Anyone else think Pettis has a legit chance to beat Tony?

it's a fight. and pettis is a legit fighter. So of course he has a chance.

But it is very unlikely.

Think Pettis has a far better chance over 3 rounds. Over 5 unless Tony's knee is still suspect I think Pettis has very little chance. Glad he's back at 155 though, he looked awful at 145 against Max. Pettis could conceivably get out of the blocks early against Tony and win round 1, then maybe scrape by with a decision, or any luck he lands an amazing kick and finishes him. Unfortunately though considering I'm a big Pettis fan, I think Tony takes it.

Tony's pace, length, and pressure will break him mentally even more so than physically.

He has a good chance only because Tony has nothing to gain from this fight. Hes already the top contender, but Conor jumped in line because of the payday. I repect that he's willing to fight, but any fight that doesn't cement him as the SOLE lw title holder is risky.

If pettis were to win,definitely by body kick tko or catching a triangle in a scramble

I do have a weird feeling about this one. Pettis does indeed match up well against Ferguson. Everything depends on which Anthony Pettis will show up.

We'll see. I'm pick Tony but there's worse match ups for Pettis. Though he has trouble with pressure fighters it's the ones that wrestle that give him most trouble. Tony has a wrestling background but he specializes in scrambles more so than your Khabibs and Alvarez' who will shoot and look to grind you against the fence or on the ground. Like I said I'm picking Tony but it could be worse for Pettis matchup wise

I got Pettis by ko or tko that’s just my opinion lol

The more I think about it the more I think that Pettis has a solid shot. My reasons being the following:
  • 3 rounds helps Pettis. Tony is definitely a guy that stays strong as the fight goes on. Pettis tends to fade.
  • Tony's quick turnaround from his injury. Who knows if he's 100%.
  • Tony is very hittable and can be slow to react. If Lando can make him chicken dance image a well placed kick from Pettis.

Pettis is around +250 right now. May lay down some cash when I go to Vegas next month at those odds.

jv4s9jtokoqz.gif

Can't clearly see, but that might be a hell of an eye poke.

I think Ferg will find a great strategy and win. Pettis game is pretty well known, so he should be able to find a way to victory, IMO.

I never count out anyone with the skill level of Pettis. He's also riding some confidence coming off his recent win at UFC 226.

Tony can be wild and unpredictable, that's why we love him, but that leaves a lot of openings for crazy shit to happen.

nah cant see it.

Tony has defeated a far better kicker in Barbosa. imo the only person that poses a challenge to a healthy Ferguson is Khabib.
I reckon he would last on the bottom against Khabib too, probs lose by decision to him.

Yeah he does.

But only because Tony is coming from a surgery, and there is no way he's going to be at 100%. People tend to forget that.

I'd argue he's gotten even better in the last while.
well the two subs you mentioned aren't even his best. He was subbing black belts who never been subbed before. Gilbert Melendez and Benson Henderson.

Maybe. Ferguson has 1 win in the past 2 years iirc. And it was against a Staph infected Lee. I don’t know why he’s still rated so high. Pettis has been active, and matches up well against Tony.

The problem for Pettis is going to be, on the feet, of Tony gets the clinch, I can see him hurting Pettis with elbows.

But Tony is there to be hit. And Pettis has very creative striking. So I don’t see this fight as a gimme for Tony.

Dont get me wrong, Tony is an absolute savage and easily deserving of the title of #1 lightweight in the world. But as entertaining as his wild unorthodox style is, it leads to him taking alot of damage in some of his fights and getting dropped a decent amount.

He makes up for it with insane recovery and pace, but at 34 he is i believe one of if not the oldest of the current top 10 lightweights. Add on top of all that his major injury recently, and i think his time at the top is sadly coming to an end sooner than later.

Call me crazy but I think Pettis has a solid chance of catching him on the feet and finishing him by TKO or a sub while Tony is still dazed.

Pettis has proven DEADLY in a scramble with submissions... He also has KO power in his feet.

I think Pettis is the rightful and large underdog... But Yes... I would not be surprised at all if he got a fast tap submission in a scramble or KO via Spinny Shit

Back