Movies Ryan Gosling calls out Greta Gerwig, Margot Robbie Oscar snubs

Should they expand those categories to have more nominees?

• Total voters
Have you watched The Deer Hunter lately? Without smoking a ton of weed first?
It’s certainly an interesting movie, no doubt. But it’s like a long experiment of a movie more than it’s a movie.

Think of your least favorite Tool song with the masturbatory 5 intro, that’s over 8 minutes long that you sit through, to get to the rest of the song, which you don’t even really like, except for the one part you love 7 minutes and 45 seconds in, that only lasts 20 seconds.

That’s what The Deer Hunter is like.
Lmao had to give a like for the accurate description of what it's like listening to Tool.

America Ferrera got nominated for best supporting actress and Greta Gerwig for best screenplay.
yeesh, supporting actress is a weak category this year (opposed to lead, which is super strong this year & could’ve been even stronger if Greta Lee didn’t get screwed over)

i thought Rosamind Pike in Saltburn gave a way better performance than a lot of those noms. or how about Julienne Moore in May December for christ's sakes?!?! Rachel McAdams in Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret is another. but imo, the hands down two best actress performances in a supporting role last year were Laurie Babin in Red Rooms, but i doubt anyone in the academy even knows that movie exists, and Sakuro Ando in Monster. boom. there’s a way better five than the five that got nominated.

yeesh, supporting actress is a weak category this year (opposed to lead, which is super strong this year & could’ve been even stronger if Greta Lee didn’t get screwed over)

i thought Rosamind Pike in Saltburn gave a way better performance than a lot of those noms. or how about Julienne Moore in May December for christ's sakes?!?! Rachel McAdams in Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret is another. but imo, the hands down two best actress performances in a supporting role last year were Laurie Babin in Red Rooms, but i doubt anyone in the academy even knows that movie exists, and Sakuro Ando in Monster. boom. there’s a way better five than the five that got nominated.
Not seen close to everything nominated this year but Emma Stone would be clearly the front runner on merit so far from what I have. You could argue I spose the leads being stronger than the supporting roles for women is a positive sign in some ways, used to be that most of the best roles ended up being supporting were as a role like Stones is very much the kind of thing which would have been male in decades past.

Again though I tend to think the Oscars these days end up pulling in a lot more directions than they did even a few years ago, arthouse and foreign stuff very rarely used to get noms let alone wins in the past which I think arguebly hurt women more than men which acting noms as IMHO you still tend to get stronger roles for them in such films. Johansson's career best performance is probably in Under The Skin, Kirsten Stewarts best roles were IMHO in Assayas films, Adele Exarchopoulos in with a case for the best performance of the 2010's for me with Blue is the Warmest Colour, etc, none of which got noms.

More deserving than Black Panther was at least.

No but there needs to a few new categories. Best Actor,Actress, picture. For both artistic and Main stream box office.

WHo ever said or thought this movie was a cinematic triumph? FFS it wasn't even a great movie. Maybe the sets and design could qualify but it was just a popcorn movie.

Back