Are Americans falling behind in MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clinical studies have shown that the American kids are falling behind in MMAth.

You reminds me of the Pride fans that thought those figthers would be dominant champions here
Ignore him he's a troll, he tried to say on a seperate threat that folkstyle doesn't work in mma because it's all just turtle attacks, tried to say american wrestling sucks because bjj dominates the ground game and freestyle dominates the stand up. Said america sucks because "all we have is American nerfed muay thai, folkstyle wrestling, and strip mall bjj"

I think it's clear that he has some sort of a fetish for hating on americans in mma. He uses things that sound KINDA true and then ignoring the actual objective evidence behind it.

Shit blew up around the time the UFC and Pride merged. There was as much star power per event as there is in the entire UFC currently. All the stars aligned, but it isn’t sustainable. There is never more than a small handful of boxers known to the public, domestically at least, and I suspect MMA will follow suit.

The UFC got some breathing room when they merged with S-force too. That was a serious talent watershed.

The UFC got some breathing room when they merged with S-force too. That was a serious talent watershed.
Absolutely. Also, It’s just plain harder to build stars when the talent gap isnt wide. Till was another fighter that was going to be someone....build it up after a big win and hope he is the one. 15 years ago there were pools of talent that were years past the rest of the world, and now everyone from everywhrre is good so there aren’t 10 dominant sellable guys out there.

The biggest final problem is the promotional contracts these Fighters have to sign that obligates them do a particular organization

The fact that we never saw Fedor vs Cormier is a great example.

those of us that have been around boxing for the last 20 years have always understood this.

MMA is still a baby sport growing up and learning how to walk

..it should look at its older fathers like boxing and kickboxing to realize the pitfalls before it Goes down the fake wrestling hero worship rabbit hole

You reminds me of the Pride fans that thought those figthers would be dominant champions here

If you pick and choose who gets in you'll never know who would have been the dominant fighter...

Ignore him he's a troll, he tried to say on a seperate threat that folkstyle doesn't work in mma because it's all just turtle attacks, tried to say american wrestling sucks because bjj dominates the ground game and freestyle dominates the stand up. Said america sucks because "all we have is American nerfed muay thai, folkstyle wrestling, and strip mall bjj"

I think it's clear that he has some sort of a fetish for hating on americans in mma. He uses things that sound KINDA true and then ignoring the actual objective evidence behind it.

Actually I said Freestyle Wrestling was marginally more effective in MMA

the fact that we don't practice it in America is a shame because I want Americans to do better in MMA

I have posted a lot of very true numbers on this thread to factually assert that Americans are falling behind in MMA

If you don't want to have to count or do math just watch the last two UFC events.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_Lewis_vs._dos_Santos

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_235

The USA only won 1 international match across BOTH EVENTS PLUS LOST THE WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

And although usmman is a trained folk style wrestling all African boys grow up doing indigenous wrestling which is much more like Freestyle.

When I was a kid in South Africa we wrestled everyday

Last edited:
Actually I said Freestyle Wrestling was marginally more effective in MMA

the fact that we don't practice it in America is a shame because I want Americans to do better in MMA

I have posted a lot of very true numbers on this thread to factually assert that Americans are falling behind in MMA

If you don't want to have to count or do math just watch the last two UFC events.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_Lewis_vs._dos_Santos

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_235

The USA only won 1 international match across BOTH EVENTS PLUS LOST THE WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

And although usmman is a trained folk style wrestling all African boys grow up doing indigenous wrestling which is much more like Freestyle.

When I was a kid in South Africa we wrestled everyday

How about you actually read my comment this time huh? Address my individual points or I'm blocking you and not responding

"Actually I said Freestyle Wrestling was marginally more effective in MMA"

No you didn't. You said freestyle is better because americans arent good in the olympics. You said "if folkstyle riding was better americans would just pin in freestyle" which is stupid in its own right.

"the fact that we don't practice it in America is a shame because I want Americans to do better in MMA"

But who EVER said that would improve Americans ability to fight in mma?

"I have posted a lot of very true numbers on this thread to factually assert that Americans are falling behind in MMA"

All you did was claim 54% of UFC fighters weren't American... Which also meant that there were more Americans than any other nationality

"If you don't want to have to count or do math just watch the last two UFC events.

And although usmman is a trained folk style wrestling all African boys grow up doing indigenous wrestling which is much more like Freestyle."

As for UFC 235 the only non american on the main card or prelim card that beat an american was when the american was NOT a wrestler. The only exception was Jeremy stephens losing to zabit and Jeremy was outstruck, not just that but Zabit is a Sanda master not just a freestyle wrestler. Jeremy was never even a wrestling master, he never competed at the higher levels of wrestling he went straight into mma and developed himself as a puncher. In other words, no american wrestlers lost to non americans.

