Are Americans falling behind in MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In heavyweight:
19 out of 25 men on this list are not americans....thats 76%!!!

In light heavyweight:
18 of 25 are not Americans... 72%!!!

For middleweight:
its 12/25...plus the champion is not American....thats only 48%.

For welterweight:
13/25 are not American...thats 52%!!!

Lightweight:
12/25 plus champ are not American...48%

Featherweight:
10/25 not American...40%

Bantamweight
12/25 not American...48%

Flyweight:
10/22 not American....45%

That total is 106 out of 197 of the UFC top ranked ATHLETES are not American...thats 54%

America's biggest mma tournament has predominantly foreign athletes participating!

So if we take worldwide mma tournaments into the equation it would be a CRUSHING percentage.

Americans are falling behind in MMA!

http://rankingmma.com/ufc-rankings/heavyweight/

[please check my math]

Last edited:
UFC 235

Foreign fighters win 4/5 international matches AND the welterweight title...

Americans are falling behind in MMA!!!

Cody stamann...your carrying the flag brother...good job!

our single international victory in UFC 235

Why would I loose sleep?

AS a pro coach I love crappy fighters, they show up and with minimal effort I can RADICALLY improve them.

I look like a awesome coach just because I had better training.

Incase you missed the UWW Dan Kolov-Nikola Petrov tournament this past week.

" The U.S. men carried away the freestyle team title in formidable fashion, their successes accumulating them 147 points, far above second place finisher Russia’s 115 points. Turkey settled for bronze with 100 points."

Americans wrestling programs is taking off, told you so.

Incase you missed the UWW Dan Kolov-Nikola Petrov tournament this past week.

" The U.S. men carried away the freestyle team title in formidable fashion, their successes accumulating them 147 points, far above second place finisher Russia’s 115 points. Turkey settled for bronze with 100 points."

Americans wrestling programs is taking off, told you so.

Well that's great and hey, it only took a few years...
AND were bound to catch up one day.

Next time it's gonna be Greco and Judo also!

Average number of medals ultimately won by United States medalists
1.02 1.67 2.23 1.38
Average number of championships ultimately won by United States champions
1.05 1.00 1.81 1.00

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_results_in_men's_freestyle_wrestling

Average number of medals ultimately won by URS/RUS medalists
N/A 2.43 2.42 2.27

Average number of championships ultimately won by URS/RUS champions N/A 2.21 2.44 2.20

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_and_Russian_results_in_men's_freestyle_wrestling

Well that's great and hey, it only took a few years...
AND were bound to catch up one day.

Next time it's gonna be Greco and Judo also!

Average number of medals ultimately won by United States medalists
1.02 1.67 2.23 1.38
Average number of championships ultimately won by United States champions
1.05 1.00 1.81 1.00

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_results_in_men's_freestyle_wrestling

Average number of medals ultimately won by URS/RUS medalists
N/A 2.43 2.42 2.27

Average number of championships ultimately won by URS/RUS champions N/A 2.21 2.44 2.20

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_and_Russian_results_in_men's_freestyle_wrestling

No one is arguing that US had struggled in the past, but they've built a solid Olympic team this year, and have some great wrestlers on board.

Mickey Gall is american, and he'll become the UFC WW champion some day.

Well...

more bad math for the Americans last night in UFC fight night (lewis vs dos santos)...

Americans were soundly thumped at a 100% rate

In the main card it was a foreign SWEEP with
2x BRAZIL
1X BULGARIA
1X IRAN
1X RUSSIA

ZERO WINS FOR THE USA in international matches!

America is falling behind in MMA!!!!

Well more bad math for the Americans last night in UFC fight night lewis vs dos santos...

In the main card American were soundly thumped at a 100% rate

2x BRAZIL
1X BULGARIA
1X IRAN
1X RUSSIA

<bball2>

Well more bad math for the Americans last night in UFC fight night lewis vs dos santos...

In the main card American were soundly thumped at a 100% rate

2x BRAZIL
1X BULGARIA
1X IRAN
1X RUSSIA

Ok i don't have enough stats in front of me to refute your claim. However, it does raise a question if we are basing this solely off of 1 event.

HW Champ: DC
LH: Jones:
WW: Usman (1/2 I suppose) (american trained)
Feather: Max
Bant: TJ
Fly: Cejudo
Women's Straw: Namajunas

6 out of 11 divisions, 7 if counting usman.

Ok i don't have enough stats in front of me to refute your claim. However, it does raise a question if we are basing this solely off of 1 event.

HW Champ: DC
LH: Jones:
WW: Usman (1/2 I suppose) (american trained)
Feather: Max
Bant: TJ
Fly: Cejudo
Women's Straw: Namajunas

6 out of 11 divisions, 7 if counting usman.

Bro...u REALLY need to read the thread b4 you respond.

There's 15 pages of hard data...and now it's even stronger because Americans have been DOMINATED in the last 2 UFC events.

