Bad Tipping Culture continues with no end in sight

Not sure it's much of a secret. But ditch out orders where you don't get $2-$3 a mile. Run multiple Apps.. Ditch Orders where ya have to wait. LLC yerself...

There is quite solid bit of info on hackin up Gig work to pay.

Fortunately I'm semi-retired at 54 (work 20ish hrs a week) and have had quite a bit of luck landing easy gigs. Med Courier work can pay very vey well.
You mean transporting patients in wheelchairs and stuff?

I base tips on service provided. If its really great, top notch...20%. Really good, 18%. Good...15%. Satisfactory...10-12%. Poor...5%. Absolute Crap, like literally rude as hell, disrespectful...0...complaints will be coming in a big way.

I base tips on service provided. If its really great, top notch...20%. Really good, 18%. Good...15%. Satisfactory...10-12%. Poor...5%. Absolute Crap, like literally rude as hell, disrespectful...0...complaints will be coming in a big way.
You tip five percent for poor service? Damn no wonder these people have developed such a huge sense of entitlement.

The problem with tipping based on level of service is that the server will never understand that it's their fault they got tipped poorly. They will simply assume that the customer was a cheapskate, and they will do nothing to improve their level of service in the future.

the point is that getting a higher paying job is easier said than done. otherwise, we'd all be billionaires.

It's difficult to be a billionaire, but super easy to make something better out of yourself than Uber driver.

I'm not sure why people are claiming that menu prices are cheaper because of gratuity. I don't believe that's the case at all.

You tip five percent for poor service? Damn no wonder these people have developed such a huge sense of entitlement.

The problem with tipping based on level of service is that the server will never understand that it's their fault they got tipped poorly. They will simply assume that the customer was a cheapskate, and they will do nothing to improve their level of service in the future.

Well i should have clarified. If it was poor but they made an effort to apologize or comp something, sure ill give em a bit. Sometimes its not servers fault, backend could be chaos, fucking shit up.

stop acting like tips are entitled to you. you gotta earn tips, not expect them dumbasses. if you complainin about your tips, then you suck, go find a new job.

Shit Service Culture continues with no end in sight
<TheWire1>

I always tip, but there seems to be an entitled attitude nowadays. They just expect a large tip without even doing a good job, let alone going above and beyond.
I can see why some people don’t tip at all.
<Fedor23>

How dare servers feel entitled to survival after performing degrading work.

It's a flawed system, but refusing to tip isn't making some kind of statement. It's just being a cheap asshole.

I'm not sure why people are claiming that menu prices are cheaper because of gratuity. I don't believe that's the case at all.
It's simple math. If they went from paying them nearly nothing to between $15 to $20 an hour, that's a substantial increase in overhead. If they were willing to eat that cost themselves, then tipping culture never would've been a thing.

That cost would 100% be passed on to consumers through higher prices. This is the same reason retailers and other mass employers have to be dragged kicking and screaming into wage increases.

It's a flawed system, but refusing to tip isn't making some kind of statement. It's just being a cheap asshole.
Yeah, many of these self-righteous folks who don’t tip because “the restaurant should be paying them better”, are just cheap, pretending to give a shit about servers, and essentially exploiting free labor, IMO.

Just seems odd that they’re so adamant not to tip for ethical reasons, but still patron establishments that use this system. Why not boycott them if you’re so against this method of paying servers?

The same people crying about tipping would cry even harder about restaurant prices going up <45>

They like tripled the delivery fees and we are still supposed to add a big tip on top of that? I’ll continue with my $3 standard.

How dare servers feel entitled to survival after performing degrading work.

That's the thing... in other countries around the world it's not seen as degrading work. For the people who work in restaurants, it's just another job. In Australia, we have a minimum wage of about $20 an hour (approx $15 USD) Working in these positions isn't great but it's not below the poverty line, desperation level existence as we actually pay people a decent wage.

It's only considered degrading over there as America treats it's service staff like shit.

It's simple math. If they went from paying them nearly nothing to between $15 to $20 an hour, that's a substantial increase in overhead. If they were willing to eat that cost themselves, then tipping culture never would've been a thing.

That cost would 100% be passed on to consumers through higher prices. This is the same reason retailers and other mass employers have to be dragged kicking and screaming into wage increases.

This is why the government has to show leadership and change the current exploitative, bullshit system.

The difference to the consumer of paying 20% more up front, included in the price of the meal (like fucking everywhere else on the planet does) and paying 20% as a "tip" is? It ensures the worker gets a proper wage and there is no risk of people skipping out on leaving a tip and the servers living in poverty.

The ONLY benefit to the whole fucked up system is to the employer as they pay fuck all in wages.

But that’s not realistic. And you should know that. In the real world, servers live off tips, whether or not that’s the way “it should be”.
Its only not realistic in the USA the majority of the world it is very realistic and works well. So again this doesnt hold weight. Bump up the menu prices and pay the workers more and the stupid tipping culture can be abolished.

Back