Regarding Usman that's just WRONG and a LIE. Kamaru Usman grew up in the United States since he was 8, do you honestly think Kamaru Usman's wrestling in nigeria had any impact on his wrestling in America? Not just that but I see NO proof of that because according to wikipedia Kamaru Usman only started wrestling in America his sophomore year. If he actually wrestled his whole like he would have immediately done wrestling in America. Usman's ONLY wrestling training is in folkstyle and he beat a Tyron Woodley who was highly arrogant, focusing on releasing MUSIC rather than the fight, and hasn't had to wrestle in any of his most recent fights.

Kamaru Usman beat Tyron woodley at his worst, and kamaru usman isn't even a freestyle wrestler and as far as I can tell NEVER trained in nigerian wrestling. So once again, you're wrong and a liar

In regards to the recent ufc fight night, I don't think any of the fighters that weren't americans came from freestyle. So once again, that doesn't speak anything for how freestyle would be more effective

You're a liar and I do not respect liars.

How about you actually read my comment this time huh? Address my individual points or I'm blocking you and not responding

"Actually I said Freestyle Wrestling was marginally more effective in MMA"

No you didn't. You said freestyle is better because americans arent good in the olympics. You said "if folkstyle riding was better americans would just pin in freestyle" which is stupid in its own right.

"the fact that we don't practice it in America is a shame because I want Americans to do better in MMA"

But who EVER said that would improve Americans ability to fight in mma?

"I have posted a lot of very true numbers on this thread to factually assert that Americans are falling behind in MMA"

All you did was claim 54% of UFC fighters weren't American... Which also meant that there were more Americans than any other nationality

"If you don't want to have to count or do math just watch the last two UFC events.

And although usmman is a trained folk style wrestling all African boys grow up doing indigenous wrestling which is much more like Freestyle."

As for UFC 235 the only non american on the main card or prelim card that beat an american was when the american was NOT a wrestler. The only exception was Jeremy stephens losing to zabit and Jeremy was outstruck, not just that but Zabit is a Sanda master not just a freestyle wrestler. Jeremy was never even a wrestling master, he never competed at the higher levels of wrestling he went straight into mma and developed himself as a puncher. In other words, no american wrestlers lost to non americans.

Regarding Usman that's just WRONG and a LIE. Kamaru Usman grew up in the United States since he was 8, do you honestly think Kamaru Usman's wrestling in nigeria had any impact on his wrestling in America? Not just that but I see NO proof of that because according to wikipedia Kamaru Usman only started wrestling in America his sophomore year. If he actually wrestled his whole like he would have immediately done wrestling in America. Usman's ONLY wrestling training is in folkstyle and he beat a Tyron Woodley who was highly arrogant, focusing on releasing MUSIC rather than the fight, and hasn't had to wrestle in any of his most recent fights.

Kamaru Usman beat Tyron woodley at his worst, and kamaru usman isn't even a freestyle wrestler and as far as I can tell NEVER trained in nigerian wrestling. So once again, you're wrong and a liar

In regards to the recent ufc fight night, I don't think any of the fighters that weren't americans came from freestyle. So once again, that doesn't speak anything for how freestyle would be more effective

You're a liar and I do not respect liars.

I think you're a bit over invested in this debate

just because somebody is cross-trained it doesn't mean they're not from a particular primary Style...khabib and zabit ARE freestyle wrestlers.

I know the statistics bother you it's just the mathematical facts we have to deal with

just ask yourself why other countries BEAT us in combat sports and the UFC

Usman is a technically.

Nigerians have a lot of respect for wrestling (unlike the usa) and I would be supprised if he wasent involved in wrestling as a kid (but I never claimed I knew that he was)

the main point of my argument is culture and exposure are very powerful in the sports a culture excels in, Nigerians, the Soviet bloc and middle eastern countries all love and respect the combat sports and primarily wrestling.

It's this CULTURE that breeds great wrestlers not necessarily one person's particular exposure to the sport

Soft PC American culture where combat sports training costs So mutch and is often looked down on in employment and relationships is not respectful to combat sports.

Usman being born in Nigeria learned to respect combat athletics...
Had usman been born in the USA he would probably have played football

Just read this as usman himself explains how growing up in Nigeria made him want to fight and thus he took up wrestling and boxing
http://thenationonlineng.net/ufc-ch...growing-up-in-nigeria-pushed-me-to-greatness/

Last edited:
More bad news for american MMA...UFC 236: Holloway vs. Poirier 2

In international matches americans went 1 and 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_236

CONGRATS TO:
Ukraine
Brazil
Germany
New Zealand

Americans are falling behind in MMA

There was a million mma gyms when Chuck was knocking people out. They all went out of business and mma quickly faded out of pop culture in the US. There’s very few people who are even casual fans now, and nobody even knows who the champs are.
Because UFC is dying

America does great at the Olympics and has the worst (i.e. essentially non-existent) state support in the entire world. Soon-to-be Olympic gold medalists work in Starbuck's to afford a place to live so they can train their asses off to rep their country. And despite having to concern themselves with paying the bills, they still kill it (especially) at the Summer Olympics every 4 years.

So no, lack of state support has never held back Americans from athletic excellence.

This is sarcasm right? USA support athletes like no other country in the world

Totally TS, I mean we only have the belt 5 out of 7 men's weight classes right now....pfffff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back