Am I crazy for thinking Aspinall/Ankalaev are about to get screwed out of a TS?

There is zero justification for Aspinall not fighting for the belt next. Even if Jones retires he's automatically the champ. I can sort of understand the "deal that was made" with Jones and Stipe but once that is fulfilled there's no way in hell Aspinall isn't either fighting Jones for the undisputed title or is promoted to undisputed champ.

Aspinall is not. He is going to be the champion anyways and he is a big card seller in the UK. Ank might get screwed though because he can wrestle a little. He isn't popular and people want to see Alex flatline other strikers.

Dana already mentioned that Jones will more than likely fight Aspinall if jones is successful in his comeback bout against Stipe. Dana says he will get it done, so i feel it is unlikely to see Alex fight jones before Aspinall. The outcry would be too large even if Alex is a larger star than Aspinall.

The issue is if jones looks good from his long injury in the cage, he will probably fight Aspinall, if he looks like shit, he will probably retire. If Stipe wins it may be Stipe vs Aspinall or Stipe may retire.

They both already have been screwed out of title fights. Whether it continues is another question. What happens at HW may not even be clear after Jon v Stipe. If Dana can squeeze another fight out of Jon by giving him Alex and protecting him from Aspinall I think he will.
If Khamzat beats Rob I think he'll get the MW title shot at the Saudi PPV first half of next year but if Rob wins Alex may well get his wish and Strickland's rants will get insane.

You're more likely to see Alex fight Tom for the HW title than Jones.

Dana already mentioned that Jones will more than likely fight Aspinall if jones is successful in his comeback bout against Stipe. Dana says he will get it done, so i feel it is unlikely to see Alex fight jones before Aspinall. The outcry would be too large even if Alex is a larger star than Aspinall.

The issue is if jones looks good from his long injury in the cage, he will probably fight Aspinall, if he looks like shit, he will probably retire. If Stipe wins it may be Stipe vs Aspinall or Stipe may retire.

Dana says he thinks Jones would do it but that doesnt mean shit if Jon doesnt want to which nobody think he does. He's made money, he wants Stipe, if he wins that he retires.

Dana says he thinks Jones would do it but that doesnt mean shit if Jon doesnt want to which nobody think he does. He's made money, he wants Stipe, if he wins that he retires.
We do not know about that, Jones has yet to come back from the injury and assess his choices. Jones has been off and on about Aspinall. He even stated that he would whoop Aspinalls ass.

We will see what happens but the ball is in jones court and I think if he looks good after his injury, he will fight Aspinall. If not possibly retire and it is what it is.

Last edited:
There is zero justification for Aspinall not fighting for the belt next. Even if Jones retires he's automatically the champ. I can sort of understand the "deal that was made" with Jones and Stipe but once that is fulfilled there's no way in hell Aspinall isn't either fighting Jones for the undisputed title or is promoted to undisputed champ.

Money talks and as far as actually making the fight happen on the Jones side it’s very possible. He’s fighting a LHW who is stepping up to HW, it’s a bigger fight legacy wise for Jones and there is no real A side as there is a story on both sides.

Pretty much from all angles such as sales, making the fight happen and legacy it’s better for everyone involved except Tom Aspinall. Jones and Pereira are the two biggest names in the UFC right now and Dana clearly gives no fucks about Aspinall outside selling UK cards.

Seems like the writing is on the wall for Jones/Pereira fight at HW. Pereira going for a third title, Jones gets a true retirement fight to go out on and the UFC gets a marketable super fight as long as selling PPVs to casuals goes.

Unless things go horribly wrong in there upcoming fights I think it’s quite possible. Ankalaev is fighting Rakic, and literally no one outside of sherdog knows or cares about Tom Aspinall.
Its looking like its gonna be a year till Tom can fight for his rightful belt, I have no idea about Ankalaev. There is only so many other ranked guys left.

If the UFC announced Jones vs Pereira even less people would care about Aspinall, the only outcry would be on sherdog/reddit and it would go out with a whimper within a week.

I think it's more likely Jon retires after fighting Stipe and Alex vs Aspinall for the belt.

Giving Poatan a chance to become a double champ is too good to pass up for the UFC.

I think it's more likely Jon retires after fighting Stipe and Alex vs Aspinall for the belt.

Giving Poatan a chance to become a double champ is too good to pass up for the UFC.

I think it’s likely he retires to but the timing might be right and Jones is clearly at a money stage as far as fights go in his career, a fight with Poatan legacy and money wise might be too juicy to pass up. He will also be fighting a guy his age who is a very winnable fight on paper.

Poatan beats Jones and gets a belt in a third division he makes history, puts himself in GOAT territory and sets himself for life

Well that'll leave ankalaev for either an interim title shot, or a vacant title shot.
Not necessarily. They won't make Alex drop his LHW title. And I wouldn't be surprised if they made Ankalaev take yet another fight in the meantime (not an interim title). And after Alex gets besmirched by Aspinall, Alex would go back to 205, and the UFC would have another opportunity to bypass Ankalaev.

Ankalaev could very much get screwed still, Tom though? nah, he HAS to get a TS after Stipe, if not get promoted if Jon retires. I don't think the UFC can realistically continue to put off that fight if Jon defends and decides to stick around. Not to mention it seems as if the UFC and Dana doesn't have much interest in Alex fighting at HW until he exhausts all his options at LHW, so I don't see Jon Vs Alex happening anytime soon..

Anks management team screwed him out of a title shot by wasting a year with Walker fights.
Hardly a waste.
magomed-ankalaev-johnny-walker.gif

Seems like the writing is on the wall for Jones/Pereira fight at HW. Pereira going for a third title, Jones gets a true retirement fight to go out on and the UFC gets a marketable super fight as long as selling PPVs to casuals goes.

Unless things go horribly wrong in there upcoming fights I think it’s quite possible. Ankalaev is fighting Rakic, and literally no one outside of sherdog knows or cares about Tom Aspinall.
so your trying to tell me they booked jones vs aspinal first?
i thought they booked jones vs stipe first?
jones got injured thats why they gave aspinal a fake belt?

can you give me links stating jones vs aspinal was the original fight?
im confused ts

Ankalaev has signed to fight Pereira and Aspinall has signed to fight Jones?? I'm trying to figure out what those two guys are owed and how they're getting screwed.

Back