Social Are you happy with your income ?

In US dollars, per year, I earn approximately

• Total voters
I live in the Bay Area. If you want to live in the prime cities here you need a total income of about 700k. That would get you the median home size while still having a mortgage at an acceptable level of debt.

It’s a bit of a shit show.

I won't be happy until I have enough money to have politicians in my pocket.

I live in the Bay Area. If you want to live in the prime cities here you need a total income of about 700k. That would get you the median home size while still having a mortgage at an acceptable level of debt.

It’s a bit of a shit show.

How much would a decent home cost you? I imagine all the bullshit taxes in Cali would be like death by 100 cuts.

I paid 500k for my place and it's a 3br duplex penthouse in the city (Bangkok). I'm also close to 0% effective tax.

If you could make your 700k online, you should consider moving somewhere.

This. I feel the same way about luxury cars. Even if I made triple what I make now I would still be driving the same car I have right now
Just buy an old Lexus and pretend it's 1995
624441-1-1997-ls400-lexus-base-bc-racing-coilovers-jnc-jnc010-custom.jpg

Bay Area? I live in San Diego

Unless you're just comparing the market lol. In which case, I know how ridiculous it is up there.

Crazy to think it was about even 25 years ago

Yeah, I was comparing the prices. It's insane how expensive we are compared to the rest of Cali. Even 2 bedroom condos are +/- 1 million.

Last edited:
How much would a decent home cost you?

Depends in what part of the Bay Area you live. $1m will buy you a mediocre 2000 sq ft house in some less desirable areas, an 800 sq ft shack in some places, and then a lot of areas will have no houses under a million.

Last edited:
How much would a decent home cost you? I imagine all the bullshit taxes in Cali would be like death by 100 cuts.

I paid 500k for my place and it's a 3br duplex penthouse in the city (Bangkok). I'm also close to 0% effective tax.

If you could make your 700k online, you should consider moving somewhere.

If you want to be in SF or the surrounding cities around Palo Alto the average $/SF of a home is about $1,100. The median home size in the US is 2,600 SF so you’re at about 2.9 million.

If you work in tech this is what you’re facing coming here. The alternative is to go to the east bay where prices drop to about $500/SF or 1.3m homes, but you are signing up for a 2 hour commute each day.

Most people that come here have most of their comp tied up in stock options. They rough it out renting for about 4-5 years hoping for a liquidity event that gets them a million which they use to buy the home.

It’s rough but if you can get over the hump you’re OK.

In public accounting big 4, a little less than 100k but a promotion coming up soon

this covid stuff has allowed me to work completely remote, for the foreseeable future

if I never have to go back to the office, I’m all in

$106,000 per annum crew checking in.

Another $10,000 with bonus.

Private Health Care for me and my family and 6 times my salary to my wife for death in service.

I’m happy with that for the moment.

I’m 40, and as long as my health holds up I’ll be seeing a directorship in 5 years and double my basic salary and on top of that share options.

Yup, I’m a wanker.

bork1}

Back