• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Brian Cox Blames Daniel Day-Lewis for Method Acting Obsession

Is DDL responsible for this method acting obsession?

• Total voters
Cox is hardly the first actor to call out Method Acting. While shooting Marathon Man, Hoffman decided to stay awake for 72 hours so he would look and feel like a man at the end of his endurance during the infamous, "Is it safe?" scene. When he informed his co-star, Laurence Olivier, the legendary thespian asked,

"Have you considered just acting, dear boy?""
I really enjoy the stories of Leto trying to be method for the Joker in Suicide Squad in the rest of the cast just being like fuck off, dude <Lmaoo>

This quip was my first thought as Cox whinged at how annoying the method style is.

Olivier was the man.

Olivier starred in The Boys From Brazil. At the end of the movie, he has a fight scene with Gregory Peck, who plays Josef Menegle. The scene took several days to shoot, as neither actor was a young man, and both suffered from health issues.

Peck told the story of how he and Olivier would lay on the floor of the set between takes, both of them giggling at the absurdity of men their age filming a brutal fight scene:)

are we trying to shame a guy for being a great actor? That seems odd.

DDL is the most over rated actor probably ever. He's a ham.

He was a more natural actor before the 2000's when he started playing over the top characters.

I actually like Cox better as an actor since he seems to be able to blend into any role without unnecessarily calling attention to himself. I couldn't see DDL doing the comedic roles Cox often does either.

He was a more natural actor before the 2000's when he started playing over the top characters.

I actually like Cox better as an actor since he seems to be able to blend into any role without unnecessarily calling attention to himself. I couldn't see DDL doing the comedic roles Cox often does either.

Cox blows him out of the water.

Have you seen The Ballad of Jack and Rose or The Phantom Thread? He's pretty naturalistic in those films.

LOL, um, hello?

141111-marlon-brando-17-1024x652.jpg
More like
upload_2023-5-21_8-43-45.jpeg

I always forget that there's an actor named Brian Cox. When I read the thread title, my first thought was "why would a physicist be talking about acting?".

https://www.indiewire.com/features/...is-method-acting-is-american-shit-1234820313/

"Just do the job," Cox said. "Don't 'identify."

Brian Cox is calling out the very American way of Method acting.

The Scottish star of “Succession” addressed co-star Jeremy Strong’s approach to his character Kendall Roy in the hit HBO series, which is concluding after its upcoming fourth and final season.

“I’m glad he is not in pain personally,” Cox told Variety, calling Strong “a wonderful actor.” Yet the Method acting debate is rooted in what Strong represents, according to Cox.

“It’s really a cultural clash,” he said. “I don’t put up with all that American shit. I’m sorry. All that sort of ‘I think, therefore I feel.’ Just do the job. Don’t ‘identify.'”

Cox pointed to Strong’s former boss and mentor Daniel Day-Lewis, with whom Cox co-starred with on 1997’s “The Boxer.”

“He retired at the age of 55, and I’m going, ‘That’s when the roles become really interesting. You’ve retired just at the point when actually the roles get better!'” Cox said. “Of course, Jeremy was Dan Day-Lewis’ assistant. So he’s learned all that stuff from Dan.”

Day-Lewis is from London, to note, while Strong is from Boston.

As for “Succession” wrapping up, Cox admitted, “I’ll miss the cast, I’ll miss the atmosphere, I’ll miss the bonhomie. [My character] Logan, probably, I’ll miss a bit. But upward and onwards.”

Cox previously said that Strong’s Method acting was “fucking annoying” and encouraged his co-star to relax.

“He’s a very good actor, and the rest of the ensemble is all OK with this. But knowing a character and what the character does is only part of the skill set,” Cox said. “He’s still that guy, because he feels if he went somewhere else he’d lose it. But he won’t! Strong is talented. He’s fucking gifted. When you’ve got the gift, celebrate the gift. Go back to your trailer and have a hit of marijuana, you know?”

Strong himself recently addressed the ongoing debate over his acting process in a GQ cover story.

“Everyone’s entitled to have their feelings,” Strong said. “I also think Brian Cox, for example, he’s earned the right to say whatever the fuck he wants. There was no need to address that or do damage control. I feel a lot of love for my siblings and my father on the show. And it is like a family in the sense that, and I’m sure they would say this, too, you don’t always like the people that you love. I do always respect them.”

He added, “I saw that Brian Cox also said, in a follow-up interview, that ‘there is a certain amount of pain at the root of Jeremy, and I just feel for that pain.’ You know, I don’t think so. I don’t think there is. There’s certainly a lot of pain in Kendall, and I haven’t really met Brian outside of the confines of that.”

Brian-Cox-Daniel-Day-Lewis.png
Never heard of Brian Cox before, but Brando is the reason method acting became a thing.

I like Daniel Day-Lewis, and respect his discerning career choices, but on pure talent and charisma he can’t compete with Brando, and it’s just ignorance to credit Daniel Day-Lewis with its ascendancy in Hollywood. That was all Brando.

That said, I think method acting is shit the overwhelming majority of time. I’d rather see more classically trained stage actors in Hollywood than more shitty method actors that just play themselves over and over like Robert Downey Jr.

This is where us (the viewers) opinions mean nothing, all we do is watch, enjoy and then move on to something else. Multiple people in the business have an issue with method acting and it's easy to see why, imagine dealing with weird shit everyday as if actors aren't hard enough anyway.

It's kind of a weird thing to in general, and sounds super cringe to be around. I think Charlize Theron had huge issues with Tom Hardy doing it in Mad Max going as far to say just be fucking normal we are trying to eat at lunch or something.

That being said it has proven to produce amazing performances and they are artists after all so you gotta expect a little weird.

Also, whose the dick that said Brian Cox isn't good enough to critique this? Cox can say whatever he wants about the film industry he is a legend.

Theron really can't comment on being normal after what she's done to her child.

Imagine arguing the means when the end is so plainly the pursuit.

The ability to snap in and out of character is a much harder skill than becoming a character to enable an ability to express it.

This isn't to say it produces finer results, but those who can pull off more convincing roles without having to go 100% emulation are technically, better actors imo. But as noted, who cares how they get there?

Some of my favorite actors are method actors

But none of those guys are cooler than Steve McQueen.

Todays Hollywood is more concerned with Diversity than solid performances. Method acting does not fit with younger generation anyway. Too much commitment.

I mean I like his over the top characters but I do wish we'd gotten a bit more of DLL ala Unbearable Lightness of Being, no over the top mannerisms just a very charismatic intense film star.

Daniel Day Lewis probably said shenanigans one too many times.

He’s right. He’s got lunatics like Jared Leto sending dead animals to people on the set of Suicide Squad.

Back