Cain "Can't Do That Against Overeem"?

any other examples of teh mystical uberknee?

Not just an example of an uperknee eaten by a fighter attempting a takedown, but an uperknee by a fighter as he is going backwards. We all know Cain goes forward and never retracts, so that knee will likely happen while Overeem is backing up. If that happens, Overeem goes to the ground right away by a Cain takedown.

As crazy as it sounds, I think we will see Cain on his back at some point during the fight. JDS was more avoiding the takedown, trying to stay on his feet not really sprawling, He could of ended up on top of Cain a couple of times but chose to avoid the ground completely.

Im not trying to compare any of Reems recent victims to Cain by any stretch of the imagination, But every one that gets close enough to clinch Overeem gets tossed like a rag doll.

Nothing is for certain in MMA, especially in the heavyweight division where any of the top 10 could end the fight with one big punch, or even if they can't they have wicked subs and the torque they get because of their weight can snap limbs just as fast but if Cain puts the pressure on ANYONE like he did against JDS in every fight henceforth, I don't see Overeem or anyone else putting him in danger unless they land a huge shot like JDS did on Cain or Cain did on JDS where it either takes him out instantly or hurts him so bad he doesn't recover for the rest of the fight, no one else has cardio like that in the heavyweight division, the workmanlike mentality with cardio to back it up reminds me of Nick Diaz but with a shitload of wrestling to back it up *and I know Nick Diaz and Cain are not the same I just see the commonality where they are known for keeping up a pace their opponents can't match (and the heavyweight division overall not being in nearly as good shape as the welterweight division (relative to their weight, obviously) I want Reem to win the title but unless Cain had a miracle performance or he gets caught out of nowhere I see him whooping a whole lot of ass before he loses the belt again. The Reem is in shape obviously but keeping in mind how muscular he is there's no way he could match that pace for 5 rounds, it's just not happening.

I really wonder this. But even in his MMA fights with Shogun, Lidell etc he displayed superior standup until he started gassing cause of cutting 30-40lbs before fights. People just scroll to the last seconds of the fight where he gets knocked out I guess.

I think it's pretty clear Overeem should beat Valesquez 90 out of 100 times.
Valesquez is smaller, less strong, no submission skills and no KO power (according fight science even GSP hits harder then him). The only way he can win is surviving the first two rounds and then win the next three by scoring more points while forcing the ground game. I can't see Cain finishing the fight early. Aside from Reem and Struve I think Cain "easily" beats everyone else at HW.

Overeem however has KO power, uberknee's, uberkicks and nasty sub game not only from his back but also from the mount and standing! He finishes fights so easy ever since he's a HW that I can't see Cain surviving more then two rounds.

I think JDS is more dangerous to Overeem then Cain because of his KO power and Reems poor head movement. HW Reem does have a strong yaw (look at the Belfort 2, Spong, Bonjaski fights for people that only watch Lidell&Rua GIFs of a dehydrated Reem), however he panics slightly when he gets rocked. Fighters like Dan Henderson automatically clinch up but instead he covers up and I think JDS can and will exploit this. Therefore I think Overeem will prefer to take JDS down (as he did with Rogers) just to prevent running into a big punch.

I think the only HW that can beat Reem at the moment is Werdum 2.0. He learned from his horrible performance, has developed a better stand up game that will also hide his take down attempts better. Needles to say he's incredibly dangerous on the ground.

OMG LOL, Cain would take down the reem again and again until Overeem is completely gassed and then he would eat more elbows than whatever amount of pounds of horse meat he has eaten in his entire life.

Nothing is for certain in MMA, especially in the heavyweight division where any of the top 10 could end the fight with one big punch, or even if they can't they have wicked subs and the torque they get because of their weight can snap limbs just as fast but if Cain puts the pressure on ANYONE like he did against JDS in every fight henceforth, I don't see Overeem or anyone else putting him in danger unless they land a huge shot like JDS did on Cain or Cain did on JDS where it either takes him out instantly or hurts him so bad he doesn't recover for the rest of the fight, no one else has cardio like that in the heavyweight division, the workmanlike mentality with cardio to back it up reminds me of Nick Diaz but with a shitload of wrestling to back it up *and I know Nick Diaz and Cain are not the same I just see the commonality where they are known for keeping up a pace their opponents can't match (and the heavyweight division overall not being in nearly as good shape as the welterweight division (relative to their weight, obviously) I want Reem to win the title but unless Cain had a miracle performance or he gets caught out of nowhere I see him whooping a whole lot of ass before he loses the belt again. The Reem is in shape obviously but keeping in mind how muscular he is there's no way he could match that pace for 5 rounds, it's just not happening.

