Adding Water To Scotch?

jrbqmb.jpg

You are mistaking gin for vodka if you think it is rubbing alcohol. Vodka is literally rubbing alcohol - it has no flavour other than "alcohol".

Isopropyl alcohol is not literally ethanol.

I dont drink alcohol, anything that tastes awful the first time isnt meant to be consumed.

Fixed it for you. Why the dubs?

Not all Scotches are made the same and neither are taste preferences.

I drink my Macallan 18 straight.
I add water to my Monkey Shoulder.
I drink Red Breast and Green Spot straight.
I like Bushmills on ice.

A fine choice, and my personal favorite.:cool:

I only drink Whiskey at Hogmany, and would no more consider adding ice or water to it than I would wear anything under a Kilt.:eek:

I would never add water to a nice single malt.

for a blended scotch it doesn't do too much harm but I prefer ice.

A guy I know who knows more about whisky than I ever will encourages people to add some water, so I don't disparage it, but I really prefer it straight. I drink JD with ice, but that's about it.

Brb. Going to fetch me a glass.

Edit: The Lagavulin was god damned empty. When did that happen? Drinking Caol Ila, so it's not too bad.

A guy I know who knows more about whisky than I ever will encourages people to add some water, so I don't disparage it, but I really prefer it straight. I drink JD with ice, but that's about it.

Edit: The Lagavulin was god damned empty. When did that happen? Drinking Caol Ila, so it's not too bad.

Does your buddy that knows a lot about whiskey drink JD?

Does your buddy that knows a lot about whiskey drink JD?
Not to my knowledge, and it would greatly surprise me if he did.

When I start browsing the shelves at the bar looking for single malts late in the evening, I'm sometimes drunk. When I'm drunk, I sometimes realize that buying myself something really good would be like pearls before swine, and then I buy a JD on the rocks.

Or sometimes a Laphroaig. It's strong enough to just blast through the drunken stupor and reach my taste buds.

After reading this thread I just tried it out with a couple fingers of Auchentochen.

I gotta say, it does taste better. More smooth and flavourful as opposed to that nice burn (that I do enjoy).

I'm 4 fingers deep in this 18 year old right now and it is delicious dry

Yes, a good drink for real men. Only real men like gin. And good women. Real men and good women. It's the drink of Empire.

Humphrey Bogart's last words were "I shouldn't have switched to gin."

Not to my knowledge, and it would greatly surprise me if he did.

When I start browsing the shelves at the bar looking for single malts late in the evening, I'm sometimes drunk. When I'm drunk, I sometimes realize that buying myself something really good would be like pearls before swine, and hthen I buy a JD on the rocks.

Or sometimes a Laphroaig. It's strong enough to just blast through the drunken stupor and reach my taste buds.

Laphroaig is full of win in my book

You are mistaking gin for vodka if you think it is rubbing alcohol. Vodka is literally rubbing alcohol - it has no flavour other than "alcohol".

No way bro, vodka is actually good and enjoyable at times. Gin has too much of a burn and heavy taste... something overpowering and just not... delicious at all.

I love me some Caol Ila, just the right amount of peaty flavor.

No way bro, vodka is actually good and enjoyable at times. Gin has too much of a burn and heavy taste... something overpowering and just not... delicious at all.

Gin by itself isn't very enjoyable and I love gin.

However, Martinis, G&T's, and Gimlets (Basil Gimlet during the peak of the summer is a cure all) are all nice gin vehicles.
I prefer Boodles but Hendricks is bomb, too.

Back