Anyone else think Pettis has a legit chance to beat Tony?

He looked good in his last fight, I think if he shows up ... he will win

Anthony is a world beater when he shows up
His fight against Do Bronx was very competitive and Chiesa is overrated. He hasn't been the same since Usada. Not enough physicality for the LW division. Getting a sub off your back in MMA isn't a world beating move. He was never a world-beater, either. Sergio has like 3 more UFC wins than Anthony let's not get crazy.

Yeah I think Pettis does. Ferguson isn't a clinch & dirty box fighter, or an aggressive & technical boxer like Holloway. I think those are 2 of the styles that Pettis has struggled against lately. Although Ferguson likes to move forward & pressure opponents he's not a really sharp boxer. Pettis might be able to land a good counterpunch on him. Also, I think they are pretty even in terms of submission skills on the ground. I don't think that this match will be won by a submission.

I don't see it happening. I hope he does though Ferguson needs to go away
Strangely enough, UFC thinks the same. Neither Conor nor Khabib had to fight so much to earn title shot. UFC is/was doing everything they can to delay / prevent Tony's title shot. I hope he proves them wrong tho.

Can't clearly see, but that might be a hell of an eye poke.
Damn, I didn’t realize Tony was pointing at his eye until you said that. It looks like a punch, but if it was an eye poke, then that shit was rocketed into his skull. Surprised Lee didn’t take his eye with him.

Possible it was just a punch that landed on the eye, that shit happens too. Didn’t look deliberate either way.

Tony v. Lee was a lot of fun while it lasted.

Pettis has proven DEADLY in a scramble with submissions... He also has KO power in his feet.

I think Pettis is the rightful and large underdog... But Yes... I would not be surprised at all if he got a fast tap submission in a scramble or KO via Spinny Shit
I actually agree with TS making this thread because Ferg is getting set-up to fall here. UFC would love a Conor Pettis matchup if they can string this guy some wins, maybe just Tony if it's impressive, then fights Conor. Conor (I would assume) wants that fight and would sign that bout agreement and take his 20 mil no problems. I would not bet on Ferg in this fight. But Pettis isn't physical enough to be a world-beater because instead of wrestling and boxing he has a finesse TKD and BJJ game, which I actually love. His guard is absolutely sick and horribly underrated, he's well rounded and dynamic. When has he ever demonstrated KO power? Does he own a one punch KO. I'm too lazy to check the record but I'll say no. If he's a heavy dog he is worth a bet right now.

Ofcourse he can win, his last fight really showed he's gone back to his roots, everything about his movement, striking and grappling looked great, I believe this will be a close fight personally.

I think Pettis has a really good chance of defeating Tony .. I got a feeling that Tony’s pride is gonna get the best of him by wanting to stand with Pettis .. Tony doesn’t have the best striking defense.

Yep - if he fights like he did against that Cheisnea guy (how ever the hell you spell his name)

WEC early UFC Pettis rips tony up.

Lando put him on skates.

Very possible Pettis wrecks him.

Pettis is gonna get destroyed man, come on!! his main problem has been and still is, his lack of heart. He gives up if things are not going his way. The only way you have a chance against Tony is, besides having the skills everywhere of course, is to be able to keep Tony's pace while keeping your cool at the same time, the fucking guy just wont stop hitting you with all kind of shit. Just few guys in the world can do that vs Ferguson in the LW division..
You've never seen Pettis fight.

Both Benson fights he showed heart.
The Melendez fight he showed heart.
The RDA fight even though he lost her still showed a ton of heart.
Against Da Bronx he showed heart.

WTF are you talking about?

Did you see the Porier fight? Fought a savage fight until his rib popped.

You've never seen Pettis fight.

Both Benson fights he showed heart.
The Melendez fight he showed heart.
The RDA fight even though he lost her still showed a ton of heart.
Against Da Bronx he showed heart.

WTF are you talking about?

Did you see the Porier fight? Fought a savage fight until his rib popped.

Huh? what the fuck you are talking about kid? I had already a decade watching this stuff while you were still in elementary...shit, Anyways, just wait for the fight son and you will understand what the fuck Im talking about.

Huh? what the fuck you are talking about kid? I had already a decade watching this stuff while you were still in elementary...shit, Anyways, just wait for the fight son and you will understand what the fuck Im talking about.
Too old to be talking shit over the internet trying to son people you don't know from a can of paint.

Anyway. One thing Pettis has is heart. What he doesn't have is decent defensive wrestling.

Dude fought 4 and a half rounds with a broken orbital against RDA but he doesn't have heart. Never gave up against Charles despite being throughly dominated and when Charles made one mistake Pettis made him tap.

How is he back and fighting Pettis in October, didn't this knee shit all happen in like April.. What the fuck is that kind of recovery even possible? Guy needs to start calling himself Wolverine.

His chances are dependent on how depleted Tony is after his injury. Really seems like Tony is coming back too soon just to be on this card. Can't imagine he has full strength in his leg this quickly.

No way in hell he does , especially at 34. I had carpal tunnel surgery about a year ago , which consist of slicing a tiny little tendon in the hand / wrisr and it took every bit of 6 months to get back to what I'd call normal. Can't imagine that a much more invasive and larger scale operation like putting a knee back together wouldn't take much longer to recover from.

Back