America's Top Killing Machine

I think that if someone wants to kill themselves, then they should be able to. It would be more humane to offer medically assisted suicide, but until then people will go with what works.

It would be more humane to give them counseling and someone to listen to so they don't feel like killing themselves.

Last edited:
Well... you have halved your per capita road fatalities since 1980, although it's still more than double most first world nations.
On the other hand you have about 10 times more firearm fatalities compared to most first world nations. Admittedly you do own at least double (compared to Switzerland), and typically more like 6-7 times, the number of guns per capita compared to most first world nations.
Just looking at homicides, you managed to halve firearm homicides from 1993 to 2010.
Although that's still 10-20 times most first world nations.
So... progress is being made I guess.

For the better part of a century, the machine most likely to kill an American has been the automobile.

Car crashes killed 33,561 people in 2012, the most recent year for which data is available, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Firearms killed 32,251 people in the United States in 2011, the most recent year for which the Centers for Disease Control has data.

But this year gun deaths are expected to surpass car deaths. That's according to a Center for American Progress report, which cites CDC data that shows guns will kill more Americans under 25 than cars in 2015. Already more than a quarter of the teenagers

Cars have a purpose besides killing and are absolutely essential to the economy.

Same with guns. Plus (outside of concerns over lead) they don't destroy the environment like motor vehicles. It's ok to not like guns, just don't pretend there aren't things out there doing more damage and killing more people. Your whole argument will eventually boil down to you getting more personal use from a car so you'll overlook all the negatives that you'll play up with guns. I doubt you'll be advocating that cars only be operated by professionals. :)

i'm so glad that i'm no longer a daily driver. i don't need that stress in my life.

It would be more humane to give them counseling and someone to listen to so they don't feel like killing themselves.

What about people with terminal illnesses? I think people should be empowered to take control of their own life. If someone chooses to die, who is to say they are wrong?

There were 32,000 homicides by firearm in 2011? Source?

No. All deaths caused by gun, even including suicide. :rolleyes:

Anti-gun enthusiasts love citing the suicides because they bolster the numbers in their favor.

Cars are much more important to a society than guns.

If one magically disappeared it would make life much harder than if the other disappeared.

Well... you have halved your per capita road fatalities since 1980, although it's still more than double most first world nations.
On the other hand you have about 10 times more firearm fatalities compared to most first world nations. Admittedly you do own at least double (compared to Switzerland), and typically more like 6-7 times, the number of guns per capita compared to most first world nations.
Just looking at homicides, you managed to halve firearm homicides from 1993 to 2010.
Although that's still 10-20 times most first world nations.
So... progress is being made I guess.

[YT]HPekmA9tcvg[/YT]

Hah! That's great.

Back