• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Alex Pereira on Anthony Smith: "Washed up vet who never amounted to anything"

All Smith said was that Pereira's physique wasn't super special at LHW like it was at MW, bad look for Pereira getting salty about something that's obviously true

Not just his physique, but also his performance against Jan.

Smith would get brutalized by Jan. Better to keep quiet if you have nothing nice to say. He keeps flinging these not-overtly-derogatory-but-still-negative comments about other fighters while trying to sound smart and it’s getting old. Perreira might have overreacted (shouldn’t have even graced it with a reply), but I guess it just didn’t sit well with him.
Also, Alex will fight for the belt next, a potential fight with Smith would serve no purpose and would probably be a mismatch at this point.

Anthony Smith says Jon Jones is well-coached, but beatable: 'He's not that good'
“Jon Jones is beatable – very beatable,” Smith told Morning Kombat. “He’s not that good – not individually. If you take his individual skill sets and you take them away, each one of those things are not a problem."

Yeah, if you take away both of Jon Jones legs Jones is probably beatable
I used to think you're just some parody account or something, propping up Jones.
Now I think you're seriously a disciple of the guy.
<{outtahere}>

And I agree with you on this one.

Anthony always seems to put a negative spin on fighter ability sprinkle in a compliment to appear as if it's a matter of fact then most of the time when it comes to himself makes excuses. He said he was a better grappler than Glover and didn't feel anything special when they fought (said that before they grappled) then Glover dominated him in the grappling too. At least after that he didn't mention it because he usually makes excuses. Said he was on his way to beat Ankalaev until the injury. Said that Jon Jones isn't great at anything he's just good at everything. There are plenty of fighters who are good at everything that never got close to a title.

he's full of shit about Jones not being great at anything. he has great kicks, great wrestling, and great setups.

Smith would get brutalized by Jan. Better to keep quiet if you have nothing nice to say. He keeps flinging these not-overtly-derogatory-but-still-negative comments about other fighters while trying to sound smart and it’s getting old. Perreira might have overreacted (shouldn’t have even graced it with a reply), but I guess it just didn’t sit well with him.
Also, Alex will fight for the belt next, a potential fight with Smith would serve no purpose and would probably be a mismatch at this point.

i don't know, i wouldn't be that surprised if Smith beat him with grappling.

I used to think you're just some parody account or something, propping up Jones.
Now I think you're seriously a disciple of the guy.
<{outtahere}>

And I agree with you on this one.
Haha, I have been a disciple and hardcore fan of Jones for over a decade

Mostly what I see out of Anthony Smith is him proclaiming he's wrong after someone he talked shit about actually won their fight

I wonder if Alex saw something out of context that we missed before he started talking.

I heard Alex and thought Antony went off on him, Alex went for the throat, jesus. Then I heard Antony's comment and I'm thinking something was mistranslated to Alex. Kind of uncalled for. Mean and true trash talk, he's a serious dude.

I wonder if Alex saw something out of context that we missed before he started talking.
I don't have any clips but Anthony and Bisping were ripping into Pereira pretty hard after the Jan fight on their podcast so I think he's caught wind of that.

Anthony always seems to put a negative spin on fighter ability sprinkle in a compliment to appear as if it's a matter of fact then most of the time when it comes to himself makes excuses. He said he was a better grappler than Glover and didn't feel anything special when they fought (said that before they grappled) then Glover dominated him in the grappling too. At least after that he didn't mention it because he usually makes excuses. Said he was on his way to beat Ankalaev until the injury. Said that Jon Jones isn't great at anything he's just good at everything. There are plenty of fighters who are good at everything that never got close to a title.
That's exactly what he always does. Gets outgrappled, reporter asks him if he was expecting his opponents grappling to be this good and Smith says 3 yr old daughter has better grappling and he would've won in normal circumstances. Dude alwayd talks sh** abot everyone and downplays everyone's skills despite him being a mediocre bum in everything...

I don't have any clips but Anthony and Bisping were ripping into Pereira pretty hard after the Jan fight on their podcast so I think he's caught wind of that.
Bisping wasn't, but Anthony was. Anthony was even ripping into Jan.

Don't particularly like Smith, but what did he say that was wrong or even derogatory? He just said Alex's skill is what makes him difficult at LHW and not a huge size advantage like he had at MW. That sounds right, am I missing something?

<{vega}>

Smith has never been knocked out dead like Pereira, and anyone who has been KO that bad is liable to get KO again. Dude has a glass chin. Guys should blitz him with those small gloves, he won't be able to take it and I believe Anthony Smith could do it.

Smith stated a fact
Pereira's size at MW doesn't seem much at LHW
That's it!
It's not trash talk.
Also, Pereira is pretty lucky MW si LHW lack top wrestlers right now.

Although I disagree with Smith here, what he wanted to say is that Jones doesn't excel in one of the four: boxing, kicking, bjj, wrestling.
Like Silva in striking, or Khabib in wrestling, for example.

Standup
a) His boxing is somewhat decent, but not that good...
b) Good kicks.
Lost to Gus, Santos & Reyes on the feet

Ground game
a) Not the best BJJ... he is not Maia.
b) wrestling - I disagree with Smith here ... he seems to have great wrestling for MMA.

But good cardio + great chin + great fight IQ + that huge reach difference + like Smith said, he is very well-coached

Funny how Smith is very often caught in a trash talking statement but then there's always people defending his words claiming he meant nothing wrong. Funny how the Smith perception works.

Funny how Smith is very often caught in a trash talking statement but then there's always people defending his words claiming he meant nothing wrong. Funny how the Smith perception works.

He said Pereira looked good in that fight.
He said Jan also looked good.
He said that hopefully for him Pereira realized he is not the scary monster he was at MW and that he looks like a normal dude at LHW.
He said Pereira is very technical and has a great striking game, so that makes him special.
But in terms of size and power he doesn't stand out that much among LHWs.

Yeah, great trash talk from him!

Seriously, all he said was true.
Pereira was huge for MW, but just big at LHW, same as Rakic, Jiri, Jan & others.
Smith praised his striking.
He just said that his power and size are not that special at LHW.
Which is true.
Jiri has power.
Hill has power.
Ank has power.
Jan has power.

Again, wow, what a trash talk! Saying that a guy is very technical and has great striking.
Top trash talk, among Chael, Askren, Cruz, Bisping, Conor.

Pereira is just just in a good spot right now. Jiri, Hll, Rakic are injured or coming from a big injury. Jan is 40. Ank is hated by UFC.

Back