Cain "Can't Do That Against Overeem"?

Overeem does not exactly have the best chin out there. He's been knocked out what, 5-6 times? and TKO's 4-5 more(As well as throwing the towel to strikes)I have serious doubts about people who think he will just walk through Dos Santos.

Christ, Dos Santos loses 1 fight after a great run and people forget how damn good he is and forget that if Overeem gets caught, its lights out

Overeem doesn't have an iron chin but you are making out like he has a bad chin, he doesn't, do you know the guys that KOed Overeem are KO artists, Liddell, Shogun, and Sergei, those guys can KO anyone.

As for the fight you are talking about where the towel was thrown in, Overeem had a neck injury going into the fight and they threw in the towel when he wasn't able to continue due to the neck injury, you don't play around with something like your ability to walk.

Overeem doesn't have an iron chin but you are making out like he has a bad chin, he doesn't, do you know the guys that KOed Overeem are KO artists, Liddell, Shogun, and Sergei, those guys can KO anyone.

As for the fight you are talking about where the towel was thrown in, Overeem had a neck injury going into the fight and they threw in the towel when he wasn't able to continue due to the neck injury, you don't play around with something like your ability to walk.

Oh don't get me wrong. Overreem is not a complete glass Joe or anything. But he is not a guy who can eat a lot of good shots. Yes those guys mentioned are knockout artists, but err Dos Santos does not exactly nerf his punches either. He is a good technical striker that does possess KO power with great footwork and above average takedown defense(Despite what we saw last fight)

And some people can recover from knockouts better than others obviously. To some, a knockout is the beginning of a series of problems with their chin because they are now easier to knock out(Chuck Liddell, Wanderlei Silva, Eric Lindros lol), while some fighters keep going like nothing happened. Some guys can go to war for a lot longer than others. Overeem seems to still be able to go to war, but a Dos Santos punch could still spell his doom.

I am aware Overeem's corner threw the towel when Nog was hurting him(Which is understandable given the injury). He returned to LHW immediately following that fight where he was recovered from his injury and then tapped when Arona had his back and was beating the crap out of him. that was the fight I was referencing. I keep forgetting saying "throwing in the towel" is literal in this sport as opposed to other sports where you are merely stating that the team has "given up"

I am not completely sold one way or the other on who would win. I just hate reading a bunch of drivel about how Dos Santos has no chance when I feel he is a slight favorite.

some silly responses so far, guess I shouldn't have expected much. if you actually watch the video you see it's guys who are friends with DC at the table, and guys who also train with Cain, so they likely aren't saying Overeem would tool Cain. I wasn't aware Reem was widely known for his ability to defend the overhand right, though.

oh yeah just ask the ice man

Oh don't get me wrong. Overreem is not a complete glass Joe or anything. But he is not a guy who can eat a lot of good shots. Yes those guys mentioned are knockout artists, but err Dos Santos does not exactly nerf his punches either. He is a good technical striker that does possess KO power with great footwork and above average takedown defense(Despite what we saw last fight)

And some people can recover from knockouts better than others obviously. To some, a knockout is the beginning of a series of problems with their chin because they are now easier to knock out(Chuck Liddell, Wanderlei Silva, Eric Lindros lol), while some fighters keep going like nothing happened. Some guys can go to war for a lot longer than others. Overeem seems to still be able to go to war, but a Dos Santos punch could still spell his doom.

I am aware Overeem's corner threw the towel when Nog was hurting him(Which is understandable given the injury). He returned to LHW immediately following that fight where he was recovered from his injury and then tapped when Arona had his back and was beating the crap out of him. that was the fight I was referencing. I keep forgetting saying "throwing in the towel" is literal in this sport as opposed to other sports where you are merely stating that the team has "given up"

I am not completely sold one way or the other on who would win. I just hate reading a bunch of drivel about how Dos Santos has no chance when I feel he is a slight favorite.

No problem, they both have a chance when they do eventually fight and its fine to favor either guy over the other, personally I think Overeem has more tools and is a better striker than JDS so I think he would win but anyone thinking either guy would walk through the other isn't giving enough credit to them.

Cain can't shoot sloppy telegraphed C1's from 20ft away against Overeem like he did against JDS because Overeem actually uses the lower half of his body whilst fighting.

I def think that Cain's strategy against JDS can be re-used against Overeem. Cain just needs to worry about kicks and knees more when executing it. If Cain can get out of the first round without being blown up I think it's a nearly guaranteed victory.

Frankly I'd rather see Overeem fight JDS, but the Overeem/Cain fight has to happen (assuming overeem gets passed Silva)

With Cain's chin victory can never be guaranteed.
K1 Kongo nearly ko'd him thrice.

