Social Are you happy with your income ?

In US dollars, per year, I earn approximately

• Total voters
I don’t make a whole lot, but it is more than I have made at previous points in my life and I know I have good pay increases every year where i work so I’m happy. When I top out my pay it will be nearly double where I’m at now. I’m basically middle class now for the first time in my adult life. Always working class before.

At my main job I don't make a lot, but I also don't have to work hard so its fair. I got a part-time job just prior to Covid that would have pushed me into a different tax bracket. I went from kind of poor to borderline middle class in Ontario, Canada. The problem is still have $30,000 of student loans to pay off. That monthly payment can hurt.

My wife and I combined are getting close to 200k. But living in San Diego that's not saying much lol.

That's pretty solid, unless you're trying to live in La Jolla, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, etc.

worked throughout my 20's doing landscaping for just enough money to rent a room and live paycheck to paycheck. no savings, no benefits, needed help from family if something unexpected came up. Then when the 2008 economy crap happened i realized i needed to start over. Moved back in with my parents and was unemployed for little over a year in my late 20's. Stumbled across water jobs in my area which sounded enticing because having a blue collar background helps get you in the door but there were also so many branches of water jobs you can get into if you want to go to school and take cert tests. Plus i figured water is a reliable industry so i went all in with college courses at my local junior college. Saw an opening at the biggest drinking water district in the county for entry level maintenance worker which included weed eating, painting, cleaning buildings etc...

9 years later im now running the treatment plant and distribution system serving over 600k residents on a SCADA system in a cozy building where i get to surf the internet and watch movies and workout. Gonna make about 130k this year and still have raises ahead of me as i continue to max out my certs. I feel very satisfied with where im at and what im doing.

I love reading shit like this.

Good for you, man.

That's pretty solid, unless you're trying to live in La Jolla, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, etc.
Yeah, we're looking for a house now.. but we're talking mid city or La Mesa. We really don't want to spend more than $500k. It's crazy to think that people that make much less than we do are buying $600-700k houses here.

Yeah, we're looking for a house now.. but we're talking mid city or La Mesa. We really don't want to spend more than $500k. It's crazy to think that people that make much less than we do are buying $600-700k houses here.

There are houses for $500K in San Diego?

house poor people are so dumb. We could "afford" a house twice as expensive as we have, but honestly what's the fucking point. Some fool will live in a house too big for himself, while we will retire at 55

I dont make alot but I'm smart with money. My wife hasn't worked since August cuz our son was born in september so I've been the sole earner for a family of 3. We got 4 animals, 2 cars, and a decent house and we pay the Bill's just fine.

house poor people are so dumb. We could "afford" a house twice as expensive as we have, but honestly what's the fucking point. Some fool will live in a house too big for himself, while we will retire at 55

When I bought this house I made sure not to be house poor.

1500 sq ft, 2 bed 2 bath, finished basement with 2 car garage. Mortgage is less than 15% of my gross pay.

I’m pretty happy with it. Though I would like a promotion in the next couple years. But my income isn’t bad. Combined with my wife’s, we make more than enough to get by.

Yes and no. I'm comfortable now and will continue to be more than comfortable so long as I keep working. But I don't have enough money where I can just stop working, which makes me sad.

Gotta go mid city there. My buddy lives in normal heights, I like that area. Hard pass on L. A. Mesa though, lol.

I'm in your same ballpark on what I'm looking to spend on a house this year, low 500s at most. I've seen some good options further north. It's hard to know when is the time to buy though, with what's going on in the world right now. You plan on waiting to see if prices drop more?

Since my income is 0 because I'm unemployed.. yes.. I'm not completely satisfy.

On the other side I'm totally happy about not working.

Gotta go mid city there. My buddy lives in normal heights, I like that area. Hard pass on L. A. Mesa though, lol.

I'm in your same ballpark on what I'm looking to spend on a house this year, low 500s at most. I've seen some good options further north. It's hard to know when is the time to buy though, with what's going on in the world right now. You plan on waiting to see if prices drop more?
I live in Normal Heights now... 1,000 sq ft houses in this area are like $700k now.

I wouldn't mind moving north as I work in North County.. but my wife works near the border will probably retire at the prison so we need to find middle ground

got 2 jobs its ok
job 1 pays about 55 a year
job 2 pays aobut 10 a year
fiancee makes aobut 40 a year

Back