pavlovich.

Pavlovich (18-1) and fellow contender Tom Aspinall are widely regarded as part of the next generation to potentially rule over the UFC’s heavyweight division. Recently asked about his opinion on the division, Velasquez hailed Aspinall and especially Pavlovich as future champ prospects.

Velasquez also revealed that he had trained with Pavlovich at American Kickboxing Academy several years ago. The former champ noted that while he still acquits himself well in training, Pavlovich was one of the few he found “difficult” to deal with. He also lauded the wrestling skills of Pavlovich, who is currently on a six-fight first-round KO streak. The 41-year-old recently told The Schmo:

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/C...-Notes-He-Is-Really-Tough-to-Deal-With-191339

Good read!! The next fight for Sergei is the one. Back when he came into the UFC I predicted he would eventually be champion.
That Oldereem debut and apathetic loss REALLY killed his hype-train right from the get-go. But I thought as you did and am glad that he's now getting the deserved hype.

Reactions: JKS
That Oldereem debut and apathetic loss REALLY killed his hype-train right from the get-go. But I thought as you did and am glad that he's now getting the deserved hype.

Too much was made of that loss. It was his first big fight in a big promotion vs an elite level and very experienced HW. Critics still knock him for that loss which is ridiculous.

Pavlovich is only effective against gun-shy, cowardly "runners" ... fringe contenders who shit themselves the moment they take a shot.

Alastair Overeem put on a clinic of how to annihilate Pavlovich: Pressure him, force him backward, put him up against the fence, take him down.

Overeem made Pavlovich look like a rank amateur.

Stipe would destroy him, as he destroyed Overeem.

Last edited:

Alastair Overeem put on a clinic of how to annihilate Pavlovich.

Pressure him, put him up against the fence, take him down.

OMG! Are you still on this? Anytime Sergei gets brought up you come in with this argument.

You're obsessed with this scenario. I've never seen someone so hung up on a particular fight and point. It really is insane.

OMG! Are you still on this? Anytime Sergei gets brought up you come in with this argument.

As a casualty investigator, for 35 years, who has built court cases for a living, likely longer than you've been alive, — it's not "an argument" — it's evidence.

OMG! You're obsessed with this scenario.

I'm convinced by the scenario. Pavlovich was helpless, when pressured by a better man.

That same "better man" who was similarly pressured and destroyed by Stipe, in almost exactly the same way.

I've never seen someone so hung up on a particular fight and point. It really is insane.

Insane? <45>

It is exactly the opposite: it is insane to give Pavlovich "too much credit" ... when he folded like a $3 lawn chair, the moment he got pressured by a bigger/stronger man ... who himself folded like a $3 lawn chair, the moment he got pressured and pushed by Stipe.

Pavlovich has beaten absolutely nobody of note. (Just fat, overweight cans.)

Denial ≠ Rebuttal

As a casualty investigator, for 35 years, who has built court cases for a living, likely longer than you've been alive, — it's not "an argument" — it's evidence.

I'm convinced by the scenario. Pavlovich was helpless, when pressured by a better man.

That same "better man" was similarly pressured and destroyed by Stipe, in almost exactly the same way.

Insane? <45>

It is exactly the opposite: it is insane to give Pavlovich "too much credit" ... when he folded like a $3 lawn chair, the moment he got pressured by a bigger/stronger man ... who himself folded like a $3 lawn chair, the moment he got pressured and pushed by Stipe.

Pavlovich has beaten absolutely nobody of note. Just a fat, overweight cans.

Denial ≠ Rebuttal

Well, first of all I am 42 lol. So no, you haven't been some investigator of what?? longer than I've been alive.

I really don't need a rant on your opinion on this fight. I've heard it about a dozen times.

I was just curious as to why you bring up your argument in every single Sergei thread posting the video of the fight, and then going into the same rant talking about Overeem and Stipe etc. It's not even on the topic, but yet you feel the need to express this opinion over and over. I just wanna know why?

Well, first of all I am 42 lol. So no, you haven't been some investigator of what?? longer than I've been alive.

I have been a casualty investigator since 1988, so since you're 42, that's been since you were a snot-nosed 5-year-old.

I really don't need a rant on your opinion on this fight. I've heard it about a dozen times.

By the same token, I really don't need "your opinion" on my opinion <45>

I was just curious as to why you bring up your argument in every single Sergei thread posting the video of the fight, and then going into the same rant talking about Overeem and Stipe etc. It's not even on the topic, but yet you feel the need to express this opinion over and over. I just wanna know why?

To address your curiosity, it's because I'm a fight fan.

And as such, I am unconvinced by Sergei Pavlovich, for the exact reasons stated above.

If you're convinced, fine.

I am not.

That same "better man" who was similarly pressured and destroyed by Stipe, in almost exactly the same way.

Insane? <45>

Pavlovich has beaten absolutely nobody of note. (Just fat, overweight cans.)

Denial ≠ Rebuttal

1000000% agree with all of this

Pav or Aspinall. HW is gonna be fun once Jones
Excited for his next fight.

Such a shame the UFC is ignoring rightful title shots in favour of "money" fights. It's absurd that Merab, Sandhagen, Pavlovich, and Belal are easily the most deserving of title shots but are sitting out
Agree with all but Merab and Belal. Both of those guys did it to themselves. Merab chose friendship over a shot and Belal is the most boring fighter in recent memory. It's a business at the end of the day.

I have been a casualty investigator since 1988, so since you're 42, that's been since you were a snot-nosed 5-year-old.

By the same token, I really don't need "your opinion" on my opinion <45>

To address your curiosity, it's because I'm a fight fan.

And as such, I am unconvinced by Sergei Pavlovich, for the exact reasons stated above.

If you're convinced, fine.

I am not.
So that's why your posts are always so odd, you're senile. Goddamn.

Pavlovich is only effective against gun-shy, cowardly "runners" ... fringe contenders who shit themselves the moment they take a shot.

Alastair Overeem put on a clinic of how to annihilate Pavlovich: Pressure him, force him backward, put him up against the fence, take him down.

My brother in christ im not convinced either but fighters do improve or have poor performances from time to time

Is he going to be a champ and defend as much as stipe or other legendary HW's? Fuck no, I don't think so. But he's obviously become much more aggressive and confident in his game since the Reem fight where he looked a bit gun shy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back