Movies Daniel Day-Lewis ‘Says He’s Done’ With Acting: ‘He Opens Up the Streamers and There’s 7,000 Choices, None of Them Good’

You think he'll go back to acting on film or TV?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks to me this is it for him. It's been 6 years now, longest he's been away from making a film. He has his oldest son acting now, so I guess it's best he just rides onto the sunset.

ddl.png

4d31329997160b8254b0193e47a1f4d4

It sounds like Daniel Day-Lewis is serious about his retirement from acting and won’t be returning, at least according to his longtime director Jim Sheridan. The Irish filmmaker directed three of Day-Lewis’ most prominent films: “My Left Foot” (1989), “In the Name of the Father” (1993) and “The Boxer” (1997). Day-Lewis won the Oscar for best actor with “My Left Foot” and was also nominated for “In the Name of the Father.”

“He says he’s done. I keep talking to him,” Sheridan told ScreenDaily on the topic of Day-Lewis staying retired. “I’d love to do something with him again. He’s like everybody else. He opens up the streamers and there’s seven thousand choices, none of them are good. Film has been moved out of the public domain into a private domain – you have a remote, you can stop it. It’s not the same experience. It’d be great to see Daniel coming back and doing something because he’s so good.”
More from Variety

Day-Lewis announced his retirement from acting in June 2017, several months before the release of Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Phantom Thread.” That film, which garnered Day-Lewis yet another Oscar nomination for best actor, turned out to be his final movie.

“Daniel Day-Lewis will no longer be working as an actor,” the actor’s spokesperson said in a statement at the time. “He is immensely grateful to all of his collaborators and audiences over the many years. This is a private decision and neither he nor his representatives will make any further comment on this subject. ”

Later reflecting on his decision in an interview with W magazine, Day-Lewis said that “before making [‘Phantom Thread’], I didn’t know I was going to stop acting.”
Part of the reason Day-Lewis announced his retirement in a public statement was so he’d have a harder time getting out of it. He wanted to “draw a line” in the sand and make concrete plans to phase out of Hollywood.

“I knew it was uncharacteristic to put out a statement,” Day-Lewis said. “But I did want to draw a line. I didn’t want to get sucked back into another project. All my life, I’ve mouthed off about how I should stop acting, and I don’t know why it was different this time, but the impulse to quit took root in me, and that became a compulsion. It was something I had to do.”
Day-Lewis recently attended the National Board of Review awards and reunited with his “Gangs of New York” director Martin Scorsese, who stoked rumors about the actor possibly un-retiring by teasing a future collaboration between them.

“Thank you, Daniel. To receive this honor presented by Daniel is just an honor in itself,” Scorsese said while accepting the best director prize. “We did two films together and it’s one of the greatest experiences of my life, I must say. Maybe there’s time for one more. Maybe! He’s the best.”

Day-Lewis would follow his Oscar win for Sheridan’s “My Left Foot” with two more wins in the category thanks to “There Will Be Blood” and “Lincoln”

I don't know what it is, but the ending of 'The Age of the Innocence' suits this story about him rather well I believe.

people who love good movies will be like the talibans of the future, hiding in caves and watching 12 angry men deep underground on broken laptop screens powered by gas generators.

outside, they hear the rumbling of the Marvel popcorn-machine drones yelling at them to surrender and force-watch season 12 of SHE-HULK: Gender Oppression series.

So yeah, he shouldn't come back. It would be demeaning for him.

Looks to me this is it for him. It's been 6 years now, longest he's been away from making a film. He has his oldest son acting now, so I guess it's best he just rides onto the sunset.

View attachment 1032961

4d31329997160b8254b0193e47a1f4d4

It sounds like Daniel Day-Lewis is serious about his retirement from acting and won’t be returning, at least according to his longtime director Jim Sheridan. The Irish filmmaker directed three of Day-Lewis’ most prominent films: “My Left Foot” (1989), “In the Name of the Father” (1993) and “The Boxer” (1997). Day-Lewis won the Oscar for best actor with “My Left Foot” and was also nominated for “In the Name of the Father.”

