Aldo, Werdum, RDA, Rockhold and Lawler lost their belts in the first round by KO. Fluke or not?

If your asking who I would pick in a rematch...

Stipe/Werdum - 70/30
Woodley/Lawler - 50/50
Alvarez/RDA - 40/60
McGregor/Aldo - 40/60
Bisping/Rockhold - 30/70

It's because MMA fighters have glass chins. Show me any moment in boxing history when 5 boxing champs were knocked out in the 1st round in the period of 6 months. They don't know how to defend punches to save their ass and when the punches land they have no chins. These guys are not like boxers.

Bisping was fighting a good (also short) fight. I think Rockhold would still be the favorite in a rematch but I wouldn't call that a fluke.

Only GSP-Serra 1 was a fluke.

To be fair not even that was a fluke
Go rewatch the fight

Serra searched that opening the whole fight, that chance to get close and drop heavy punches
He even used body shots on GSP's left side of ribcage to push him lower his hands

Serra had a gameplan and executed it well

Then we can fantasy GSP will win next 9 or 99

But that night he won fair and square

Each one of those fighters simply lost to the fighters who were better than them on that particular night. For example, I believe Aldo is a much better fighter than Conor, generally speaking. However, Conor was a better fighter than Aldo on that particular night and the rest is irrelevant.

That's all that really matters. It's not about who the best fighter is overall, but who is the better fighter that particular night. What happens in the cage on fight night is the be all and end all, until you go back in there with the next opponent.

RDA and Lawler got caught.
Werdum and Aldo fought stupid.
Rockhold fought cocky and has a glass chin.

Pretty good assessment. However, T-wood did something to set up the shot on Lawler, in theory/hindsight/monday morning analysis he could have prevented it.

With RDA, he was fighting great & he got caught with a shot. I could see nothing he could have done differently to prevent that shot from landing.

Maybe there is a striking coach that could breakdown any mistake RDA made, but I thought...what could he have possibly done, besides having faster reflexes or a granite chin.

All of them would still be very dangerous to the champs now, which is why the champs are trying to cherry pick matches. (Except miocic, he will fight anyone)

It's because MMA fighters have glass chins. Show me any moment in boxing history when 5 boxing champs were knocked out in the 1st round in the period of 6 months. They don't know how to defend punches to save their ass and when the punches land they have no chins. These guys are not like boxers.

They do? I wonder if Mayweathers(or any pure boxer) defenses would be as good, if he had to worry about 1/10th of what happens in Vale Tudo.

It's like comparing knife-fighting to Medieval Warfare(Swords, Maces, Clubs, Spears, Crossbows, Lances, Daggers, Longbows, Halberds, Axes, Shields, Flails etc). You could be a demon w/ a knife, but you will be chewed up in an actual Battle.

They do? I wonder if Mayweathers(or any pure boxer) defenses would be as good, if he had to worry about 1/10th of what happens in Vale Tudo..

It goes both ways. Vale Tudo fighters don't need to worry about 1/10th of what happens at the elite level of boxing. The boxers Mayweather fought have more variation in their jab than MMA fighters have in their entire punching arsenal. They have so many tricks and so many ways to set up their attacks, it's laughable to think that defending against "only boxing" when you're fighting Pacquiao or Cotto is easier than defending against sloppy basic boxing with some elbows and kicks + takedown threat when fighting in MMA. Also, you can't panic wrestle and you have to be durable enough to survive 10-12 rounds.

They're both equally difficult but the way that some of those MMA guys go to sleep makes me think that there's definitely some glass chin epidemic in the UFC.

If Rockhold and Bisping fight 100 more times, Luke wins 99 of them easily. That result was so shocking to me, and I think even to Michael. Bisping will avoid a rematch for as long as possible.

One thing is sure, if anyone could predict this and put 100 bucks on a parlay of all of them losing by KO in the first he would probably be as rich as Conor by now !

No flukes, just wins and losses. And draws but those are practically non existent in MMA anyway.

Werdum and Lawler have he smallest chance of getting the belt back, IMO

Think the only 'fluke' was that it all happen in the same year...

Not a single one of them were flukes.

Back