Movies Ryan Gosling calls out Greta Gerwig, Margot Robbie Oscar snubs

Should they expand those categories to have more nominees?

• Total voters
I find it ironic that a movie that's supposedly about the patriarchy only has the straight white male nominated for a reward.

If they didn't want him to win Robbie could have wrote the character to be less likeable and not given him the catchy song. If you write an interesting character and they are played by a talented actor they run the risk of winning awards.

The movie was pretty bad imo, it getting best picture is pretty wild. Was just way too obvious with the message it was pushing which made the storyline uninteresting and the characters lame. It almost felt like 2 hour long comedy sketch parodying a “Feminist Barbie” movie. But from what I’ve seen Greta was actually trying to make a powerful pro woman movie, and judging it as that, it is laughably bad.

I definitely don’t mind if a movie wants to make a point, but it also has to be a good movie on top of that, you can’t just put everyone in silly costumes and have them read off argument points.

No one cares for Oscars anymore as they changed to just placate themselves and often horrible movies if it fits their agenda. More important nowadays you are politically aligned than making quality movies.

The time were an Oscar really meant outstanding movie is long gone.

The oscars have never meant anything, and they still don't.
I really don't understand people's fascination with these things.
At Hollywood's best days from 50s to 70s when the culturally influenced the world it really meant something and they choose by quality. But nowadays I completely agree with you. It died in the 90s and now is only about "the message".

The quality itself has been killed of in mainstream us media by corporate takeover .

obviously he’s just propping up his Barbie homies, but everyone knows the biggest bullshit snubs this year are Greta Lee (Actress in a Leading Role) & Teo Yoo (Actor in a Leading Role) for Past Lives. it is legitimately criminal that they did not get nominated. less criminal, but still an insulting acting snub is John Magaro for his supporting role in Past Lives. Sterling K. Brown & De Niro are bullshit by comparison for supporting.

That movie was so corny I stopped watching after like 45 minutes.
Damn, you missed all the Gosling looking hot as fuck o:

Okay fucking hell, it won’t let me upload any pics. Guess you’re missing out once again x

At Hollywood's best days from 50s to 70s when the culturally influenced the world it really meant something and they choose by quality. But nowadays I completely agree with you. It died in the 90s and now is only about "the message".

The quality itself has been killed of in mainstream us media by corporate takeover .
And that affects me and you how sir?

obviously he’s just propping up his Barbie homies, but everyone knows the biggest bullshit snubs this year are Greta Lee (Actress in a Leading Role) & Teo Yoo (Actor in a Leading Role) for Past Lives. it is legitimately criminal that they did not get nominated. less criminal, but still an insulting acting snub is John Magaro for his supporting role in Past Lives. Sterling K. Brown & De Niro are bullshit by comparison for supporting.
My guess would be that acting noms may well increase in number in the coming years, they do I think tend to be a bit more cliquey than Best Picture/Director generally IMHO.

It was a really good fun popcorn flick but it's no Deer Hunter now is it?
Have you watched The Deer Hunter lately? Without smoking a ton of weed first?
It’s certainly an interesting movie, no doubt. But it’s like a long experiment of a movie more than it’s a movie.

Think of your least favorite Tool song with the masturbatory 5 intro, that’s over 8 minutes long that you sit through, to get to the rest of the song, which you don’t even really like, except for the one part you love 7 minutes and 45 seconds in, that only lasts 20 seconds.

That’s what The Deer Hunter is like.

Have you watched The Deer Hunter lately? Without smoking a ton of weed first?
It’s certainly an interesting movie, no doubt. But it’s like a long experiment of a movie more than it’s a movie.

Think of your least favorite Tool song with the masturbatory 5 intro, that’s over 8 minutes long that you sit through, to get to the rest of the song, which you don’t even really like, except for the one part you love 7 minutes and 45 seconds in, that only lasts 20 seconds.

That’s what The Deer Hunter is like.
Depends on your taste for atmospheric cinema building up a location/characters I spose.

My guess would be that acting noms may well increase in number in the coming years, they do I think tend to be a bit more cliquey than Best Picture/Director generally IMHO.
more or less noms in each acting category, they'll still manage to fuck it up somehow. i'm legit flustered that Past Lives got noms for Best Picture & Original Screenplay (rightfully so), yet they bungled the easiest layups possible w/ the [nonexistent] acting noms for Past Lives.
<WhitmanDefeat>

more or less noms in each acting category, they'll still manage to fuck it up somehow. i'm legit flustered that Past Lives got noms for Best Picture & Original Screenplay (rightfully so), yet they bungled the easiest layups possible w/ the [nonexistent] acting noms for Past Lives.
<WhitmanDefeat>
Again I think acting noms do tend to be a bit more cliquey but honestly I think these days its hard to know what exactly the Oscars are aiming for.

In the past it was very much "Prestige Hollywood" kind of stuff(mostly not my cup of tea) but more recently its been some blockbusters, some arthouse and some "representation" which is why I think more stuff probably gets looked at as a snub in recent years and probably why the acting noms will grow in number.

And that affects me and you how sir?
Back then I looked forward watching an Oscar winner / nominee . It helped select good movies. Nowadays not anymore I go by other festivals or just research. That's how it affected me earlier.

F.e in 2006 “

" Efter brylluppet " by Susanne Bier. Nominated and to this day a very impressive movie in my recollection.

Back then I looked forward watching an Oscar winner / nominee . It helped select good movies. Nowadays not anymore I go by other festivals or just research. That's how it affected me earlier.

F.e in 2006 “

" Efter brylluppet " by Susanne Bier. Nominated and to this day a very impressive movie in my recollection.

My point is with or without the awards a good movie is a good movie.
The award shows are inconsequential to the quality of the film.

Canadian actor Ryan Gosling called out the Oscar snub of his “Barbie” co-star Margot Robbie and director Greta Gerwig in response to his own nomination.

Gosling, playing Ken to Robbie’s Barbie, was nominated for best supporting actor on Tuesday.

“To say that I’m disappointed that they are not nominated in their respective categories would be an understatement,” Gosling, who grew up in Ontario, said in a statement.

Gerwig was considered an obvious choice for a best director nomination while Robbie was anticipated to get a nod for best lead actress.

Gosling acknowledged on Tuesday, “There is no Ken without Barbie, and there is no Barbie without Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie, the two people most responsible for this history-making, globally celebrated film.”

“They made us laugh, they broke our hearts, they pushed the culture and they made history. Their work should be recognized along with the other very deserving nominees,” Gosling said.

Must have been a real shitty year for movies if he was nominated for an oscar.

And he should know just because he was granted a nomination, that he won't win, doesn't mean his co-star & director deserve to be granted a nomination, that they won't win.

And if any of them do win, holy fuck how Hollywood has gone downhill.

Must have been a real shitty year for movies if he was nominated for an oscar.

And he should know just because he was granted a nomination, that he won't win, doesn't mean his co-star & director deserve to be granted a nomination, that they won't win.

And if any of them do win, holy fuck how Hollywood has gone downhill.
<JerryWWF> <WhatIsThis>

Gosling was legit great in Barbie. it would’ve been a pretty drastic snub if he wasn’t nominated

we should also be celebrating his nomination because it’s not too often that a 99% comedic role gets recognition at the academy awards

People still watch the oscars?

<36>

I saw that. 8 actually. Just not the important ones in sync with the overt messaging of the movie itself.

Slow year in film, eh?

It got best screenplay too for Greta Gerwig.

I find it ironic that a movie that's supposedly about the patriarchy only has the straight white male nominated for a reward.
America Ferrera got nominated for best supporting actress and Greta Gerwig for best screenplay.

Back