1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Are Americans falling behind in MMA?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by -guerilla-, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Bork Neslar

Bork Neslar Yellow Card Yellow Card

Mickey Gall is american, and he'll become the UFC WW champion some day.

Bob Sapp and Subfighter like this.
  2. -guerilla-

-guerilla- Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993

Meathead Jock likes this.
  3. -guerilla-

Well...

more bad math for the Americans last night in UFC fight night (lewis vs dos santos)...

Americans were soundly thumped at a 100% rate

In the main card it was a foreign SWEEP with
    2x BRAZIL
    1X BULGARIA
    1X IRAN
    1X RUSSIA

ZERO WINS FOR THE USA in international matches!

America is falling behind in MMA!!!!

reddhelium likes this.
  4. iwillbebackin3weeks

iwillbebackin3weeks Blue Belt

<bball2>

5. Judoka1532

Judoka1532 Judoka1532

Ok i don't have enough stats in front of me to refute your claim. However, it does raise a question if we are basing this solely off of 1 event.

HW Champ: DC
    LH: Jones:
    WW: Usman (1/2 I suppose) (american trained)
    Feather: Max
    Bant: TJ
    Fly: Cejudo
    Women's Straw: Namajunas

6 out of 11 divisions, 7 if counting usman.

6. -guerilla-

Bro...u REALLY need to read the thread b4 you respond.

There's 15 pages of hard data...and now it's even stronger because Americans have been DOMINATED in the last 2 UFC events.

Americans are falling behind in MMA

7. Zorrox

Zorrox Brown Belt

<1>

8. -guerilla-

No wonder...they train hard in gyms that dont sweat liability and cost 1/16th as mutch

while we post funny cartoons on cagefighter forums and only the privilaged can afford the better gyms in the usa

9. Meathead Jock

Meathead Jock WAR ASKREN

Hasn't held them back from being successful. But it has potentially held them back from being EVEN MORE successful.

10. -guerilla-

BIG TIME

If we supported combat athletics like wrestling, boxing, tae kwon do, judo and even fencing we would most likely DOMINATE!

IN every zip code in America there is a talented potential fighter that has no access to high-quality training because they do not have the upper middle class income required to pay for high quality mixed martial arts training.

Perhaps if Derrick Lewis trained in Judo Jiu-Jitsu boxing and wrestling since he was a child he wouldn't have got his ass kicked by a Brazilian last night?

Instead he was in legal trouble most of his life and was driving a towtruck as an adult before he was taught the first thing about MMA.

As a high school wrestling coach I often times meet kids that don't have the discipline grades and finances to attend a better school with a better sports team and mixed martial arts are an Avenue for them to stay out of trouble and focus on something that may pan out in the future or at least learn the discipline required to win a fight and recognize how dangerous it is to fight in the streets and that's be less likely to get in trouble as an adult

Access to high-quality low-cost Athletics keeps kids out of trouble this is a tried-and-true proven tactic well known to any of us in the professional Athletics field.

In the United States the average poor kid only has access to high school athletics for a few years of their life... this is a shadow of the opportunities kids in other countries have to participate in mixed martial arts because they have more state-sponsored opportunities to learn for a low cost

Once again just imagine if Derrick Lewis had a soviet-style training background and was today currently competing for the United States and mixed martial arts and or the Olympics!!!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  11. podsox

podsox Silver Belt

A few yrs ago bareo, aldo, Anderson, shogun, and jds all held belts around the same time

12. -guerilla-

In the beginning of mma we were also outnumbered by foreign athletes and Brazilians were chief among them.

MANY MANY promotion lamented this fact because just like the Olympics the lucrative American ADVERTISING market did not want to invest in a sport where American athletes were more
    Likely to loose
    (Just like wrestling in the Olympics)

The first Americans that showed any ability to win were the wrestlers like
    Dan severn, mark coleman, Kevin randallman, mark kerr and Tom Erickson.

It was becoming very clear that wrestling was most likely to be the dominant art or sport in mma's future and everybody knew that the old Soviet Bloc countries were the best wrestlers in the world
    (just like the Olympics)

the UFC promoters were acutely aware that Soviet Bloc Champions were not going to be good for business

I believe until recently there has been an active campaign to keep Soviet Bloc freestyle wrestlers out of American mixed martial arts

That kind of artificial control can't last forever and sooner or later Talent will break through the barrier

khabib nurmagomedovs win over Conor McGregor was a watershed moment that awoken average Americans to the existence of the old Soviet Bloc wrestlers dominance over mixed martial arts.

Now for the first time modern mixed martial arts is starting to get the recognition it deserves and with recognition comes organization

The "Don King" style of protecting your franchise athletes won't be tolerated in modern MMA.

if the fans recognize the tactic that is!

13. Subfighter

Subfighter White Belt

It is not about nations. It is about fighters. At one point, Brazil had champs in UFC at multiple divisions and at the same time (Barao, Anderson, Aldo, Shogun and JDS). Now we only have Nunes. Their time came and new fighters from another nations became champions (USA, Russia, Ireland, Poland).
    You can't really say it is a "nation's thing". Most champs go through camp trainings located in other countries.
    Just my two cents.

14. Meathead Jock

Meathead Jock WAR ASKREN

@-guerilla- it sort of feels like it's not so much as Americans falling behind as it is the American organization cracking the door open to Dagestan and Russia and creating a champion that is forcing the door to be pushed open further for other top fighters who were otherwise kept out of the UFC causing American fans to assume that they suck or are can crushers.

15. JkMMA

JkMMA Brown Belt

Some say the Chinese will take over within 5-10 years.

16. -guerilla-

So where have all the russian wrestlers been All these years?

17. -guerilla-

So where have they been in the meantime??

Subfighter likes this.
  18. Judoka1532

Judoka1532 Judoka1532

My response was directly in response to your comment about last night's card. Look, first I don't understand the importance of america being the top dog in mma. I would anticipate, over time the playing field will level out. It looks like it's heading in that direction. I still think usa has the best overall.

I think I also read where you said the ufc isn't the best promotion. From an opinion perspective, I totally disagree. I'll read more into this thread before I take on any stats.

19. marvinparsons

marvinparsons Green Belt

Most martial arts facilities cater to hobbyists, not serious athletes .

People want to do a martial art that works, doesn't injure them and/or involve real fighting. BJJ fits this niche. Training "MMA" does not. If you train MMA and then fight you risk serious injury. You can compete in BJJ with minimal risk.

Most grown men can't handle the rigors of MMA, judo, wrestling or full contact striking. You are pretty much left with BJJ. Before BJJ it was karate or tae kwon do.

20. -guerilla-

Well one would think that American athletes would dominate THEIR largest promotion.

But...

If you read this thread you may be supprised to learn that foreign fighters make up the MAJORITY of top 15 athletes across all weight classes.

It was 54% before the last 2 UFC events (where Americans won a cumilitive 1 international match across BOTH EVENTS)

PLUS LOST THE WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP