Adding Water To Scotch?

4037350490_668ef2b4b8.jpg

Drank a bottle of the 17 year old stuff a few years ago. Pretty smooth, great buzz/drunk.

I usually add whisky stones to my scotch unless its cask strength, the only exception is Yamazaki 18Yr (technically not a scotch but similar in taste)

my favorites are Laphroaig 18, Bruchladdich (sp?), and Laguvulin 16.

my "everyday" bang for buck scotch is the Glenfarclas 10yr though...40 bucks a bottle is hard to beat for a nice tasting scotch

and for those scotch lovers that havent tried it.... the Yamazaki 18yr is a MUST TRY if you can find it, if not order it online.

and for those scotch lovers that havent tried it.... the Yamazaki 18yr is a MUST TRY if you can find it, if not order it online.

Thanks for the recommend. I will give that a try next. I just finished a bottle of Hibiki 12yr and that was really,really good. Its a blended whisky but so much better then you expect.

Drank a bottle of the 17 year old stuff a few years ago. Pretty smooth, great buzz/drunk.

I like most of what Mcallan puts out. I tried another one last year that was exceptional but I can't remember which one. I'm going to ask my uncle because I was drinking it with him.

It was really oaky and noticeably more "spicy" than others I have tried.

My everyday scotch is Oban 14. Got it for my bday a few years ago and loved it.

Oban-14-Year.jpg

Thanks for the recommend. I will give that a try next. I just finished a bottle of Hibiki 12yr and that was really,really good. Its a blended whisky but so much better then you expect.

Good to see another Texan that loves a good scotch on here.

Only places I've found the Yamazaki 18yr is one local small liquor store, the bigger places Spec's etc only carry the 12yr (which is ok but not great) So you may have to resort to having them order it, or order it yourself online. I've never ordered liquor online so not sure how reliable that is.

Put loads of ice in it, but people who put water in need to get slapped. If it was meant to be watered down as shit, that's how they'd make it.

Put loads of ice in it, but people who put water in need to get slapped. If it was meant to be watered down as shit, that's how they'd make it.

you must drink your scotch REALLY fast.

A little water in the whisky takes the burn off. Little easier to sip. i like to drop one ice cube for each ounce, the more it melts the easier it is to drink.

lol, please stop if you are talking about single malt

when people say add water, the are talking about a a few drops. literally like 4 drops of water.

ice cubes? ftlog

Here is vid from Ralfy on water in scotch.

If yall ever want to buy a new whiskey and not sure. Check out his reviews on YT. He has over 300 and is pretty spot on how they taste, so you can get a good idea if you want to drop money that bottle or not. Also has a ton of education vid on Scotch too.

I have a 2 bottles of this at the moment.

Last edited:
A few drops of water, NEVER ice in Single Malt.

However I would never water down a scotch older than 18 years, I did once with a 30 year Highland Park and apparently I ruined it according to a pro so that's one I need to try again without adding the water drops...

This youtube account has some reat Vids, (http://www.youtube.com/user/SingleMaltTv/videos?view=0) the one below is a favourite of mine, I've been here and met this guy, great scotch too.

Last edited:
Gonna sip me some Kilchoman Sherry Cask tonight.

1230122044.jpg

and yes i added a few drops of water. Its a very young whisky and the water rounds it out better. But its a sherry monster for sure and I love the sherry finishes.

Back