“He says he’s done. I keep talking to him,” Sheridan told ScreenDaily on the topic of Day-Lewis staying retired. “I’d love to do something with him again. He’s like everybody else. He opens up the streamers and there’s seven thousand choices, none of them are good. Film has been moved out of the public domain into a private domain – you have a remote, you can stop it. It’s not the same experience. It’d be great to see Daniel coming back and doing something because he’s so good.”
More from Variety

Day-Lewis announced his retirement from acting in June 2017, several months before the release of Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Phantom Thread.” That film, which garnered Day-Lewis yet another Oscar nomination for best actor, turned out to be his final movie.

“Daniel Day-Lewis will no longer be working as an actor,” the actor’s spokesperson said in a statement at the time. “He is immensely grateful to all of his collaborators and audiences over the many years. This is a private decision and neither he nor his representatives will make any further comment on this subject. ”

Later reflecting on his decision in an interview with W magazine, Day-Lewis said that “before making [‘Phantom Thread’], I didn’t know I was going to stop acting.”
Part of the reason Day-Lewis announced his retirement in a public statement was so he’d have a harder time getting out of it. He wanted to “draw a line” in the sand and make concrete plans to phase out of Hollywood.

“I knew it was uncharacteristic to put out a statement,” Day-Lewis said. “But I did want to draw a line. I didn’t want to get sucked back into another project. All my life, I’ve mouthed off about how I should stop acting, and I don’t know why it was different this time, but the impulse to quit took root in me, and that became a compulsion. It was something I had to do.”
Day-Lewis recently attended the National Board of Review awards and reunited with his “Gangs of New York” director Martin Scorsese, who stoked rumors about the actor possibly un-retiring by teasing a future collaboration between them.

“Thank you, Daniel. To receive this honor presented by Daniel is just an honor in itself,” Scorsese said while accepting the best director prize. “We did two films together and it’s one of the greatest experiences of my life, I must say. Maybe there’s time for one more. Maybe! He’s the best.”

Day-Lewis would follow his Oscar win for Sheridan’s “My Left Foot” with two more wins in the category thanks to “There Will Be Blood” and “Lincoln”

I don't know what it is, but the ending of 'The Age of the Innocence' suits this story about him rather well I believe.

Daniel Day Lewis is so at acting that he could be method acting as Air Bud and we wouldn't be able to tell

That white boy did a good job playing a native..

He served his time in Hollywood.

Let him go free to do as he pleases,

Ha-Whu Ta-Ta Lewis, Go-Mee-Hem.

people who love good movies will be like the talibans of the future, hiding in caves and watching 12 angry men deep underground on broken laptop screens powered by gas generators.

outside, they hear the rumbling of the Marvel popcorn-machine drones yelling at them to surrender and force-watch season 12 of SHE-HULK: Gender Oppression series.

Basically idiocracy

b0d6a589-1ff5-4067-9247-24a3c60caa9a_text.gif

I think he might find movies unbearable now. Like he doesn't care about the material they have or it's big turn off. But I think TV is doing pretty good in the substance department. The only problem the format of acting on TV is different than on film. So that's probably why it's a no go for him as well.

I believe if the “right” project comes along he just might be up for it.

I hope so, he's too good of an actor to just not act anymore imo. I know he has nothing to prove, but his talent is just so incredible that he can make a painting now through acting and people will love it.

That white boy did a good job playing a native..

He served his time in Hollywood.

Let him go free to do as he pleases,

Ha-Whu Ta-Ta Lewis, Go-Mee-Hem.
bruh he is white in that movie

hence all the talk of the bloodline dying with his older son

I'm pretty sure he was adopted story wise at worst half native. and I am sure you have seen some half native people who are very caucasian looking

bruh he is white in that movie

hence all the talk of the bloodline dying with his older son

I'm pretty sure he was adopted story wise at worst half native. and I am sure you have seen some half native people who are very caucasian looking
I guess that’s why I said,

He did a good job “playing” a native.

Back