Anyone else think Pettis has a legit chance to beat Tony?

Ferguson will be the rightful favorite, but we haven't seen him since he suffered a serious knee injury and he's coming back from that injury very quickly. Pettis isn't what he once was or even close to it, but he can still kick a motherfucker in the head with the best of them and he has a really underrated submission game too. No, it wouldn't be a shock if Pettis beat him.

When i see pettis now i see a looser.
When i see tony i see a mad man wiĺling to do anything to win, if he needs to accidentally headbut, eye gouge, fish hook caraway style etc he will do it. He has no quit in him, tony is a dog!

What is up with everyone saying Ferg needs to go? I am actually digging this man. Has an amazing resume, puts on an incredible pace, is funny as hell inside and outside of fighting. People have no sense of humor anymore or something.

Ferg is the man, my only worries is how that knee is doing from coming back. If that is all 100% like he claims, I see Pettis getting outpaced and potentially finished.

Dont get me wrong, Tony is an absolute savage and easily deserving of the title of #1 lightweight in the world. But as entertaining as his wild unorthodox style is, it leads to him taking alot of damage in some of his fights and getting dropped a decent amount.

He makes up for it with insane recovery and pace, but at 34 he is i believe one of if not the oldest of the current top 10 lightweights. Add on top of all that his major injury recently, and i think his time at the top is sadly coming to an end sooner than later.

Call me crazy but I think Pettis has a solid chance of catching him on the feet and finishing him by TKO or a sub while Tony is still dazed.
Show time can strangulate any man on any given day. Guy is crazy under rated on the ground, and with Tony’s propensity to go for wreckless takedowns, Pettis can really catch him in the chaos. Pettis is the master of taking advantage of undisciplined takedown aggression.

He also holds his own on the feet so it’s not a walk in the park for tony

Tony is one of the best possible matchups for Pettis as far as ranked contenders go.... but

If he is willing to follow a game plan he should be able to overwhelm Pettis with pressure and break him or dominate him ala RDA, Poirier, Max or even Clay Guida.

If Tony is dumb and decides to fight Pettis at range or take stupid risks on the ground then he could let Pettis in the fight or get caught. Pettis is an incredibly gifted finisher, but he is also a major front runner, once a guy starts putting pressure on him or puts him on his back and stays in advantageous positions Pettis wilts*.

(*Which I say as a huge fan who has begged many a tv screen for Pettis to work his way off a fence or to try to sweep or wall walk...)

I'm favoring Anthony in this one

oDfykGg.jpg

Do I think Pettis can win? Yes. Do I think Pettis will win? No. Do I hope Pettis wins? Yes.

I think Pettis has a good chance in this fight, both fighters have similar styles and strengths and I think it could go either way, should be a good fight.

A healthy Kevin Lee could be interesting. When healthy his gas tank is a lot better than he showed against Ferguson with a visible staph infection.

hard to argue..we'll see I still think Ferguson is the better wrestler, better Bjj game, better hands, better cardio. Pettis is the superior kicker and like you said has submitted some top shelf submission grapplers like Bendo so maybe.

That said I like pettis he came off very c0cky at first and I think he's ran into a lot of guys that were on some kind of PED and pettis clearly isn't so if he got a win I wouldn't player hate.

I don't like Tony.

In my opinion he is a mental midget...a retard of sorts. A boob. A doofus. A knob. He says and does dumb stuff for attention. But it's not "good" stuff.

Pettis has some serious tools. This is going to be a close fight.

He looked good in his last fight, I think if he shows up ... he will win

Anthony is a world beater when he shows up

Pettis' hands have improved and his bjj has become very dangerous, even against high level grapplers. Choked Chiesa and Oliveria out, plus we all know about his kicks.

He's game in this matchup.
"Has become dangerous" he's been submitting black belts for years.

So what I'm saying is: He has a chance. But, I would only money on Ferg. I think Ferg can win by KO, sub, or just plain outlasting Pettis. I can't think of many paths to victory for Pettis.

Jarl

Everyone is a live dog these days. I would say Pettis has no more than a 15 percent chance. I feel like this fight is almost a lock for Tony. Pettis just isnt what he used to be and Tony is another animal altogether. I wouldnt be all too suprised if Pettis won but I just dont see it.

Actually yeah, and for the same reasons ts. His unorthodox style leaves him open against anyone, as seen in the Lando Vanatta fight. Tony is at home in the chaos and usually comes out the other side, much like Justin Gaethje. Also much like Justin Gaethje, Tony gets tagged, A lot. Should be a dope fight but not exactly what I was thinking for a return fight if you're a Cucuy fan. Regardless, us the fans win.

Its actually crazy how little damage Kevin was able to do from this position.

He had Tony mounted and literally landed almost 0 clean punches on him.

Tony's defense from the bottom is nuts. Overall he's very dangerous/crafty from his back.

Dont get me wrong, Tony is an absolute savage and easily deserving of the title of #1 lightweight in the world. But as entertaining as his wild unorthodox style is, it leads to him taking alot of damage in some of his fights and getting dropped a decent amount.

He makes up for it with insane recovery and pace, but at 34 he is i believe one of if not the oldest of the current top 10 lightweights. Add on top of all that his major injury recently, and i think his time at the top is sadly coming to an end sooner than later.

Call me crazy but I think Pettis has a solid chance of catching him on the feet and finishing him by TKO or a sub while Tony is still dazed.

Nope. Pettis best days are behind him. It's funny to see him get a win or two and now his bandwagon jumpers are back on.. SMH.

Back