Social Are you happy with your income ?

In US dollars, per year, I earn approximately

• Total voters
So if you make over 100k? Its 50%

So if you make 110k a year. The 10k over 100k is fully taxed at 50%. Which is 5k.

The money under 100k is taxed at the other tax brackets

It's way under 100k.. if you make more than 51k (they upped it recently) you're taxed 50% on everything over 51k.. 30% on everything under 51k..

no. it actually causes me major depression. My biggest passion in the world is cars, but I'll never be able to own a garage of ~5 super cars like I dream of. No Ferraris. No Lambos. No nothing truly exotic or amazing. I'm not poor but there is zero chance of me owning a supercar in the next 20 years.

I've resorted to playing the lottery constantly. its all or nothing for me. Either I win millions, or I dont want to even bother living.

Cars like that are basically immoral in my world view, I think.

I'm still working it out in my head, but I think they're bad for the environment, don't really improve anyone's life, the owner usually invests themselves in it and it can only break. To use it is to burn it up and the money in it. All those resources not going for anything positive, one could just buy a family beset by tragedy a new home or something.

One could spend the money improving the lives of many.

How can one justify a super carhcar/hypercar? Seems to me that owning one is broadcasting to the world that you are a complete prick.

iu
Ive got 70 canadian tire dollars im pretty proud of that

Well on my full wage I was saving £400-£500 a month. I used to do overtime, which would net me £200 on top of that, but I stopped getting it six months before the pandemic.

On the 80% I'm on now, I'm still paying the bills and am not in the red (although paying £900 for servicing, not and new brake pads and disks on my car set me back this month).

Am I happy? Used to be, and I'm glad that when I'm working, I can save something. I want a mortgage on a home however, and getting there felt slow. It's all on hold now, so I don't think about it.

I don't have much, but I'm pretty comfortable. I can go on holiday, though I'll be setting my goals back a few months if I do.

I've paid off my mortgage a long time ago. I've ran out of shit to buy.

I've learned a lesson too early in life.

I want to buy X, then I get X. Then I want Y. Then I get Y. Then I wanted Z. Then I got Z.

I noticed a pattern. I keep wanting and getting what I want. Then life has lost meaning.

I still have around 25 years left before I die. The fuck am I gonna do the next 25 or so years?
Play Warcraft I guess

I know what you mean though. I was terrible about buying video games on sale and upgrading my computer all the time. I’ve done a better job of scaling that back in the past couple years.

I make about 100k before taxes, much less after taxes. And 100k where I live is almost poverty level. So no, I'm not happy with my income. I want to earn more, but I'm lazy and confused about what I want. Taking that first step towards something new is always the hardest. I like investing in stocks, but the market is weird right now. I pulled out my money (the little that I had invested) while I was still ahead, but now I don't see a good opportunity to buy back in.
It takes 100k to stay afloat in North Korea??

house poor people are so dumb. We could "afford" a house twice as expensive as we have, but honestly what's the fucking point. Some fool will live in a house too big for himself, while we will retire at 55
This. I feel the same way about luxury cars. Even if I made triple what I make now I would still be driving the same car I have right now

No but I'm much closer. I make roughly 32 to 35k per year. My rent skyrocketed and I have a car payment now. So with all that I'm barely making ends meet. Use overtime to stay caught up and save. Almost debt free now. Just a few hundred more and I'll finally be free.

I've paid off my mortgage a long time ago. I've ran out of shit to buy.

I've learned a lesson too early in life.

I want to buy X, then I get X. Then I want Y. Then I get Y. Then I wanted Z. Then I got Z.

I noticed a pattern. I keep wanting and getting what I want. Then life has lost meaning.

I still have around 25 years left before I die. The fuck am I gonna do the next 25 or so years?
This is how I'm starting to feel. Nearly accomplished all my goals but I'm not much happier. I feel restless and unfulfilled. When I have the time to buy stuff, I have little time or interest in using it.

This is how I'm starting to feel. Nearly accomplished all my goals but I'm not much happier. I feel restless and unfulfilled. When I have the time to buy stuff, I have little time or interest in using it.

Try traveling since i think you havent done a lot of it.

Usually high point of the month/year/life for people

Ive got 70 canadian tire dollars im pretty proud of that
You're practically a rockafella with that amount. I remember when I was a kid and had $3 worth, felt like I was part of the upper middle class

My lady and I have a combined income of about $140k and live in the upper midwest. It goes a long way. It's the equivalent of of about $300k in NYC. We have a yard, two kids and a dog. We're in the process of building a new house.

Income is enough to pay my bills, save a lot for retirement, mostly do whatever I want, and not worry about money or the future. I know people in the same field here who are incompetent but making more than I do, which is annoying, so sometimes I wish I got paid more or that pay somehow was tied to competency. But overall, I would say I’m pretty happy.

Last edited:
WOW! Good luck finding a house in the Bay Area that cheap. Houses in the nice parts start at a mil or two and go up from there.
Bay Area? I live in San Diego

Unless you're just comparing the market lol. In which case, I know how ridiculous it is up there.

Crazy to think it was about even 25 years ago

Myself and the wife work (she does part time) and we do okay for ourselves. Own a decent sized home (2250 sq ft), two newish cars, no college or credit card debt, have a toddler and another kid on the way.

Just over four years ago I was couch surfing at my parents house until I saved up and moved out with some friends to finish school.

Your buddies point is well taken in the corporate realm..You need to consider the fact that not everyone is happy for another’s mans success..jealousy is an unfortunate fact of life..
Also, people who work for others in the corporate setting have a very different situation than someone self employed..We who are self employed have many reasons not to discuss income..

Additionally at the height of my day I employed 15 people, as a business owner I don’t want employees sharing their salaries..
As an owner I designate worth differently than some employees do.
You need harmony on the job site and I have experienced many times when salary info getting out has caused dissension among the troops..
Lastly being successful and not attaching to much grandiosity to it is an important thing ..It helps to stay grounded , remain humble, and live with gratitude..I don’t think there is a correct approach, just correct in regards to each individual living and sharing in a way that makes them comfortable.

Yes.. which is exactly my point.. you as the employer do not want employees to share their salaries since you pay people as you see fit..

I'm not sure that is very beneficial for the worker.. if you chose to pay someone more than the other guy i think the other guy deserves to know why..

If that makes the other guy turn on his collegues he's obviously an idiot as at the edge of the argument expects someone else to go down in pay so he can feel comfortable..

I'm not in charge or salarys (the union is) but when i speak to my guys i'm very open with what i expect and don't expect and i want the same treatment back.. we're all just functions to achieve a goal and no one is beyond critique..

Yeah.. when self employed i understand completely..

Back