Aldo, Werdum, RDA, Rockhold and Lawler lost their belts in the first round by KO. Fluke or not?

It goes both ways. Vale Tudo fighters don't need to worry about 1/10th of what happens at the elite level of boxing. The boxers Mayweather fought have more variation in their jab than MMA fighters have in their entire punching arsenal. They have so many tricks and so many ways to set up their attacks, it's laughable to think that defending against "only boxing" when you're fighting Pacquiao or Cotto is easier than defending against sloppy basic boxing with some elbows and kicks + takedown threat when fighting in MMA. Also, you can't panic wrestle and you have to be durable enough to survive 10-12 rounds.

They're both equally difficult but the way that some of those MMA guys go to sleep makes me think that there's definitely some glass chin epidemic in the UFC.

I hear what your saying & I understand the striking level, especially in boxing, is way lower in the MMA than in...boxing. There are tricks & traps that boxers could set for MMA fighters in boxing, that very few could even mentally process, before falling for them.

That said, as many variations & ways to win & lose in boxing, there are orders of magnitude more in *Mixed* Martial Arts. Cassius Clay, many consider him the greatest boxer ever, didn't know how to deal w/ a butt-scooting pro-wrestler(Antonio Inoki). The rules were not made to favor one style or the other.

I agree that the level of athleticism & training to deal with Pacquiao's assaults are higher than any similar sized MMA fighter could deal w/ at boxing. But, I'm not expecting Manny to twist be able to defend the submissions of Marcelo Garcia, or even Shinya Aoki. That wouldn't be fair to him to say that.

The best way of solving this kind of disagreement is just having them both fight in a minimal rules environment, that don't favor any particular style....which is exactly what Vale Tudo is. Free Fight. You are free to box.

You would of thought Werdum learnt his lesson after getting murked by JDS.
That was before he became a good Muay Thai practicioner. After he knocked Hunt out and beat the crap out of Cain he tought he was Rico Verhoven or something.

I'll help you:

I covered that. Other than that the two gifs don't have anything in common.
That was before he became a good Muay Thai practicioner. After he knocked Hunt out and beat the crap out of Cain he tought he was Rico Verhoven or something.

Which is why it was perplexing to me that he would just charge at Stipe who's a very good , powerful boxer like an amateur.

Which is why it was perplexing to me that he would just charge at Stipe who's a very good , powerful boxer like an amateur.
I was sincerely expecting something like that. A crowded Arena da Baixada, All the Werdum troll faces, leading the biggest MMA card in brazilian history, coming from beating the crap out of the #2 heavyweight GOAT, being a Jiu Jitsu guy who knocked out a K1 champion... And fighting a guy who always is so freakingly undeserved underdog every time he fights... He was a victim of his own hype.

no flukes at all just great counters or shots

I want to clarify and be serious here.

A knockout that might happen once in a few hundred simulated fights is pretty much good luck....in the same way that putting all your chips on one number in roulette could potentially make you thousands in a single night.

A fluke is some off-the-wall circumstance that just so happens to work in the favor of one of the fighters (ie. blood or sweat from a previous fight makes a fighter slip and fall into a KO punch/kick; the lights go off in the building and one of the fighters finishes in the dark).

Of these, only the fluke I would take seriously as an excuse.

Good luck has elements of skill and intent. If he didn't throw it at all, he would have never even tried...and the circumstances would unfold as such...so.....

"Luck is the residue of design" — Branch Rickey

I was sincerely expecting something like that. A crowded Arena da Baixada, All the Werdum troll faces, leading the biggest MMA card in brazilian history, coming from beating the crap out of the #2 heavyweight GOAT, being a Jiu Jitsu guy who knocked out a K1 champion... And fighting a guy who always is so freakingly undeserved underdog every time he fights... He was a victim of his own hype.

Yes , exactly that .... very good point there man.

No but you responded to my post talking about Werdum could beat any hw in the world. Idgaf, the fight wasn't a fluke, not sure why you responded to my post .
There is a difference between a fluke and bad fight IQ. Werdum showed poor fight IQ. You can't say that Stipe beats him 10/10 times because that wasn't enough time to show me that he was truly better than Werdum. However if Werdum runs in with his hands down every tons then he will lose every time. You can't tell me that a fighter that got knocked out by Struve beats Werdum 100 percent of the time

bingo.gif

Shake and bake

Aldo and Werdum got reckless for different reasons (not saying their opponents wouldn't have beat them anyway, but they for sure could have performed much better), Rocksalt came in cocky and fought a much improved Bisping, Lawler fell for a great setup against an extremely dangerous opponent.

I'm sure there's some sort of connection that could be made, but that goes for many things.

Back