Movies Daniel Day-Lewis ‘Says He’s Done’ With Acting: ‘He Opens Up the Streamers and There’s 7,000 Choices, None of Them Good’

You think he'll go back to acting on film or TV?

• Total voters
Money up until the point all your needs and concerns are satisfied buys happiness, but beyond that it just creates more "needs".

Rich people feeling they MUST make more to fit in with other rich people.

I doubt DDL will fall into that catorgary. If money was his sole motivating factor, he'd have whored out his fame and reputation into blockbusters. RDJ's Marvel contract was probably worth more than DDL made in his entire career. Producers trying to make the next Big Thing would have driven trucks full of cash up to DDL's house if he'd signed on the line that is dotted.

I get the impression that while he enjoys the comfotable lifestyle his talent has brought him, it was the drive to perfect his Art that was his primary motivation.

DDL ain't going Full Cage and spending millions buying ruined castles. ;)

I doubt DDL will fall into that catorgary. If money was his sole motivating factor, he'd have whored out his fame and reputation into blockbusters. RDJ's Marvel contract was probably worth more than DDL made in his entire career. Producers trying to make the next Big Thing would have driven trucks full of cash up to DDL's house if he'd signed on the line that is dotted.

I get the impression that while he enjoys the comfotable lifestyle his talent has brought him, it was the drive to perfect his Art that was his primary motivation.

DDL ain't going Full Cage and spending millions buying ruined castles. ;)

This is true, he would have been a bigger movie star if he wanted to. But he took a different road.

Although he's still worth 60 million, which is more than enough. That's if he's not a big spender, which he isn't I believe.

Not surprised to hear DDL feels exactly the same about the state of the film industry as many of us do on the board. Been saying this for years.

It's crap.
l@nd0 the truf.

He's pushing seventy, and considering what he puts into his roles I'm not surprised he's done.

I'm just grateful for what he's contributed over the years, what a fucking career.

I agree with the second part of course, I'm grateful.

I just think it's an odd thing to 'retire' from a successful acting career, when you can already take as many years off in between as you want anyway. But hey, great artists are often quirky. Whatever floats his boat, or drains his milkshake.

I agree with the second part of course, I'm grateful.

I just think it's an odd thing to 'retire' from a successful acting career, when you can already take as many years off in between as you want anyway. But hey, great artists are often quirky. Whatever floats his boat, or drains his milkshake.

I only mentioned because he's always shown over the top commitment to his roles. Maybe he doesn't want to do that any more and isn't willing to do less.

I only mentioned because he's always shown over the top commitment to his roles. Maybe he doesn't want to do that any more and isn't willing to do less.

I think he's just nutty. Now that I think about it, didn't he quit acting once before, to become a cobbler? A fucking cobbler.

Don't get me wrong though, I Love the guy. If my last cinema memory with him is to be when I saw THE PHANTOM THREAD in 70mm opening night, then so be it. Great times.

He's pushing seventy, and considering what he puts into his roles I'm not surprised he's done.

I'm just grateful for what he's contributed over the years, what a fucking career.

This very well said. We should be grateful he even made some movies and did some epic performances. He will go down as one of the greatest actors that ever lived, if not the greatest.

This very well said. We should be grateful he even made some movies and did some epic performances. He will go down as one of the greatest actors that ever lived, if not the greatest.

Talking about all time greats, I love this video about Hopkins. Next level stuff.

Talking about all time greats, I love this video about Hopkins. Next level stuff.

Anthony Hopkins is clearly one of the greatest actors to ever do it. I have him in my top 5.

Daniel Day-Lewis
Gary Oldman
Marlon Brando
Anthony Hopkins
Philip Seymour Hoffman

Back