Brian Campbell from Morning Kombat scored Round 3 for Ortega in Volkanovski fight

what about two minutes of Volk in a dominated position and almost being subbed ? lol and "beating the shit" is a little bit of an exaggeration . but again i scored it for Volk

No, the first two and half minutes were largely one sided traffic on the feet from Volk. And ortega had 30 seconds of dominance with the guillotine, and another 15 with the triangle. that's less than a minute out of a five minute round. That's it. The rest of the round was really, really bad for him.

what about two minutes of Volk in a dominated position and almost being subbed ? lol and "beating the shit" is a little bit of an exaggeration . but again i scored it for Volk
Still don't follow your logic, Volk was clearly winning the round for the first 2 minutes and was handily winning the stand up exchanges, was in trouble for about 1.5 minutes with the subs then ended the round with a minute of battering Ortega's face in and arguably was robbed of a finish given Ortega needed to be picked up by his corner. Ortega ended up being saved by the bell.

No, the first two and half minutes were pretty one sided traffic on the feet from Volk. And ortega had 30 seconds of dominance with the guillotine, and another 15 with the triangle. that's less than a minute out of a five minute round. That's it. The rest of the round was really, really bad for him.
The combined position advantage(of Ortega) was longer then 45 seconds , if it wasnt for the last 30 or so seconds of Volks ground and pound it wouldve been a clear 10-9 Ortega . ITs way closer then your letting on and is exemplary of a bad trend in modern MMA judging of discounting sub attempts , even ones that are locked in and almost finish the fight

Still don't follow your logic, Volk was clearly winning the round for the first 2 minutes and was handily winning the stand up exchanges, was in trouble for about 1.5 minutes with the subs then ended the round with a minute plus of battering Ortega's face in and arguably was robbed of a finish given Ortega needed to be picked up by his corner. Ortega ended up being saved by the bell.
a minute and a half or so of being in a compromised position and almost getting subbed is HUGE lol. if it wasnt for that last 30 seconds of ground and pound i wouldve given it to Volk thats all im saying . super easy to get my point . And was Ortega saved by the bell? probably but we cant know thats not how you score fights

The combined position advantage(of Ortega) was longer then 45 seconds , if it wasnt for the last 30 or so seconds of Volks ground and pound it wouldve been a clear 10-9 Ortega . ITs way closer then your letting on and is exemplary of a bad trend in modern MMA judging of discounting sub attempts , even ones that are locked in and almost finish the fight

Ortega had 54 seconds of control time in the entire fight. In round three, 30 seconds after ortega first slapped on the guillotine, volk was out and working on a single leg, then pounding ortegas face in for 35 seconds, then he got caught in a triangle for 20 seconds before reversing position and then pounding ortega for the last 29 seconds of the round, leaving ortega unable to stand up to his stool. I'm watching it now

Last edited:
You don't think Volk almost finished the fight? Ortega looked like hamburger meat and but for some suss behavior by his corner, the Doc and Herb giving him time to recover could well have had the fight called in between rounds. Hell another 10 seconds in that round and it would have been waived off.

Last edited:
Bad take lol. Both came close to finishing each other, but Volk did far more damage and affected Brian far more during the next rd than vice versa. In fact, it would've probably been a stoppage for Volk if there had been a few more seconds or the doctors decided differently, while Volk escaped by himself. Clear Volk 10-9 imo.

I scored rd 3 for Volk but it wouldn't be the biggest robbery ever of a rd or anything like that

You don't think Volk almost finished the fight? Ortega looked like hamburger meat and but for some suss behavior by Doc and Herb giving him time to recover could well have had the fight called in between rounds. Hell another 10 seconds in that round and it would have been waived off.
I think he almost finished the fight(kinda like Ortega) but we cant know if Volk wouldve continued the ground and pound for a finish thats just not how you score RD's .
Ortega had 54 seconds of control time in the entire fight. In round three, 30 seconds after ortega first slapped on the guillotine, volk was out and working on a single leg, then pounding ortegas face in for 35 seconds, then he got caught in a triangle for 20 seconds before reversing position and then pounding ortega for the last 29 seconds of the round, leaving ortega unable to stand up to his stool. I'm watching it now
your numbers are off (if i recall correctly) Ortegas control time was longer then less then one minute and again your acting as if those two locked and held sub attempts are less important then they actually are(and he only "pounded Ortegas face" for the last 30 seconds stop exaggerating) .If Volk didnt finish strong it wouldve been a clear 10-9 Ortega , but sense he did id give it to Volk . all im saying is it was a close RD and your undervaluing sub attempts .
Of course i wouldnt expect sherdogers to understand nuance though so carry on .

isn't damage the biggest criteria ? volk definitely did more.

brian's subs failed and there was no damage done from mount. not only that he got reversed from that mounted position and GnP right after lol

I thought Ortega had two 10 second moments and oneast good minute in round 5 in an otherwise one-sided mauling. I mean Volk beat him down nearly as bad as Max did. I think Ortega is getting too much credit tbh.

