• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bodyweight deadlifts

I recently got Swissies and quite happy with them. Anyone else have those? I got 25 partials (middle half/third) with them recently.

I got the basic straight ones for 38$ shipped. They are shockingly lights(largely plastic) yet rated for 800 lb.

https://kensuifitness.com/products/swissies

They look like something I could use at home as I have no place to chin with a parallel grip. If you could answer, do they flex under load? In my setup it could have disastrous consequences if one were to open up mid chin.

I do sets of 50+ with 200lbs extra weight hanging from my schlong, textbook perfect form.

PS - the question about flexing was serious

They look like something I could use at home as I have no place to chin with a parallel grip. If you could answer, do they flex under load? In my setup it could have disastrous consequences if one were to open up mid chin.

I do sets of 50+ with 200lbs extra weight hanging from my schlong, textbook perfect form.

PS - the question about flexing was serious

Don't worry bro you're all good. They are rated for 800lb. So 400lb+200lb =600lb .....so go ahead and max out at 750lb....though not sure about your doorframe....

/s

They do not flex at all. They are super light but rated at 800lb. I also like that I can put them on the arched part of the over the door pull up bar and they move around a bit like gymnastic rings.

I plan to try them out on barbell exercises once my shoulder heals up a bit.

@DoomPatrol
Put up or shut up.

I've met a handful of people who could reach the 30+ non stop.
I'm trying not to outdo our former colleague but I was also at 23 straight. Max attempt over 10 years ago at 115kg bw.
Then I got good for 10 pull ups per set for 10 at 120kg bw.

I tried to re-start pulls about 5 months ago and I can't do more than 8 per set (130kg bw). Should have dealt with some horrid shoulder injury but like a typical bloke, didn't want to visit the doctor. So now I have rings attached to my bar and my shoulder pain is easing!

I hope OP got what he needed from this thread. Doom Patrol hit narcissitic level 10,000 with arguing on the board.

@DoomPatrol
Put up or shut up.

I've met a handful of people who could reach the 30+ non stop.
I'm trying not to outdo our former colleague but I was also at 23 straight. Max attempt over 10 years ago at 115kg bw.
Then I got good for 10 pull ups per set for 10 at 120kg bw.

I tried to re-start pulls about 5 months ago and I can't do more than 8 per set (130kg bw). Should have dealt with some horrid shoulder injury but like a typical bloke, didn't want to visit the doctor. So now I have rings attached to my bar and my shoulder pain is easing!

I hope OP got what he needed from this thread. Doom Patrol hit narcissitic level 10,000 with arguing on the board.
Man, those are some really impressive numbers at that weight. I weigh 112 kg (245 lbs) now and can't do shit. I can probably do 6-8 strict pullups when I'm fresh right now. I'm following Mike Mentzer's program pretty strictly so only doing it once per week, not pullups every day like I used to. Honestly taking the rest seriously is probably the hardest part. When I was able to do 20+ pullups I was 15 years younger and 60 pounds lighter. I'm making good gains and happy to just work the program and trust the experts right now.

Thanks for chiming in.

Man, those are some really impressive numbers at that weight. I weigh 112 kg (245 lbs) now and can't do shit. I can probably do 6-8 strict pullups when I'm fresh right now. I'm following Mike Mentzer's program pretty strictly so only doing it once per week, not pullups every day like I used to. Honestly taking the rest seriously is probably the hardest part. When I was able to do 20+ pullups I was 15 years younger and 60 pounds lighter. I'm making good gains and happy to just work the program and trust the experts right now.

Thanks for chiming in.
I think the weight definitely plays a part but increasing weight, assuming you keep up the conditioning can hold out for quite a big chunk of the weight gain. Having a 2 year period without a single pull ruined me and my mobility had to start again.

I used to follow a program called "20 pull ups". It literally was 3 times a week but wasn't overly taxing.
https://twentypullups.com/20-pull-ups_ilka-helo.pdf
I started following that back in 2008 I think and stuck to it strictly. Give or take a rep, it helped me all the way.

I love Mentzer's approach. For bodybuilding, it suits me perfectly.

I think the weight definitely plays a part but increasing weight, assuming you keep up the conditioning can hold out for quite a big chunk of the weight gain. Having a 2 year period without a single pull ruined me and my mobility had to start again.

I used to follow a program called "20 pull ups". It literally was 3 times a week but wasn't overly taxing.
https://twentypullups.com/20-pull-ups_ilka-helo.pdf
I started following that back in 2008 I think and stuck to it strictly. Give or take a rep, it helped me all the way.

I love Mentzer's approach. For bodybuilding, it suits me perfectly.

I'll check that out! 20 pullups is a pretty good indicator of legit strength.

The only person I knew who could do 30+ pull up reps was a guy in my academy class. He was 160 lb and ripped. He would do 40-50 reps. However most of us would probably not call them full reps.

He would take super wide grip and bobble up and down with limited range of motion. So while he was genuinely very shredded, strong, and with excellent conditioning, I doubt he could do 30 reps from full dead hang to chest to the bar (or even just chin over the bar).

Since this has become a pullup thread, I thought I would share this video. This guy absolutely blew my mind.
Incredible stuff.
Play at double speed and skip ahead a few minutes at a time, because it's LONG. Really unbelievable stuff.

