1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Are Americans falling behind in MMA?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by -guerilla-, Jan 12, 2019.

1. BigBadKraken

BigBadKraken Yellow Belt

2. -guerilla-

-guerilla- Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993

You can train MMA style without any contact if you like.

The reason martial arts schools aren't interested in teaching MMA is that it has no belt ranking/ uniform or association fees and that's where the big money is made in martial arts

Plus insurance companies are ignorant in referance to the TRUE risk of MMA training so it carries mutch too high a liability.

America would have loads of great Champions if we allowed poor people to train in government-sponsored facilities

Like we used to do with boxing, wrestling and Judo in this country.

3. -guerilla-

Wow more cartoons on a cage fighters forum...

Perhaps there's another reason why America sucks at combat sports.

4. BigBadKraken

BigBadKraken Yellow Belt

"Cage fighters".

Is this 1999?

I am English.

It isn't a cartoon.

This isn't a cage fighter's forum. It's a forum for people who watch "cage fighters".

5. Subfighter

Subfighter White Belt

@-guerrilla- hard to tell, bro. Japan's MMA market was more open to them than USA's on the last two decades. USA was pretty open to brazilians and some europeans though.
    All I am saying is: Individuality is a thing to be considered.
    Maybe russians will start to shine more often in USA for quite some time, but then other fighters will take them out. Same thing happened to brazilians. Naturally.

6. Judoka1532

Judoka1532 Judoka1532

Ok so have you calculated the number of fighters by country? Because I want to know what the % or ranked fighters are based off of the number of fighters from their respective countries

7. -guerilla-

Right-o guv....

That's not a cartoon at all...

It's a bloody puppet show.

Well done!

8. -guerilla-

Yeah that's a great observation the Japanese promotions have always welcomed the Russians and everybody else with open arms, I've always deeply respected them for that

in the early days the Japanese had an alarming number of works..that was my only concern

The Russians have FINALLY arrived in American mma,
    However, I don't think they are gonna be replaced any time soon.

9. -guerilla-

Yeah I did the math before the last two UFC events...

54% of UFC top 15 ranked ATHLETES are not American.

The last 2 UFC events were a total wash for American fighters.

You know, the ones where Americans lost all but one of their international matches AND the welterweight championship.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  10. iwillbebackin3weeks

iwillbebackin3weeks Blue Belt

I dont give a shit.

America dominates the second best sport: Basketball.

11. Judoka1532

Judoka1532 Judoka1532

I mean of all fighters. But I just found the answer i'm looking for.
    There are 583 fighters in the ufc. 277 are Americans. That equals 47.5%. The numbers seem to tell a story here don't they. If Americans make up 46% of the top 15, and 47.5% of all 583 fighters...then that means it's about where it should be.

12. WOW

WOW Yellow Belt

That's not a cartoon you stupid idiot !

13. Subfighter

Subfighter White Belt

They won't be replaced. Same thing with brazilians and americans.
    I just don't think there will be some kind of domination based on nationality, you know? I believe in good training and individual skills.
    Dagestanis are good, but are they all Khabib level of good? Not at all.
    We now have an african UFC champion. However, we can't ignore the fact that Usman spent most of his life in USA (since he was 8) and had trained 100% in USA.
    How many russians (former soviets) nowadays have the same level of skills and dominance as Khabib? Minakov?Valentin Moldavsky? Unlikely.
    It's all about good training camps and skilled athletes. And we have this all over the world. And once the fighters become elite, they start looking for training camps in Thailand, Brazil, USA etc.
    I predict MMA to become more like kickboxing. In kickboxing, there isn't a country that dominates it. You have champs from Netherlands, Rússia, Japan, Brazil, USA, New Zeland, Morrocos, Turkey... not only from Thailand anymore.

14. noc

noc Green Belt

You never think of those foreigners are elite ? :rolleyes: UFC only wants very good foreigners.