I think he almost finished the fight(kinda like Ortega) but we cant know if Volk wouldve continued the ground and pound for a finish thats just not how you score RD's .

your numbers are off (if i recall correctly) Ortegas control time was longer then less then one minute and again your acting as if those two locked and held sub attempts are less important then they actually are(and he only "pounded Ortegas face" for the last 30 seconds stop exaggerating) .If Volk didnt finish strong it wouldve been a clear 10-9 Ortega , but sense he did id give it to Volk . all im saying is it was a close RD and your undervaluing sub attempts .
Of course i wouldnt expect sherdogers to understand nuance though so carry on .
Based on the fact that Ortega's corner had to scoop him up, potentially illegally, you can absolutely say Brian was done. He was actually blessed he didn't have to move much, other side of the Octagon and it would have been blatant. Then he seemed to be given an extraordinary amount of time by the Doc to effectively recover. Doesn't really matter at the end of the day as the deserving man won but if Ortega had come back and pulled off a miracle finish after that it would and indeed should have been a major issue.

Based on the fact that Ortega's corner had to scoop him up, potentially illegally, you can absolutely say Brian was done. He was actually blessed he didn't have to move much, other side of the Octagon and it would have been blatant. Then he seemed to be given an extraordinary amount of time by the Doc to effectively recover. Doesn't really matter at the end of the day as the deserving man won but if Ortega had come back and pulled off a miracle finish after that it would and indeed should have been a major issue.
It is actually completely legal to help your fighter to the stool . Does not count as "corner interference" under the unified rules , and i would hardly call the doctor interference an "extradentary amount of time" but i agree it was weird and probably shouldn't have happened . And if Ortega came back and won it would've been amazing not a "major issue" . But he didnt and yes the best fighter won , Volk is a beast and could be the FW GOAT .

It is actually completely legal to help your fighter to the stool . Does not count as "corner interference" under the unified rules , and i would hardly call the doctor interference an "extradornary amount of time" but i agree it was weird and probably shouldnt have happened . And if Ortega came back and won it wouldve been amazing not a "major issue" . But he didnt and yes the best fighter won , Volk is a beast and could be the FW GOAT .
If he couldn't get up on his own volition he was done and either of the Doc or Herb should have recognized that. It was super suss, the time it took to make a decision was ridiculous, Ortega clearly used that time to recover significantly. It would have been an major issue, fortunately it wasn't but again it was pretty clear the UFC didn't want Volk to win and we know Herb's a company man through and through. Dunno who the doc was but everything about that interaction with Ortega made it clear he wasn't stopping the fight and gave him a massive amount of leniency, which again I'm glad he did given how the fight finished as we got two more exciting rounds but it would have been a horrendous look if Ortega won. Anyway onwards and upwards for Volk.

If he couldn't get up on his own volition he was done and either of the Doc or Herb should have recognized that. It was super suss, the time it took to make a decision was ridiculous, Ortega clearly used that time to recover significantly. It would have been an major issue, fortunately it wasn't but again it was pretty clear the UFC didn't want Volk to win and we know Herb's a company man through and through. Dunno who the doc was but everything about that interaction with Ortega made it clear he wasn't stopping the fight and gave him a massive amount of leniency, which again I'm glad he did given how the fight finished as we got two more exciting rounds but it would have been a horrendous look if Ortega won. Anyway onwards and upwards for Volk.
Oh the whole thing was a shit show for sure even if technically theres was no concrete way to define it as a TKO at any point under the unified rules(the fighter has to answer the bell but he can be helped by his corner even borderline carried like a corpse lol) . I dont think it was a conspiracy to give Ortega the W i just think doctors in Vegas are way more lenient in stopping fights . But yes onwards and upwards for Volk and Im excited for his next fight!

The fight should have been over at the end of the 3rd with Volk winning by TKO. I don't believe it's within the rules for cornermen to pick a fighter up which is what Ortega's corner did. It was a great round with the sub attempts but Volk left him for dead at the end of it and Ortega didnt look like he was getting up under his own power.

what do u call laying down, not answering the bell 5 seconds after it sounded, then being picked up by corner and plopped onto your stool? fight should have ended in round 3.

The fight should have been over at the end of the 3rd with Volk winning by TKO. I don't believe it's within the rules for cornermen to pick a fighter up which is what Ortega's corner did. It was a great round with the sub attempts but Volk left him for dead at the end of it and Ortega didnt look like he was getting up under his own power.
correct. he didnt answer the bell, which is part of the rule. he lost at round 3. should have been done.

I don’t see how you can give that round to Ortega after he was left lying on his back in a bloody pulp at the end of it. This is a pretty bad take.
Moraes ended rd1 on his back completely done, and two judges gave him the round.

merab-dvalishvili-marlon-moraes-ufc-266-scorecard.jpg

Na Liang vs Carnelossi was another similar one. Liang won the majority of the round, but Carnelossi beat the shit out of her at the end. The result was two judges gave it to Liang, and the third had it 10-8 Carnelossi.

UFC%20261%20Usman%20vs.%20Masvidal%202%20-%20Scorecards%20-%20Liang%20vs.%20Carnelossi.jpg

Back