Americans are falling behind in MMA

No wonder...they train hard in gyms that dont sweat liability and cost 1/16th as mutch

while we post funny cartoons on cagefighter forums and only the privilaged can afford the better gyms in the usa

Hasn't held them back from being successful. But it has potentially held them back from being EVEN MORE successful.

BIG TIME

If we supported combat athletics like wrestling, boxing, tae kwon do, judo and even fencing we would most likely DOMINATE!

IN every zip code in America there is a talented potential fighter that has no access to high-quality training because they do not have the upper middle class income required to pay for high quality mixed martial arts training.

Perhaps if Derrick Lewis trained in Judo Jiu-Jitsu boxing and wrestling since he was a child he wouldn't have got his ass kicked by a Brazilian last night?

Instead he was in legal trouble most of his life and was driving a towtruck as an adult before he was taught the first thing about MMA.

As a high school wrestling coach I often times meet kids that don't have the discipline grades and finances to attend a better school with a better sports team and mixed martial arts are an Avenue for them to stay out of trouble and focus on something that may pan out in the future or at least learn the discipline required to win a fight and recognize how dangerous it is to fight in the streets and that's be less likely to get in trouble as an adult

Access to high-quality low-cost Athletics keeps kids out of trouble this is a tried-and-true proven tactic well known to any of us in the professional Athletics field.

In the United States the average poor kid only has access to high school athletics for a few years of their life... this is a shadow of the opportunities kids in other countries have to participate in mixed martial arts because they have more state-sponsored opportunities to learn for a low cost

Once again just imagine if Derrick Lewis had a soviet-style training background and was today currently competing for the United States and mixed martial arts and or the Olympics!!!

Last edited:
A few yrs ago bareo, aldo, Anderson, shogun, and jds all held belts around the same time

A few yrs ago bareo, aldo, Anderson, shogun, and jds all held belts around the same time

In the beginning of mma we were also outnumbered by foreign athletes and Brazilians were chief among them.

MANY MANY promotion lamented this fact because just like the Olympics the lucrative American ADVERTISING market did not want to invest in a sport where American athletes were more
Likely to loose
(Just like wrestling in the Olympics)

The first Americans that showed any ability to win were the wrestlers like
Dan severn, mark coleman, Kevin randallman, mark kerr and Tom Erickson.

It was becoming very clear that wrestling was most likely to be the dominant art or sport in mma's future and everybody knew that the old Soviet Bloc countries were the best wrestlers in the world
(just like the Olympics)

the UFC promoters were acutely aware that Soviet Bloc Champions were not going to be good for business

I believe until recently there has been an active campaign to keep Soviet Bloc freestyle wrestlers out of American mixed martial arts

That kind of artificial control can't last forever and sooner or later Talent will break through the barrier

khabib nurmagomedovs win over Conor McGregor was a watershed moment that awoken average Americans to the existence of the old Soviet Bloc wrestlers dominance over mixed martial arts.

Now for the first time modern mixed martial arts is starting to get the recognition it deserves and with recognition comes organization

The "Don King" style of protecting your franchise athletes won't be tolerated in modern MMA.

if the fans recognize the tactic that is!

Last edited:
It is not about nations. It is about fighters. At one point, Brazil had champs in UFC at multiple divisions and at the same time (Barao, Anderson, Aldo, Shogun and JDS). Now we only have Nunes. Their time came and new fighters from another nations became champions (USA, Russia, Ireland, Poland).
You can't really say it is a "nation's thing". Most champs go through camp trainings located in other countries.
Just my two cents.

Last edited:
@-guerilla- it sort of feels like it's not so much as Americans falling behind as it is the American organization cracking the door open to Dagestan and Russia and creating a champion that is forcing the door to be pushed open further for other top fighters who were otherwise kept out of the UFC causing American fans to assume that they suck or are can crushers.

26 years ago no-holds-barred fighting was supposed to prove what the greatest martial art was, here we are today and I think the answer is pretty clear mixed martial arts as a style is superior to every other discipline ever created however I've noticed that the United States has fewer mixed martial arts gyms then I expected by now.

I expected mixed martial arts to take over the world but today if you search for MMA on Google Maps 99% of the results will be Brazilian jiu-jitsu gyms.

Royce Gracie was a Phenom No Doubt but we don't see anybody walking into the ring in a Jiu-Jitsu Gi nowadays however 99% of your training opportunities in 99% of America's hometowns is traditional Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

why has Brazilian jiu-jitsu dominated the the American martial arts market for so many years and it's almost impossible to find pure mixed martial arts as a style in most of America's towns?

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu doesn't have video games or TV shows or betting odds like MMA however it dominates the martial arts Marketplace!

I really feel like the rest of the world is leaving America in the dust and the fact that we are the biggest country with the best technology and the best athletes and still don't dominate the grappling Sports and MMA is a bit of a cluster.

In a lot of countries the state actually has free gymnasiums where people can go train in Combat Athletics meanwhile in America all our training opportunitys are private for-profit businesses who sweat liability and prioritize profits.

don't let the UFC rankings fool you,
I don't think the UFC has the best fighters in the world I think they put on the best fights in the world there's a difference!
Some say the Chinese will take over within 5-10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back