Here in SouthAmerica every interesting Brazilian prospect goes to the UFC, the rest of SouthAmerican fighters cant get many wins in Brazil. Every MMA figther in the world has his eyes put in the UFC, most of them dont have the level. UFC has the best figthers and USA guys are very good and many.. UFC being American promotion has nothing to do with that. I dont remenber an American losing here, i dont know in Brazil
    In Tapology web site you can know all the figthers that exist in the world and their record and where r they in the world ranking

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  15. -guerilla-

the UFC is the biggest tournament and the biggest prize and it is an American promotion that occurs primarily in America yet Americans don't even have a 50% participation rate at the top 15 ranked ATHLETES.

That's really an amazing commentary on Americans proficiency in combat sports like grappling and kickboxing

let's look at this another way...
    considering the statistics if you had 100 18 year old males randomly selected from the American population and 100 18 year old males randomly selected from the russian/Brazilian population who do you think would win in an MMA contest one on one?

Please keep in mind Americans get CRUSHED in Olympic combat sports (judo wrestling, tae kwon do, boxing and fencing) year after year after year!

16. -guerilla-

I couldn't agree more when you said it's all about good training not the individual however we differ in the respect of where is the good training to be found....

now in the United States you can get the best training in the world but it's only available to the relatively well-off Americans

of course when a pro fighter shows excellent promise from another Nation they get absorbed into these Top Notch American facilities

Now consider the average trailer park or ghetto kid who has no access whatsoever to high-quality martial arts training in our country

in the old Soviet Bloc countries and Brazil they have excellent opportunities to practice hardcore styles from childhood

That's the difference while American parents won't let their children learn to box for fear of injury kids in Brazil and Russia understand a three-punch combination at around 10 years of age and have numerous opportunities to get involved with Combat Sports as they are respected and revered in those Nations

whereas in America the Combat Sports participation rate has been plummeting in the last 50 years and the cost for high-quality martial arts training has been skyrocketing

17. -guerilla-

The UFC wants very good foreign Fighters that the American Champions can beat

so if you bring me an excellent kickboxer from Brazil I'm going to match him against an excellent american wrestler and the Brazilian is likely to lose.

If you bring me a good submission artist I will use a striker who has good TDD and instruct him to avoid the ground.

These are solid tactics but to avoid the style most likely to beat you almost entirely is simply dodging

The problem with the Russian in Iranian freestyle wrestlers is they don't have a lot of vulnerability...

And when you look at DC's record he has only fought one freestyle wrestler.

Only 1 in his entire MMA career

considering his poor record against freestyle wrestlers I doubt this is accidental.

He's 2/6 vs Soviet bloc wrestlers and has a 100% loss rate to Iranian wrestlers

And there are thousands of them and they all want to compete in the UFC

What you're seeing now is a worldwide ranking system that is respected emerge for the first time in the sports history

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    1pedestrian likes this.
  18. IGotAHugePeckah

IGotAHugePeckah Purple Belt

Current champs

HW - DC - American, trains in America
    LHW - Jon Jones - American, trains in America
    WW - Usman - Nigerian, lives and trains in America
    LW - Khabib - Russian, trains in America
    FW - Holloway - American, trains in American
    BW - Dillashaw - American, trains in America
    FW - Cejudo - American, trains in America

FW/BW - Nunes - Brazilian, lives and trains in America
    FlyW - Valentina - Russian, lives and trains in America
    SW - Rose - American, trains in America

So only Robert Whitaker is not American and/or does not train in America out of all the UFC champs.

So based on that, I would say no, America is not falling behind in MMA.

19. Topguntrophey

Topguntrophey Brown Belt

20. -guerilla-

Gotcha...so with the MAJORITY of top ranked ATHLETES being non American how long do you think Americans can hold all those belts?

And you don't consider a foreigner that trained in another country before they won the belt and THEN moved to America and American champion do you?

Even though America has the best training facilities in the world they still don't produce the best fighters clearly the majority of UFC's top-ranked athletes are not American

why do you think that is?