America's Top Killing Machine

armbarboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For the better part of a century, the machine most likely to kill an American has been the automobile.

Car crashes killed 33,561 people in 2012, the most recent year for which data is available, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Firearms killed 32,251 people in the United States in 2011, the most recent year for which the Centers for Disease Control has data.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/01/americas-top-killing-machine/384440/

4821d9657.png

How do you prefer to die?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also true that as the gun homicide rate has declined in the United States, suicides now account for the majority of gun deaths, according to Pew.

I think that if someone wants to kill themselves, then they should be able to. It would be more humane to offer medically assisted suicide, but until then people will go with what works.

Sweet.

In celebration I'll grab some more highcap magazines for my new Mac-11.

Sweet.

In celebration I'll grab some more highcap magazines for my new Mac-11.

Hi-cap mags? Just how many rounds do you need to off yourself..?

A link was posted

Well, colour me surprised.

Though to be fair, this includes:

1. Use of guns in crime.

2. Gun accidents.

3. Use of guns in self-defense.

Whereas almost all car deaths are road accidents.

Still, 30,000 gun deaths a year is pretty surprising.

Isn't it kind of dishonest to not seperate suicide, justifiable self defense and murders when talking about gun deaths?

Isn't it kind of dishonest to not seperate suicide, justifiable self defense and murders when talking about gun deaths?

Oh, shit, and suicide. I didn't even think about that.

Yeah, guns are the easiest way to kill yourself. Pretty instant death.

How many deaths CAUSED by bridges?

No one is saying that human effort isn't involved in these deaths. Humans drive cars and shoot guns.

But yes, guns, by themselves as inanimate objects, do not kill anyone. Neither do cars. Cars without drivers do not kill people.

Save, of course, for those weird instances where a car starts rolling down a hill or something.

Suicide is about half of them isn't it?

For the better part of a century, the machine most likely to kill an American has been the automobile.

Car crashes killed 33,561 people in 2012, the most recent year for which data is available, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Firearms killed 32,251 people in the United States in 2011, the most recent year for which the Centers for Disease Control has data.

Neither auto related deaths nor firearms come even close to the number of deaths from Medical Malpractice/negligence.

In 2010, the Office of Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services said that bad hospital care contributed to the deaths of 180,000 patients in Medicare alone in a given year.

Now comes a study in the current issue of the Journal of Patient Safety that says the numbers may be much higher — between 210,000 and 440,000 patients each year who go to the hospital for care suffer some type of preventable harm that contributes to their death.

There are those who argue that the older figure of 98,000 deaths from Medical malpractice is more true but even if one was to accept this, it is still more than deaths from auto+firearms combined.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...ny-die-from-medical-mistakes-in-u-s-hospitals

We all know cars are dangerous to humans and environmental killers. What's the point here?

We all know cars are dangerous to humans and environmental killers. What's the point here?

Cars have a purpose besides killing and are absolutely essential to the economy. Never understood this counterargument at all.

Don't give a fuck if someone wants to off themselves. Not one single fuck. Do it. Too many people on this planet anyways.

But don't blame guns.

As if we start looking and the gun in the closet and think - shit, I think I am gonna kill myself. And then blame the gun. nah nah nah. Guns don't cause people to kill themselves and how they do it doesn't matter to me one bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back