• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bodyweight deadlifts

mattemate

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'm one of those jiu-jitsu nerds from the grappling forum, but I've dedicated myself to getting huge for several reasons.

I'm building a home gym currently, and want to focus on the major compound lifts, squat, bench press, overhead press, rows, and deadlift.

I'm able to simulate most of those lifts with bodyweight exercises. Squats I can do with pistol squats. Bench press with weighted pushups. Overhead press with handstand pushups or Tyson pushups. Rows with pull-ups with my legs up, or while doing a front lever eventually.

The one that I can't think of how to simulate is deadlifts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting weights and buying or building good equipment, and might join a gym, but I'd like to be able to do all the major compound lifts with minimal equipment if at all possible.

Any tips or ideas?

Thanks guys.

Hey guys.
I'm one of those jiu-jitsu nerds from the grappling forum, but I've dedicated myself to getting huge for several reasons.

I'm building a home gym currently, and want to focus on the major compound lifts, squat, bench press, overhead press, rows, and deadlift.

I'm able to simulate most of those lifts with bodyweight exercises. Squats I can do with pistol squats. Bench press with weighted pushups. Overhead press with handstand pushups or Tyson pushups. Rows with pull-ups with my legs up, or while doing a front lever eventually.

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting weights and buying or building good equipment, and might join a gym, but I'd like to be able to do all the major compound lifts with minimal equipment if at all possible.

Any tips or ideas?

Thanks guys.
Do single leg deadlifts

:D welcome to the Just One More Piece club
Hard to simulate weight without it. Can you use the weight for heavy push ups on put it on your lap for glute bridges

I think you'd be better off doing back hyperextensions and reverse hypers. I've done single leg deadlifts and they didn't seem that beneficial to me. It tests your balance more so than your strength and if you have back issues it will aggravate it.

Don’t bother trying to simulate deadlifts, you can’t.
Compliment your pistols with other one leg work. Try with your off leg back instead of front (squat down with one leg until the knee of your off leg touches the ground behind you).

I wouldn’t bother trying to replicate the deadlift. As someone said, I’d do back hypertensions, with the torso hanging from a ledge if possible (you can hold a weight behind your neck), and maybe glute ham raises, or single leg glute bridges. Also, would probably just do regular weighted pull ups/chin ups for my rowing movement.

Hey guys.

Any tips or ideas?

Thanks guys.

As a fellow F12 grappling nerd who also trains strength, I'd advise getting a decent barbell set up. It's extremely difficult if not impossible for most people to replicate the size and strength gains you can make with a barbell with bodyweight analogs. If you have space constraints, just get a barbell and some weight plates. Off the floor you can do DL, rows, C&J, snatch, OHP, etc. and those are all full body lifts that will benefit your grappling game.

Last edited:
I think you'd be better off doing back hyperextensions and reverse hypers. I've done single leg deadlifts and they didn't seem that beneficial to me. It tests your balance more so than your strength and if you have back issues it will aggravate it.
Do many gyms have reverse hypers these days? Those look like they feel soooo good

Do many gyms have reverse hypers these days? Those look like they feel soooo good
I'm sure most / all functional or athletic training style centers will have them . Can't speak on the big commercial set ups, it's a large footprint for a machine ignored by many. Found it more beneficial to do lighter weights with a quick pause at top instead of cheat swinging multiple plates. Will even do it body weight only somedays just for the stretching.

Get your wife to lie down and try to lift her off the ground by the belt. Do it one handed? She is at least 100 lbs and it is like a one handed dumbbell deadlift.

iu

Bodyweight solution to train same muscles as deadlift is back extentions. A very good exercise even if you have no extra weight but you can hold a plate behind your head for extra oomph

I hadn't thought of that. I like those. Feels really good to my back to do those.

Back