Brian Campbell from Morning Kombat scored Round 3 for Ortega in Volkanovski fight

He had Volk nearly finished twice. Rounds aren't scored by who is winning at the end of the round - just what happens IN the round. I can see someone giving it to Volk because Brian was also almost finished.
There's literally NO REASONABLE ARGUMENT for Ortega winning that round.

Ortega had Volk in the guillotine for 26 seconds, and the triangle for 23 seconds.
Every other second of that fight was either Volk getting the better of him on the feet or landing vicious GnP.

Volk won 4 minutes
Ortega won 1 minute

Volk landed more damage
Volk landed more significant strikes

And just in case people forgot, Ortega couldn't even get up after the round was over.

How can one possibly give Ortega the round?

I gave it to Volk, but I can see the arguement of giving it to Ortega

The guillotine was obviously very dangerous. But it only lasted a short time, and no actual punishment was delivered. The triangle even less dangerous.

Alex controlled the round up until that point. Which lasted maybe 90 seconds where he was fighting off the subs. But, then escaped and threw huge GNP. Effective striking trumps all. Just the last 30 seconds Alex delivered more damage than he received in the whole fight. Without that last 30 seconds you could conceivably give Ortega the round. But, that 30 seconds was literally the most damaging of the entire fight, imo.

Clear 10-9 Alex.

He had Volk nearly finished twice. Rounds aren't scored by who is winning at the end of the round - just what happens IN the round. I can see someone giving it to Volk because Brian was also almost finished.

I mean, Ortega's corner had to lift him up and carry him to the stool lol. He came much closer to getting finished than volk did.

If Brian wasn't getting his face pounded in at the end he might have had an argument as nice as those sub attempts looked. But that was a clear Volk round. Way too much damage done to go the other way

And frankly, it cam be debated whether a submission attempt (no matter how crazy it was) should count any moresignificsntly than should a takedown attempts which doesn't even secure the takedown (let alone lead to any landed strikes or damage).

Your corner is allowed to help you to the stool in "answering the bell" under the unified rules thats not "corner interference" which is defined as disrupting the ref and the fight or giving the fighter an unfair advantage (its not an unfair advantage as the other corner can do it too)
https://www.dli.mn.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/official_unified_rules_MMA.pdf
. So no its legal, you can disagree but its not grounds alone to call a TKO . If Ortega didnt get up at the end of the minute it would be .
Im glad the fight went on and it was a great fight
I'm glad it went on but it should have been stopped. Am I misunderstanding the answering of the bell rule?

This (almost) exact thing happened to merab at the end of the fight. He got finished at 5:00 at the end of round 3 after not tapping or going out/refa call. He sits up yells at a corner and lays back down. The ref calls the fight... I can only reference that one. Of this legal boy, it's about to be exploited beyond belief

Last edited:
He was lying on the floor because he was exhausted and jumped right back up as soon as he caught his breath.

He was the one who was closed to finishing his opponent twice in that round and in the fight with those two submissions - hell he was the one going forward most of the final round.
Lmao

Stoppage via damage or sub are different. Damage is the criteria, as it should be. Attempt to finish and closeness as well. But, damage. If the round ends with a near GnP stoppage it beats near finishes by sub. Fights aren't scored as a whole, but rounds are. Like separate fights, so ending matters. They can ask BJM and he'll explain it.

Volkanovski landed more damage which is better than a failed submission attempt(s)

Although I agree with you fully, there is a lack of objective judging in regards to submission attempts. In general they seem rather ignored by the point parents.

I'm glad it went on but it should have been stopped. Am I misunderstanding the answering of the bell rule?

This (almost) exact thing happened to merab at the end of the fight. He got finished at 5:00 at the end of round 3 after not tapping or going out/refa call. He sits up yells at a corner and lays back down. The ref calls the fight... I can only reference that one. Of this legal boy, it's about to be exploited beyond belief
I believe you are yes but there's an extent where it's open to the discretion of the ref to be fair . And yes that was a horrible call and an example of the ref misunderstanding the rules imo .

Damage is the biggest factor though, and Volk did all the damage. The subs were close, but outside of that, the whole round was Volk.

Bad take, and the wrong hill to try and be a contrarion on.

Volk won the first half of the round handily, but was nearly choked out twice with Ortega in dominant positions for nearly a minute and a half. Just based on that, it's Ortega's round. But it didn't end there.

Volkanovski beat the shit out of Brian Ortega for the last minute of the round so bad, Ortega was lying bleeding on his back for well after the round ended and needed to be physically lifted by his corner. He then needed almost 3 fucking minutes to recover enough to answer the doctor's questions correctly. It was a slaughter and should have been stopped based upon Ortega's sluggishness and unwillingness to answer the questions to continue properly.

People do realize that these guys, this Brian Campbell for example is no more than a glorified sherdogger?

Its not like its an outrageous opinion lol. Cancel him!

What about getting out of submission attempts and regaining control? Your post makes zero sense.

Strange take, considering they had to scoop Ortega's dead body off the ground and force him onto the stool. Looked like they were picking up a ragdoll.

Im almost certain the time in dominant position was over a minute but yeah ill have to watch again for sure . was quite drunk by the Volk fight <Lmaoo>
:sniper:
It felt like forever, but I doubt it was more than a minute.

Back