This White belt know his shit...

Haumono is a former rugby player like Anthony Mundine is a former rugby player.

The fact that the 21-1 Australian HW boxing champion knocked out Kyotaro in a boxing match isn't really big evidence to prove your point.

Mundine started training earlier than Haumono and he went further in Boxing, Haumono was ranked over a 100 at the time and koed one of the top K-1 fighters who was mainly a Boxer. I'm just comparing the talent pools.

As crazy as it sounds, I think we will see Cain on his back at some point during the fight. JDS was more avoiding the takedown, trying to stay on his feet not really sprawling, He could of ended up on top of Cain a couple of times but chose to avoid the ground completely.

Im not trying to compare any of Reems recent victims to Cain by any stretch of the imagination, But every one that gets close enough to clinch Overeem gets tossed like a rag doll.

Cain is too athletic and good of a wrestler to get tossed around by Overeem. I don't think either would overpower each other.

When Overeem gasses bad, he gets finished. Just like the same thing with JDS, if Overeem can't land a big shot, he's going to get worked and he'll lose to Cain, possibly finished.

And we don't know about Alistair's defense on the feet, it IS good, but K1 hasn't proved much because those big gloves definitely help block your face. We'll see what happens though, I think Cain would beat him.

We actually do know how his striking defense is when he's threatened by TD's- watch Werdum's fight. He got tagged multiple times because just like JDS he got consumed by the fear of being taken and held down.
Difference is Werdum cant pressure the Reem the way Cain can with his superior pace, cardio and wrestling.

OMG LOL, Cain would take down the reem again and again until Overeem is completely gassed and then he would eat more elbows than whatever amount of pounds of horse meat he has eaten in his entire life.

No that is JDS that just got gorilla smashed by Cain.

Overeem is nothing like JDS because JDS is nothing but a brawler with no other skills.

Cain is too athletic and good of a wrestler to get tossed around by Overeem. I don't think either would overpower each other.

Brock was too good a wrestler for Overeem also,he got bullied around the octagon like a child and couldnt do anything. Brock took Cain down twice.

Maybe he meant that Cain can't dive on legs like he did against JDS. Which I agree with, but i don't think he will need to. JDS has better TDD than Overeem

JDS is not even close to having the TDD,grappling or wrestling level of Overeem.

uhm yes Overeem is a much better defensive boxer than JDS. How hard is this to understand? JDS keeps his hands at his waist. His defensive boxing is very mediocre.

Very much agreed upon and fact. No matter the opponent JDS has always had his hands near his waist. Saying JDS did it especially for the Cain fight is retarded because he has always fought that way.

No that is JDS that just got gorilla smashed by Cain.

Overeem is nothing like JDS because JDS is nothing but a brawler with no other skills.

Lol, keep reaching. It really helps your argument.

if overeem didn't knock cain or JDS out in the first he would crumble under either's pressure soon after.That guy folds every time he's in a tough situation i'm sure he's mentally stronger than he used to be but that's something you can't change too much.

They were just saying he has to be more careful with overeem which is bullshit JDS is a much better counter puncher.Overeem just covers up then comes back at you.

they are saying overeem will make cain pay if he goes for sloppy shots like that, where as JDS doesn't have the skill set to really do that.

they are saying overeem will make cain pay if he goes for sloppy shots like that, where as JDS doesn't have the skill set to really do that.

They were sloppy because Junior made them look sloppy by easily stuffing them.

Last edited:
People will be shocked when Cain is physically overpowered by Overeem, Cain will try to take him down but end up in the clinch instead and Overeem will push him up against the cage easily, from here Overeem dictates when the breaks in the clinch and times his strikes which find Cains chin and end the fight.
very possible. cain will run into a wall.

A lot of people seem to believe that Cain will use the same strategy with AO as with JDS. I don't think that's likely - different opponent=different strategy.

I predict a lot of boxing from range from Cain in the early round or two with TDs when AO kicks. Then more TDs in the latter rounds. If Cain gets past the first, I predict a win for him. If AO wins, it'll likely be in the first.

Regardless of who wins, it'll be a great fight. Two excellent heavyweights who can strike and grapple.

thats true. he needs definitely a different strategy, not rushing for td

Back