Bad Tipping Culture continues with no end in sight

No the bill reflects exactly what you ordered there is no extra charges.

Again I fail to see how this is the consumers problem. If a business is not paying their staff enough, they should not have to rely on charity to make ends meet. That is a flaw in the system, they should just get a higher base wage and if that means prices go up on the menu well so be it.

But that’s not realistic. And you should know that. In the real world, servers live off tips, whether or not that’s the way “it should be”.

I always tip 20% but I just wish this whole tipping thing would go away. Yes I understand menu prices would go up and I would prefer that over tipping. Sometimes I go over 20% if the waiter is extra special. For instance on my wifes birthday this dude was really impressing my wife with some cotton candy drink and some other shit and I wasn't sure if she wanted to go home with him or me after dinner. I gave that dude 30%.

They need to just start implementing service fees.

A tip, by its very definition, is optional. I think it's logical to expect that many people will opt to pay the minimum possible.

Well....I don't judge others......But I am a proud over tipper. Especially at places I dine at or order from frequently. And Especially during COVID.

My only advice to shitty and no tippers.....don't order from the same place twice. Make no mistake, you are remembered......perhaps as much as us over tippers.

There is an Indian restaurant as well as a Caribbean restaurant that I dine at and order from regularly. They appreciate me so much that I am almost always given special bonus items that are not on the menu. When I walk or call in, it makes their fucking day. At least once a month one of them will show up unannounced at my door with free food they made for me just because they were delivering nearby and wanted to say 'Hi'. That is the kind of relationship I want with my cuisine providers.

You just pay more for the food anyway and then half of it goes to the restaurant. They make more and food stays cheaper if people just tip.
Agreed. Not only that it incentivises lower skill workers to actually work faster and harder (if you paid a pizza guy $15 an hour he would maybe deliever 2 pizzas an hour and take his sweet ass time, no monetary incentive for him to work faster or harder).

The service in the US is hands down better than here and the price of food is a hell of a lot cheaper, I was happy to tip when I was over there
Yeah why would the customers complain about being in power ? The food is cheaper to offset the potential tip and the tip is 100% based on the server fufulling his job (you get better service since it's actually incentive based)

(you get better service since it's actually incentive based)

I don't believe this is true. So does that mean in non tip countries that the service is horrible?

I don't believe this is true. So does that mean in non tip countries that the service is horrible?
Most people i've talked to from overseas (including a few even just in this thread) agree that the service is signficantly better in the US

Obviously when you incentivices something the result is almost always better, that's true even for non customer service based jobs

Sounds like folks do not understand how to make gig work pay. It will if your wise and learn the ins and outs...

I did it for a bit... rolled over ta Pharmacy work and now do Med related deliveries.

Gig 1099ers can do quite well for themselves with a lil umph...
What's the secret? Accepting several deliveries from different outfits in the same neighborhood?

Agreed. Not only that it incentivises lower skill workers to actually work faster and harder (if you paid a pizza guy $15 an hour he would maybe deliever 2 pizzas an hour and take his sweet ass time, no monetary incentive for him to work faster or harder).

Yeah why would the customers complain about being in power ? The food is cheaper to offset the potential tip and the tip is 100% based on the server fufulling his job (you get better service since it's actually incentive based)

I've been to over 50 countries and this is just not true. The service in America wasn't any better than in other countries.

Defending a broken, exploitative system is just weird.

The whole tipping 20% thing is kind of nonsense because you end up tipping more at fancier places, even though the waiters are probably working harder at the shittier ones.

The other day I was at a hole in the wall and the bill came to $50 total for my family. The waitress worked hard considering all the messes my kids were making. So I tipped her $25, which is close to what I'd tip anyways on a $100 meal. She chased me out of the restaurant asking if it was a mistake.

Also, what's the going rate for tipping for a haircut? I used to tip like $2-$3 then it hit me that it was probably really low. Gave the guy $8 yesterday on a $22 haircut. What's standard?

As an Australian, this is ridiculous. We tip but very rarely it depends on the situation.
When I went to America for a holiday and was expected to tip 15/18/20% automatically I was like wtf. I didn't do it. I just rounded up to the nearest 10 bucks.

It's the most retarded culture ever.
Pay them their wage simple as that.
Tipping as a percentage is also retarded. It doesn't take more effort to bring an expensive dish vs an inexpensive one

What's the secret? Accepting several deliveries from different outfits in the same neighborhood?

Not sure it's much of a secret. But ditch out orders where you don't get $2-$3 a mile. Run multiple Apps.. Ditch Orders where ya have to wait. LLC yerself...

There is quite solid bit of info on hackin up Gig work to pay.

Fortunately I'm semi-retired at 54 (work 20ish hrs a week) and have had quite a bit of luck landing easy gigs. Med Courier work can pay very vey well.

I always tip but with all that added delivery fees, and inflation, it's only gonna get worse.

also brings out the assholes too.

"dont make enough money? just get a job that pays more duh"

That's the best solution though right? What better options are there for the person that doesn't like their pay?

The whole tipping 20% thing is kind of nonsense because you end up tipping more at fancier places, even though the waiters are probably working harder at the shittier ones.

The other day I was at a hole in the wall and the bill came to $50 total for my family. The waitress worked hard considering all the messes my kids were making. So I tipped her $25, which is close to what I'd tip anyways on a $100 meal. She chased me out of the restaurant asking if it was a mistake.

Also, what's the going rate for tipping for a haircut? I used to tip like $2-$3 then it hit me that it was probably really low. Gave the guy $8 yesterday on a $22 haircut. What's standard?
That seems high

The bill is the bill in Ireland.
If you got outstanding service, then perhaps tip, but it would want to be outstanding for me to tip personally.

That's the best solution though right? What better options are there for the person that doesn't like their pay?
the point is that getting a higher paying job is easier said than done. otherwise, we'd all be billionaires.

I always tip 20%, I worked at a bar and I've seen countless shitty customers who don't tip

Korea has the best restaurant setup for normal everyman joints. Ring a bell, yell for your server or go get the damn thing yourself. No tips needed and no asshole trying to small talk you into a larger tip. The food always comes out piping hot, too. Free refills on side dishes.

Death to tipping culture. It still sounds crazy to me back when I worked in restaurant kitchens, the servers were making $3 or $4 an hour plus tips. On a slow night, they probably owed the government money. Richest country in the world...
I used to get my haircut from a Korean lady in Seattle for $7! I tried tipping the first time and she straight up refused the tip. Was pleasantly surprised.

Back