Bad Tipping Culture continues with no end in sight

Every single time I mention anything about tipping on sherdog, I get called a poor SOB and how out of touch I am.

Yet here in Europe, the price that's on the menu is the price I pay. You can tip, but it's not obligatory. The tipping culture that enables the owners to underpay their workers is flawed.

Yep, no-one does this shit apart from the yanks.

...some bizarre shit to the rest of the world.

The whole tipping craze in the US is bonkers, pay these people a living wage instead. Here in Denmark you don't tip anyone unless you absolutely want to or really appreciate the service. It's just not a big thing because people can survive on their wages.

Last edited:
tipping-strippers-in-a-cashless-society-meme-f19deacc364d2af5-05b114dffc29c45a.jpg

This... Jesus titty fucking christ.

That said, I always tip 20+ percent while in the states as the poor bastards get paid like third world wages.
But how is that your problem? Why is it up to you to pay their wage and not the boss?

A lot of assholes in this thread and this isn't even the Warroom. That being said, there needs to be new laws on the books so that employers are forced to pay a living wage. Business owners can change menu prices to reflect the costs of the business, also add taxes on the menu prices. I never understood why business owners in the USA play dumb like they don't know what the fucking tax is, add the fucking tax to the price. I want to know the total price I'm paying.

Somehow people will find a way to twist it into something good that companies are not required to pay their staff properly.

As an Australian, this is ridiculous. We tip but very rarely it depends on the situation.
When I went to America for a holiday and was expected to tip 15/18/20% automatically I was like wtf. I didn't do it. I just rounded up to the nearest 10 bucks.

It's the most retarded culture ever.
Pay them their wage simple as that.

I've lived in the US and Australia. Something I've noticed in these threads is Australians/europeans not actually understanding that it's a different system not merely topping up someone's wage as an extra, in the US it is core to the industry model, unlike Australia/europe.

The menu items are cheaper in the US as the restaraunt pays below minimum wage to the worker (like $3 an hour) who is expected to earn the remainder of their wages through tips. If there is a shortfall, the restaraunt will top up the base wage to the minimum wage, which isnt a living wage.

The expectation is that the customer rewards good service, creating a meritocracy for the servers and filtering out shit servers or motivating them to improve. Further, if you are a repeat customer, the staff will remember who tips well and will take care of them, for example if you are at a crowded bar, they will go out of their way to serve you your drinks before others who arent regs and/or dont tip.

By going there, not tipping but taking the benefit of the cheaper prices, you are fucking over the staff, causing them to go from having a living wage to a non living wage and exploited. A lot of these servers are students, young parents, single parents, marginalised groups, etc. So by not tipping good service, in the US, you are being a piece of shit.

In Australia, where the prices are higher, the staff makes a living wage. It makes little sense to tip then. Frankly, the service in Australia is shit however, in my experience, but at least less people are exploited

Last edited:
Western countries are pretty homogeneous. It's really not an issue, the only outlier is the states who won't fucking pay their people properly... and before anyone comments, I paid a $250 tip earlier this week so eat me.
So why you commenting on my post…
I was calling him out for saying he is happy to not tip and be perceived as an asshole.
While you may be opposed to it, you still observe the scared custom that separates the wheat (usa) from the chaff (whatever other “countries” claim to be our peers because they are also “western”)

I am an expat. I dont get all the customs and dont like them all. I observe them though especially if it will have an influence on the person/peoples lives around me.

But how is that your problem? Why is it up to you to pay their wage and not the boss?
Because it's a part of a social contract, for lack of a better term. It's implicitly understood that servers rely almost solely on tips(in the states), that their contribution is not already factored into that bill, and that it's expected if you patron that establishment, you will at least tip something.

I have noticed an increasing sense of entitlement by service-industry workers in recent years(e.g. ridiculous claims like 20% is the bare minimum one should tip), and I don't agree with this sentiment. But adults understand that these are the folks handling your food, they rely on tips to live, and the food is more reasonably-priced because of this arrangement. And thus, tipping is the correct thing to do. Good service deserves a good tip. Average service deserves an average tip. Poor service deserves a poor tip. Just my .02.

However there are people who like to hide behind an ethical smokescreen, to justify being too stingy to tip.

fuck tipping pay these poor cunts more it shouldnt be my job to pay them to do there job.

BTW im Australian and we do not tip here.
Does the bill come with an automatic 15% service fee?

i wouldn't say it brings out assholes, not everyone is american, its such a strange concept to others.
sure. as an american, i hate our tipping system. im not saying you have to agree with it to not be an asshole. im saying if your opinion is 'dont complain about your pay just get a better job' then youre an asshole.

As someone who worked as a waiter when I was younger I always tip at the minimum 15%. It’s such a small amount for not being a complete douchebag of a human being.

And if for some reason you liked a particular server go ahead and tip 20% or more. Trust me small stuff like that really makes someone’s day.

Does the bill come with an automatic 15% service fee?

No the bill reflects exactly what you ordered there is no extra charges.

Because it's a part of a social contract, for lack of a better term. It's implicitly understood that servers rely almost solely on tips(in the states), that their contribution is not already factored into that bill, and that it's expected if you patron that establishment, you will at least tip something.

I have noticed an increasing sense of entitlement by service-industry workers in recent years(e.g. ridiculous claims like 20% is the bare minimum one should tip), and I don't agree with this sentiment. But adults understand that these are the folks handling your food, they rely on tips to live, and the food is more reasonably-priced because of this arrangement. And thus, tipping is the correct thing to do. Good service deserves a good tip. Average service deserves an average tip. Poor service deserves a poor tip. Just my .02.

However there are people who like to hide behind an ethical smokescreen, to justify being too stingy to tip.

Again I fail to see how this is the consumers problem. If a business is not paying their staff enough, they should not have to rely on charity to make ends meet. That is a flaw in the system, they should just get a higher base wage and if that means prices go up on the menu well so be it.

Back