Best food in the world

That looks like "Taste of the Wild"
wSuNtWg.jpg
It's pretty bad. That being said, we have pretty solid meat/ fish recipes.

Yeah if you like meat, it's tough not to like German food. I think it's still the largest ancestry group in the U.S. (particularly in the Midwest) and probably where the whole American meat and potatoes thing comes from. German immigrants popularized hot dogs and hamburgers.

But the real deal from a small tavern or mom and pop shop in Germany is the way to go. Every town has a bakery where you can pick up fresh baked Broetchen or Apfelkuchen (still warm from the oven) with coffee on the way to work. Way better than McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts.

Damn I miss working in Germany.

photo4jpg.jpg

brot-broetchen-german-bakery.jpg
Yap, i was joking on the sausage mash. It's disgusting but we do have good meat recipes. Also agreed on the baceries. Have one right across the street even tho i prefer black bread these days.

078766DE-80FD-4A79-96A6-36CCD5FFD2AA.jpeg Maybe I’m
Basic but every day goat food
Is Mexican. Houston has the goat Tex mex pappasitos , el tiempo to name a few.

Fancy most amazing out of this world exotic unique would have to be sushi

Yap, i was joking on the sausage mash. It's disgusting but we do have good meat recipes. Also agreed on the baceries. Have one right across the street even tho i prefer black bread these days.

As far as I'm concerned, the bread and the beer in Germany are the best I've had anywhere. Seems like Germans also really like their ice cream. Instead of Starbucks, I remember seeing a Moevenpick ice cream shop or stand on every corner.

Peruvian is one of my new favorites. Top tier cuisine.

That's all Czech. Some German king liked all the Czech desserts made with nuts, butter, flour and sugar and said, "The is now German style desserts".

Well it's a good thing he did, because all of that stuff is delicious.

And not to offend anyone because I know folks can be touchy about national identity, but didn't the Czech Republic and Germany share the same cultural identity under the Holy Roman empire under the Habsburgs and then as parts of Austria-Hungary?

Tough to pick just one best food, but this is up there:

schweinshaxe-mit-kartoffelknoedel-449856.jpg

Schweinshaxe traditional in southern Germany. Roast ham hock (with crispy skin) served with Kloesse (sticky potato dumpling) and sauerkraut. Goes great with a pint of Hefeweizen. It's hard to find the real deal in the U.S. Closest thing here is southern ham hocks and greens but the German version is even better. Getting hungry just thinking about it.
There's a German bar by me that does a decent ham hock with spaetzle and purple cabbage... probably doesn't hold a candle to the actual German stuff, but it's tasty as hell for a little hole in the wall bar in Minnesota...

That dumpling looks delicious

Well it's a good thing he did, because all of that stuff is delicious.

And not to offend anyone because I know folks can be touchy about national identity, but didn't the Czech Republic and Germany share the same cultural identity under the Holy Roman empire under the Habsburgs and then as parts of Austria-Hungary?

I would have said Slavic with Austro-Hungarian mingling from imperial rule, but i'm no genealogist. I'm sure the answer is on the interwebz.

I'm not a fan of the flatbread pancake thing, at least from the one place I've tried

You mean the stuff that seems under-cooked and tastes like puke? Ya, that ruins everything, at every place I've tried it.

I am surprised with all the Indian food picks.

I would have said Slavic with Austro-Hungarian mingling from imperial rule, but i'm no genealogist. I'm sure the answer is on the interwebz.

OK I thought you were claiming those style desserts as Czech by identity. I associate that stuff with Germany because that's the EU country I've spent the most time in but I'm sure it probably originated elsewhere in terms of modern country borders.

Last edited:
I'm biased but I think Caribbean food is the best. Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic. Amazing food.

There's a German bar by me that does a decent ham hock with spaetzle and purple cabbage... probably doesn't hold a candle to the actual German stuff, but it's tasty as hell for a little hole in the wall bar in Minnesota...

That dumpling looks delicious

Well if there's any place in the U.S. you can get it, it's probably near MN and the Dakotas where I think a lot of German immigrants settled.

But yeah the real deal Kloesse potato dumplings I've only found in Germany. Some restaurants serve it here but it's always either just mashed potato balls or something crumbly like Matzo balls. I understand the real German version incorporates mashed potatoes but they prepare it so the whole thing is glutinous throughout. It soaks up the meat gravy from whatever you're eating it with and is just delicious.

Indian/Pakistani buffet with tandoori chicken thigh as the centerpiece really hits the spot.

o.jpg

o.jpg

Back