Bad Tipping Culture continues with no end in sight

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

Last edited:
I don’t know what to think here..

I always tip at least 15% unless something egregious occurs during service. Delivery is a bit different nowadays and seems to be baked into the cost but then again, you don't want to piss off people dealing with your food. In regards to Doordash, I would rather go pick my food up.

the day i listen to a guy called 'mr manners' wearing a fuckin scarf, tie, shirt, shirt, and jacket tell me how to behave, yall can just put me down.

tipping and the compensation of people in the food industry has been fucked up in the US since ive been alive. My entire immediate family are either cooks or waiters. and they all agree waiters get tipped way too much, and cooks get paid way too little. The waiters in my family get paid more than their managers do. the system is dumb and illogical, and hopefully the fall out from labor shortages during the pandemic might stimulate it to change faster than it was.

And lol @ the woman complaining about an 8$ tip. doordash already directly compensates drivers based on time and distance, and charge it to the consumer. cant say ive ever done a 40 minute delivery, but whenever i used to deliver i'd be happy to get 4$, and this was in the state of hawaii that not only has an extremely high cost of living, but terrible traffic.

I used to deliver for a few different spots and typically your shift pay is way below minimum wage and you have to pay for gas and your car gets depreciated pretty heavily driving. If people didn’t tip or gave bad tips all shift you could really make almost nothing after a shift.

that being said youre pretty much just driving around in your car all day if you don’t like the pay you can always just get a real job lol

that being said youre pretty much just driving around in your car all day if you don’t like the pay you can always just get a real job lol
exactly. and to your previous point, if a tipped position makes less than minimum wage because tips were bad, the employer is required to compensate at least minimum wage.

Maybe don't get a job that relies on my wage over and above the cost of the food. It's not the consumer's fault that a system was created that was/is allowed to pay you a peon's wage and force the difference to be made up on the backs of the customer and their kindness. Also, get a job that pays more. You're not entitled to my money because you're poor.

Tipping threads always bring the Sherdog poors out of the trailer park.

Maybe don't get a job that relies on my wage over and above the cost of the food. It's not the consumer's fault that a system was created that was/is allowed to pay you a peon's wage and force the difference to be made up on the backs of the customer and their kindness. Also, get a job that pays more. You're not entitled to my money because you're poor.

Tipping threads always bring the Sherdog poors out of the trailer park.
also brings out the assholes too.

"dont make enough money? just get a job that pays more duh"

Tipping is important, particularly if it is a place you frequent. The server(s) will look after you from that moment. Even for delivery, tip a decent amount. They have to be on time though, you can’t 45 minutes late, unless something something happened.

Barring lifetime servers most temporary resturant workers will still end up paying out more tips over the course of their lifetime than they received. Almost no one wins from tipping culture except the employer who gets nearly free labor. This issue is the perfect example of divide and conquer. Get the consumer and servers angry at each other rather than their real enemy.

Now assholes of a lower class who are mean to resturant workers are easy to hate regardless but that doesn't change people who don't want to tip are not the real villians of this story.

fuck tipping pay these poor cunts more it shouldnt be my job to pay them to do there job.

BTW im Australian and we do not tip here.
You just pay more for the food anyway and then half of it goes to the restaurant. They make more and food stays cheaper if people just tip.

also brings out the assholes too.

"dont make enough money? just get a job that pays more duh"

He's right.

Take it from someone who spent far too long either on or close to minimum wage, and had to live in a box room.

If you're in a position where you need to survive on the charity of others, you need to change as soon as you can.

I simply budgeted my basic wage and saw any tip that I received as a bonus. I wouldn't wish the desperation one must feel when surviving on tips on anyone.

Then again, I'm English, and a few things that Americans do seem slightly odd to us. I do tip as well, but usually small change, and as a token of appreciation, not as a moral requirement.

Any establishment that doesn't provide a liveable wage deserves to have no staff and go in the red, as far as I'm concerned.

fuck tipping pay these poor cunts more it shouldnt be my job to pay them to do there job.

BTW im Australian and we do not tip here.
The service in the US is hands down better than here and the price of food is a hell of a lot cheaper, I was happy to tip when I was over there

Back