When Overeem gasses bad, he gets finished. Just like the same thing with JDS, if Overeem can't land a big shot, he's going to get worked and he'll lose to Cain, possibly finished.

And we don't know about Alistair's defense on the feet, it IS good, but K1 hasn't proved much because those big gloves definitely help block your face. We'll see what happens though, I think Cain would beat him.

Definitely finished. Overeem wouldn't have lasted like Junior did at UFC 155. He never has.

Definitely finished. Overeem wouldn't have lasted like Junior did at UFC 155. He never has.

nah. Reem would have put a knee down cains throat if he tried for a single like he was against junior.

reem > cain > jds

this will be proven in 2013

When Overeem gasses bad, he gets finished. Just like the same thing with JDS, if Overeem can't land a big shot, he's going to get worked and he'll lose to Cain, possibly finished.

And we don't know about Alistair's defense on the feet, it IS good, but K1 hasn't proved much because those big gloves definitely help block your face. We'll see what happens though, I think Cain would beat him.

LOL, I wish Cain would try his hand at K-1 to see just how much those gloves make a difference in defending. DO they offer more padding against a punch than an MMA glove? Obviously, but they don't offer enough padding to outright stop a knockout shot.

If Reem touches him, Cain's going down.

I think this is a very interesting fight that can go either way. Either Cain will wear AO down with his relentless pace and just pound him out like he did JDS, or AO will catch him with an Uberknee and that'll be lights out for Cain. Cain has a better chin than he's given credit for (not the best, but good) but no one can take an Uberknee to the chin.

It's pretty clear that Werdum wasn't threating Reem with a takedown when he landed the combo on him. Overeem had his hands high anticipating strikes to be thrown, but Werdum got through his defense.

Dos Santos has fought guys who threatened with takedowns (Carwin, Nelson, Velasquez, Werdum, Gonzaga etc) and none of them (except Velasquez in the rematch) had anything for him standing.

yea, and did he finish carwin or nelson?

no you dumbass.

JDS has outsruck Yvel who is one of the best strikers at HW of all time. Carwin is a wrestler who hits like a truck, he's great with his dirty boxing but couldn't use it on Dos Santos. Saying he hasn't outstruck any good strikers is laughable. He also outstruck Velasquez.

Cain outstruck (not KTFO'd, sir) him by coming in with takedowns and changing levels. It was smart, if he tried to come in with only his boxing he would have gotten owned. His footwork and head movement is FAR better than Reem's, Reem's head movement is slow and he is just a plotted plant, no footwork. JDS has much more effective footwork, and just look at the Yvel gif to see JDS's head movement.

Reem's defense is 90% blocking. His head movement is slow, that's why he doesn't rely on it.

To say JDS is not a good boxer shows that you know nothing about boxing fundamentals.

lol yvel is so far past his prime you might as well say mir is an elite striker cus he ko'd cro cop.

lmao u then point to cain outstriking jds and attribute it to the fear of a takedown. which is exactly my point prior to the fight.

overeems tentativeness against werdum? fear of takedown? noooooo

yea, and did he finish carwin or nelson?

no you dumbass.

With all due respect, what is your point, sir? Neither of them had anything for Junior, they were both absolutely outclassed.

lol yvel is so far past his prime you might as well say mir is an elite striker cus he ko'd cro cop.

lmao u then point to cain outstriking jds and attribute it to the fear of a takedown. which is exactly my point prior to the fight.

overeems tentativeness against werdum? fear of takedown? noooooo

Yvel at that point was a great striker. You realize that fight was a few years ago, right?

Cain outstruck him by changing levels, he came in looking for a takedown and then hit JDS with some strikes. You can say that JDS's desire to stop the TD at all costs caused him to get outstruck on the feet, but that's not what happened in the Reem/Werdum gif that I showed. Reem had his hands up high expecting Werdum to strike with him, while Junior had his hands low against Cain to defend the takedowns. Reem wasn't expecting a takedown at that particular moment, so it's not the same thing at all.

With all due respect, what is your point, sir? Neither of them had anything for Junior, they were both absolutely outclassed.

Yvel at that point was a great striker. You realize that fight was a few years ago, right?

Cain outstruck him by changing levels, he came in looking for a takedown and then hit JDS with some strikes. You can say that JDS's desire to stop the TD at all costs caused him to get outstruck on the feet, but that's not what happened in the Reem/Werdum gif that I showed. Reem had his hands up high expecting Werdum to strike with him, while Junior had his hands low against Cain to defend the takedowns. Reem wasn't expecting a takedown at that particular moment, so it's not the same thing at all.
lmao. yes because the only way you can take someone down is to shoot in on them.

clinch takedowns don't exist.

werdum is a wrestler like cain.

he's not a judo guy...

Back