Go astros lol

Say it as I see it, positive thread with good input, no need for that. Keep us posted. I’m about to move house soon hopefully so this is going to be something I’m looking to do too.

I'm having good results so far. I'll post pics at six months or so. Still doing it all bodyweight, about to buy some weights when I finish my next project. I've managed to modify some of the exercises to get pretty good results.

Here are screengrabs of my spreadsheet.
upload_2023-3-13_22-22-34.png

upload_2023-3-13_22-22-53.png

And in text form:

Day 1 Date Weight Reps Notes
Peck deck, 6-10 reps, superset
Incline press, 1-3 reps
close grip pulldown, 1-3 reps
deadlift, 5-8 reps

Day 2, Legs Date Weight Reps Notes
Leg Extensions, 8-15, superset
Leg Press, 8-15
Calf Raise, 12-20

Day 3, Delts & Arms
Lateral Raise, 6-10
Bent Over Raise, 6-10
Barbell Curl, 6-10
Triceps Extension, 6-10, superset
Dips, 3-5

Day 4, Legs
Leg Extension, 1 rep static hold superset
Squats, 8-15
Calf Raise, 12-20

Attachments

• upload_2023-3-13_22-22-2.png
    upload_2023-3-13_22-22-2.png
    16 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2023-3-13_22-22-13.png
    upload_2023-3-13_22-22-13.png
  • upload_2023-3-13_22-22-46.png
    upload_2023-3-13_22-22-46.png
I'm having good results so far. I'll post pics at six months or so. Still doing it all bodyweight, about to buy some weights when I finish my next project. I've managed to modify some of the exercises to get pretty good results.

View attachment 973731

View attachment 973733

And in text form:

Incline press, 1-3 reps
deadlift, 5-8 reps

Leg Press, 8-15
Calf Raise, 12-20

Day 3, Delts & Arms
Lateral Raise, 6-10
Bent Over Raise, 6-10
Barbell Curl, 6-10
Dips, 3-5

Day 4, Legs
Squats, 8-15
Calf Raise, 12-20
Thanks for the update mate, always interested to read and I find it good motivation to get my arse out there.

Last edited:

View attachment 973731

View attachment 973733

And in text form:

Incline press, 1-3 reps
deadlift, 5-8 reps

Leg Press, 8-15
Calf Raise, 12-20

Day 3, Delts & Arms
Lateral Raise, 6-10
Bent Over Raise, 6-10
Barbell Curl, 6-10
Dips, 3-5

Day 4, Legs
Squats, 8-15
Calf Raise, 12-20
If you're gonna be consistent and don't want to dig through a thread convo to find your way, jump in the Logs and keep your journey in it's own happy place.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit

If you're gonna be consistent and don't want to dig through a thread convo to find your way, jump in the Logs and keep your journey in it's own happy place.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit
Hey, thanks for the pointer. I mostly hang out in the grappling forum (although I fucked around and found out talking shit in the War Room, got dubs for saying a well known celebrity is a kid fucker, but I digress), and I didn't even realize there's an actual training log here. Good to know. Thanks.

Hey, thanks for the pointer. I mostly hang out in the grappling forum (although I fucked around and found out talking shit in the War Room, got dubs for saying a well known celebrity is a kid fucker, but I digress), and I didn't even realize there's an actual training log here. Good to know. Thanks.
I didn't know anything existed outside of the UFC forum for a year. Since it turned to crap, started wondering around the other subs and found new fun people here.

I didn't know anything existed outside of the UFC forum for a year. Since it turned to crap, started wondering around the other subs and found new fun people here.
I can't like because of dubs but yeah, it's a good site with quality, funny posts once you meander outside of the heavies. And the UFC forum has always been crap, at least since TUF brought in casuals. Before then, every MMA fan was a hardcore fan, especially if they were here on sherdog.
I should probably look at other forums besides grappling more often, this has actually been a pretty fun thread and they're actively shit talking @DoomPatrol in other threads now as a result of his epic self ownage lol

Man as I get older every xmas eve it gets a little easier to control my excitement and get right to sleep, the continual disappointments the next day leave me expecting less and less each time now.

Edit - sorry, I meant Wednesday nights not xmas eve

@DoomPatrol weekly update. He's all over the politics forum, being smarter than everyone and being the perfect news media consumer/regurgitator. Turns out he's not just a physical badass, he seems to have completely mastered the art of watching the news and repeating what he hears. A true renaissance man.

However: @DoomPatrol its your bodyweight day. Post your pullups you fat pussy!

He seems like the type of guy that would likely have been training pullups non-stop since being called out. He'll come back and triumphantly win the internet to shut up all of the haters.

He seems like the type of guy that would likely have been training pullups non-stop since being called out. He'll come back and triumphantly win the internet to shut up all of the haters.
I'd give even more props to somebody who lied, then achieved that lie through sheer humiliation avoidance. Cos that is method acting at its finest.

I remember on another UK MMA forum years ago. Somebody every now and then would pop up with lies or call outs. The MMA community back then was even smaller so the threads got intense and the bullshitters had less wiggle room. (In respect of fighting, rather than pullups lol).
Those were the days.
Here though, we have a fully anonymous shit talker who argued the hell in the thread then poof... off he goes.

Back