Anyone else think Pettis has a legit chance to beat Tony?

Actually yeah, and for the same reasons ts. His unorthodox style leaves him open against anyone, as seen in the Lando Vanatta fight. Tony is at home in the chaos and usually comes out the other side, much like Justin Gaethje. Also much like Justin Gaethje, Tony gets tagged, A lot. Should be a dope fight but not exactly what I was thinking for a return fight if you're a Cucuy fan. Regardless, us the fans win.

I suddenly have a nearly overwhelming desire to see Ferguson versus Gaethje. What a crazy war that would be for as long as it lasted.

No I don't. I am very confident Tony will win. Pettis is too beatable and his striking is not good enough, yup I said striking, not wrestling defence. Sure his kicks are good, he has very good kicks, but he doesn't have good hands, his punches have no power and are slow. he is too limited I think for a guy like Tony.

His chances are dependent on how depleted Tony is after his injury. Really seems like Tony is coming back too soon just to be on this card. Can't imagine he has full strength in his leg this quickly.

I have money on Pettis already so I hope he has a legit chance.

Dont get me wrong, Tony is an absolute savage and easily deserving of the title of #1 lightweight in the world. But as entertaining as his wild unorthodox style is, it leads to him taking alot of damage in some of his fights and getting dropped a decent amount.

He makes up for it with insane recovery and pace, but at 34 he is i believe one of if not the oldest of the current top 10 lightweights. Add on top of all that his major injury recently, and i think his time at the top is sadly coming to an end sooner than later.

Call me crazy but I think Pettis has a solid chance of catching him on the feet and finishing him by TKO or a sub while Tony is still dazed.
Pettis hate someone who moves forward and don't give him space.
Tony loves to move forward and not give his opponent space.

This is tailor made for Tony IMO.

Are people really talking themselves into a Pettis win? I mean, it could happen, sure but I think it's pretty unlikely unless the injury fundamentally changed Tony - which I doubt.

IF Pettis wins it's going to be one of those he was losing until he wins moments. With either a sub or TKO out of nowhere. But I got Tony winning by decision..

Pettis hate someone who moves forward and don't give him space.
Tony loves to move forward and not give his opponent space.

This is tailor made for Tony IMO.
Its not tailor made for Tony, because Pettis has beaten his fair share of pressure fighters that love to move forward. It's not just a matter of pressure. Tony is wild as hell and Pettis is opportunistic against pressure fighters who make mistakes. Im picking Tony but i wouldn't be suprised at all if Pettis caught him.

Pettis at his best can be a tough fight for anyone at LW. The problem is, he often doesn't fight at his best. Not-his-best Pettis is pretty average and doesn't have much chance vs Tony

At-his-best Pettis would be a tough fight to call but I'd still favor Tony or Khabib over him

I'm calling for a 5th round KO win for TFerg via Showtime Kick

I still believe in Showtime and I’ll never count him out.

Its not tailor made for Tony, because Pettis has beaten his fair share of pressure fighters that love to move forward. It's not just a matter of pressure. Tony is wild as hell and Pettis is opportunistic against pressure fighters who make mistakes. Im picking Tony but i wouldn't be suprised at all if Pettis caught him.
well, anyone can get caught.
But Pettis needs someone who keeps their distance, and that's not Tony.

well, anyone can get caught.
But Pettis needs someone who keeps their distance, and that's not Tony.
No you act like pressure is Pettis only weakness. If you pressure him you need to be disciplined, Tony is wild as hell.

No you act like pressure is Pettis only weakness. If you pressure him you need to be disciplined, Tony is wild as hell.
not only, but AFAIK his main weakness.
Most of the people who beat him, beat him by staying on his face.

I never said it is easy, nor that anyone can do it.
I also never said it works every single time.

Only that my impression is that Pettis is most dangerous when you allow him to keep his distance.

And Tony might be wild, but that means unpredictable as well.
Yes, Pettis can exploit openings from it, but if Tony can walk though a few punches, he will have Pettis moving back and unable to mount most of his offense.

Dont get me wrong, Tony is an absolute savage and easily deserving of the title of #1 lightweight in the world. But as entertaining as his wild unorthodox style is, it leads to him taking alot of damage in some of his fights and getting dropped a decent amount.

He makes up for it with insane recovery and pace, but at 34 he is i believe one of if not the oldest of the current top 10 lightweights. Add on top of all that his major injury recently, and i think his time at the top is sadly coming to an end sooner than later.

Call me crazy but I think Pettis has a solid chance of catching him on the feet and finishing him by TKO or a sub while Tony is still dazed.
I had this discussion on a podcast I host just last night, and we put out the clip separate because we were supposed how adamant everyone seemed to be that Pettis had to chance. You can check it here:

I'm with you. I think he's got a shot. Ferguson is the favourite for sure, and rightly so, but to say Pettis has no shot is crazy. I think Pettis will like this match-up stylistically.

Pettis at his best can be a tough fight for anyone at LW. The problem is, he often doesn't fight at his best. Not-his-best Pettis is pretty average and doesn't have much chance vs Tony

At-his-best Pettis would be a tough fight to call but I'd still favor Tony or Khabib over him

I'm calling for a 5th round KO win for TFerg via Showtime Kick
It ain't 5 rounds sucka

Even though people are high on Pettis now it should be remembered that Chiesa has literally some of the worst stand-up in the division that's just there for him to get close to get people down. Fair fucks to Pettis for finally clipping a dude with his boxing, but where I think the fight is for him is in the ground because even there he IIRC out-manoeuvred Chiese starting from an unfavourable position ( although then again Kevin Lee did the same thing, so maybe it's just Chiesa that's not very good. )

On the feet I'm fairly certain Ferg would grind him down unless Pettis somehow learned boxing and dealing with pressure overnight despite not having been able to do so since he got flattened by RDA. On the ground it could be a fight.

Who are these pressure fighters who move forward that Pettis has beaten?

Back