Movies BARBIE (Highest Grossing Movie of 2023; Dragonlord's Review, post #1)

If you have seen BARBIE, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Update: September 3, 2023

BARBIE Surpasses Super Mario Bros. to Become the Highest Grossing Movie of 2023 at the Worldwide Box Office

ba7T4Wc.jpg

Barbie has conquered North America, and now, the world. Greta Gerwig’s fantasy-comedy has generated $1.36 billion at the global box office, overtaking Universal and Illumination’s animated adventure The Super Mario Bros. Movie ($1.35 billion globally) as the highest-grossing worldwide movie of the year.

Barbie has accumulated $600 million in North America and, earlier in August, passed Mario ($574 million) to become the biggest release of 2023 at the domestic box office as well. At the international box office, the film has grossed a staggering $760 million to date.

The very pink blockbuster has been casually crushing expectations since opening in theaters in July with $162 million, the best debut of the year. Barbie remained the No. 1 movie for four consecutive weekends and eventually became the highest-grossing movie directed solely by a woman. It’s currently the 14th-biggest domestic release and 15th-biggest global release in history.

With its latest milestone, Barbie has become Warner Bros.’ highest-grossing worldwide release of all time, eclipsing 2011’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 ($1.34 billion, not adjusted for inflation). It already surpassed Christopher Nolan’s superhero epic The Dark Knight ($536 million) as the studio’s biggest domestic title in 100 years.

Gerwig, the Oscar-nominated director of Lady Bird and Little Women, co-wrote the screenplay with her partner Noah Baumbach. Barbie, starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, follows the popular doll and her boy toy as they leave behind the seemingly perfect world of Barbieland to discover the highs and lows of life in the real world. The cast also includes America Ferrera, Issa Rae, Will Ferrell, Kate McKinnon, Simu Liu and Michael Cera.

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-office/barbie-highest-grossing-worldwide-movie-year-1235705510/

BARBIE Surpasses Super Mario Bros. to Become the Highest Grossing Movie of 2023 at the Worldwide Box Office

ba7T4Wc.jpg

Barbie has conquered North America, and now, the world. Greta Gerwig’s fantasy-comedy has generated $1.36 billion at the global box office, overtaking Universal and Illumination’s animated adventure The Super Mario Bros. Movie ($1.35 billion globally) as the highest-grossing worldwide movie of the year.

Barbie has accumulated $600 million in North America and, earlier in August, passed Mario ($574 million) to become the biggest release of 2023 at the domestic box office as well. At the international box office, the film has grossed a staggering $760 million to date.

The very pink blockbuster has been casually crushing expectations since opening in theaters in July with $162 million, the best debut of the year. Barbie remained the No. 1 movie for four consecutive weekends and eventually became the highest-grossing movie directed solely by a woman. It’s currently the 14th-biggest domestic release and 15th-biggest global release in history.

With its latest milestone, Barbie has become Warner Bros.’ highest-grossing worldwide release of all time, eclipsing 2011’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 ($1.34 billion, not adjusted for inflation). It already surpassed Christopher Nolan’s superhero epic The Dark Knight ($536 million) as the studio’s biggest domestic title in 100 years.

Gerwig, the Oscar-nominated director of Lady Bird and Little Women, co-wrote the screenplay with her partner Noah Baumbach. Barbie, starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, follows the popular doll and her boy toy as they leave behind the seemingly perfect world of Barbieland to discover the highs and lows of life in the real world. The cast also includes America Ferrera, Issa Rae, Will Ferrell, Kate McKinnon, Simu Liu and Michael Cera.

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-office/barbie-highest-grossing-worldwide-movie-year-1235705510/

If you told me when both of Barbie and Mario were announced when they were that they would be battling at the Box Office with Billion Dollar + box offices , I'd call you crazy.

ba7T4Wc.jpg

giphy.webp

This movie is on streaming now so curiosity got the best of me after all the hub bub and brouhaha
Just got done watching it and I gotta admit that was one entertaining fun ride, some great characters, hilarious dialogue and a good message for the youth
Some funny ass references to lesser known, discontinued and questionable dolls that were released in the Barbie line over the years too
Surprisingly well made flick, definitely worth a watch

I need to go cop me one of those I AM KENOUGH hoodies

And that smoking hot mocha choco-latte Barbie, mmm hmmm

I have an urgent question. Spoilers ensue.

When Stereotypical Barbie became human and moved to the "real" world, did another Stereotypical Barbie materialize in Barbie World? I'm sure that plain Barbie dolls were still available for purchase, and since all the Barbie dolls and sets that were our had been sold were idealistically represented in Barbie World then there must by definition always be a representative ideologue of the generic doll. Ergo, one doll leaves, another must take its place. Barbie World abhors a vacuum. Thus it stands to reason that, immediately off camera, as soon as Margot Robbie left Barbie World another Margot Robbie must have entered.

I snell a sequel hook.

Gays really got behind this film.PUN INTENDED.

I have an urgent question. Spoilers ensue.

When Stereotypical Barbie became human and moved to the "real" world, did another Stereotypical Barbie materialize in Barbie World? I'm sure that plain Barbie dolls were still available for purchase, and since all the Barbie dolls and sets that were our had been sold were idealistically represented in Barbie World then there must by definition always be a representative ideologue of the generic doll. Ergo, one doll leaves, another must take its place. Barbie World abhors a vacuum. Thus it stands to reason that, immediately off camera, as soon as Margot Robbie left Barbie World another Margot Robbie must have entered.

I snell a sequel hook.

New Barbie arrived but it was Amy Schumer

I think she explains why it WASN'T woke.

Not seen it but that does pretty much line up with what I'd expect, its a film which can't really be very progressive because ultimately its a big budget blockbuster made to promote a toy made by a massive company.

Gosling did always seem likely to be the best thing in it, when he has done comedy previously like The Nice Guys its been exellent.

Last edited:
I gave it a solid 7.5. It was actually pretty funny. Some dry/sarcastic type humor too, which I really like. I could have done without the entire 20 lecture towards the end about how women can do everything that men can do and men should be willing to just be themselves and stuff like that. It was a bit to preachy for me at that point. But I understand why they did it I guess. Overall it was pretty funny (but predictable) . Ryan was hilarious as were a lot of the "Kens". And of course Alan was great.....lol.

Plus when they threatened to beach each other off.

I was highly entertained watching this. I thought it was just going to be another fish out of water movie featuring the Barbie universe but it was much more than that.

Little kids would miss the majority of themes this one throws out. Tackles some very dark adult situations. Gosling blew it out of the park and stole the show. Gave it 9 purely on entertainment value.

Back