Adding Water To Scotch?

Fixed it for you. Why the dubs?

Not all Scotches are made the same and neither are taste preferences.

I drink my Macallan 18 straight.
I add water to my Monkey Shoulder.
I drink Red Breast and Green Spot straight.
I like Bushmills on ice.

Bushmills definately requires some moderation imo. The other two are pot stilled single malts, so don't need any.

If I pour you a single malt and you try and add diet Pepsi to it, I will take pleasure in guttin' you boy.

If you have a nice whiskey or Scotch, A little water works.

Dont let people talk you into certain things. Try a straight method and a drop method and see what YOU like.

I personally like 1 small cube of ice in my 4 fingers. It just seems to brighten it up but thats just me. I use a nice drop in a two fingered pour. Drink it like you want. Who cares what people think?

This is pretty much verbatim what I was going to say.

Rule of thumb:

if it's a blended scotch, it's fine to add ice if you want

if it's a single malt, you're doing it a disservice to add ice.

Adding water basically displaces some of the fusel alcohols and oils that form the flavour. You'll notice it louches slightly (gets an oil on water appearance). This heightens the flavour, and cuts down on immediate alcohol burn which will numb your palate. If you're doing it, use cooled boiled water, it makes a huge difference over regular tap water. As for quantity, it's personal taste. I'd recommend not exceeding the measure of whisk(e)y in amount of water, preferably half.

Also, if it's over 45%abv, you'll want to add water.

But drink it what ever way you like the taste of. If you want to drink it topped up with decaf diet pepsi, go for it*

i am a big ice lover and drink black label with ice in it

but have macallan and tried that with ice and tasted terrible

tried with 4 drops of water and no water

tastes best room temp with no water (never had cask strength)

but i usually give up on it after a glass and drink some hoegaarden. don't think i will every be one a real scotch drinker (maybe if i had a nice cuban cigar i would and some vicodins would go good with that too)

i am a big ice lover and drink black label with ice in it

but have macallan and tried that with ice and tasted terrible

tried with 4 drops of water and no water

tastes best room temp with no water (never had cask strength)

but i usually give up on it after a glass and drink some hoegaarden. don't think i will every be one a real scotch drinker (maybe if i had a nice cuban cigar i would and some vicodins would go good with that too)

just reinforces the point- drink it whatever way you like it

I crack it sometimes but mostly I like it just neat. I don't notice a huge difference to be honest.

ahhh...never thought about what the j&b actually stood for......my dad used to drink it.

I like jameson and soda water, i bet it tastes just as good.

I consider putting water in your scotch or whiskey blasphemous.

I guess I'm a bit simpler than most.

I drink pretty much everything straight and enjoy it -no matter how much bite.

I guess I should branch out a bit at try some of these suggestions when it comes to Scotch eh?

I gotta question for you scotch drinkers. A buddy of mine told me to try Mcallum 18 or Blue Label. I was thinking of buying a bottle of the Mcallum but Blue label is on sale at Cosco for 138.00 which seems like a good deal. Anyone have a little review of either?

Jameson has the Irish whiskey taste. J&B has a scotch taste. I like both, but for different reasons.

You can tell the difference pretty strongly.

Irish whiskey, Scotch, Canadian whisky, and American whiskey all have different tastes.

Oh definitely. Canadian whisky is ok, American burboun is nice, Irish whiskey is great and Scotch is just mothers milk.

I gotta question for you scotch drinkers. A buddy of mine told me to try Mcallum 18 or Blue Label. I was thinking of buying a bottle of the Mcallum but Blue label is on sale at Cosco for 138.00 which seems like a good deal. Anyone have a little review of either?

Not familiar with Mcallum but Blue Lable is a blend. Very smooth but over rated in my opinion.

Vodka is for people not smart/superior/supreme/ enough for gin.

Gin is the greatest drink known to man.

However, scotch is quite decent. Lothraig is like drinking a God damn cigar, though.

I'd actually like to hear more about the method of using water. What does it do to the taste? Cut some of the excessive smokiness in the heavily peaty scotches?

Dude, gin is disgusting. Just drink rubbing alcohol, man.

Scotch and Bourbon are gooood. How many drinks did it take you guys to get used to the heavy flavor? Haha

Vodka is for people not smart/superior/supreme/ enough for gin.

Gin is the greatest drink known to man.

However, scotch is quite decent. Lothraig is like drinking a God damn cigar, though.

I'd actually like to hear more about the method of using water. What does it do to the taste? Cut some of the excessive smokiness in the heavily peaty scotches?

Slow clap.

Not enough of us gin drinkers. What's your preferred brand?

I prefer mine with a few ice cubes, to go along with a nice cigar. Take those after a full meal, while you sit peacefully and you will know what paradise will be like.

Slow clap.

Not enough of us gin drinkers. What's your preferred brand?

I agree.Not enough of us. Right now,my favorite is Blue Coat,made in my home state,but available nationwide. I really wanna try St. George's new line of gins, Terroir,Dry Rye, and Botanivore. I also really, really wanna get my hands on a bottle of this: http://www.artintheage.com/spirits-landing/sage/#
618_348_gins-next-of-kin.jpg

Jenever (Dutch style gin) is also a treat.

Back