Adding Water To Scotch?

You hear so much about drinking booze straight and neat, and you always see people busting out decanters to make a drink in tv/movies but I don't know people in real life that actually do it. I see the majority of people posting in this thread claim to, but that makes sense based on the thread. I drink my whiskey on ice sometimes but usually only if I'm drinking a beer at the same time. When you guys are drinking it straight are you only drinking one to enjoy the flavor or are you trying to get messed up? The only reason I ask is that a lot of people assume if you drink booze straight you are an alcoholic.

It's for the flavor. I rarely drink whiskey or scotch to get drunk.

I add water to my Cask strength whisky. Cask strength tend to be around 55+ ABV. So added water brings it down to around 40-45ABV. Albour A'dbuanh is around 59-60%. I will take a small sip straight and you can feel alot of heat from the high ABV. I will add 1tsp to 3oz pour and let it sit for 10min. It mellos down the heat and allow you start tasting the sherry finish better, that is cover by the burn without water.

Last edited:
I would say your first problem is drinking scotch.

don't use ice.. get yourself some whiskey stones if you want to chill your scotch..

a couple drops in cask strength scotch can "open it up"...

I add a drop or two of water both to my single-malt Scotch and to my bourbon - but no ice, never.

I only "mix" cheap scotch/bourbons/whiskeys (crap like J&B, Crown Royal, Jack Daniels) and I only put ice in blended scotch (like Johnnie Walker), but it's very rare that I drink any of that stuff anymore.

I usually go for reasonably priced yet good Scotches like The Macallan Fine Oak 10 Year Old and Aberlour 12 Year Old Speyside (around $30-$40 a bottle) and bourbons like Maker's 46, Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, Baker's, or occasionally Booker's.

Adding water basically displaces some of the fusel alcohols and oils that form the flavour. You'll notice it louches slightly (gets an oil on water appearance). This heightens the flavour, and cuts down on immediate alcohol burn which will numb your palate. If you're doing it, use cooled boiled water, it makes a huge difference over regular tap water. As for quantity, it's personal taste. I'd recommend not exceeding the measure of whisk(e)y in amount of water, preferably half.

So you're talking about adding quite a bit more than a few drops of water then right?

I have friends that fill their entire glass with ice then pour in a nice scotch. I shake my head. They think I'm crazy when I drink it straight, add an icecube, or put a little water in. Lately I've been prefering some water with it.

Lol water in scotch? Ron Burgundy would beat your ass if he saw you do that.

Never add anything to a good single malt. If you must be a complete pussbag, add a single ice cube to your blended swill. Fine scotch should only be imbibed either chilled or at room temperature in a chilled glass.

Personal preference on a case by case basis imo.

Some Scotches or even Irish Whiskey's work well with a little water.

I drink a lot of Irish Whiskey and sometimes I even do the unthinkable....add ice.

i found the one he made in the OT, thought there was a mayberry one as well

why would you huin it?

why would you ruin it?

Fixed it for you. Why the dubs?

Not all Scotches are made the same and neither are taste preferences.

I drink my Macallan 18 straight.
I add water to my Monkey Shoulder.
I drink Red Breast and Green Spot straight.
I like Bushmills on ice.

I prefer my scotch neat, no ice, no water. Currently drinking Ardberg or MacAllan in the office every friday after 5 and when I am home I am currently drinking a Glennfiddich 19 y.o.

Though I have to admit, I have had a bottle or two of higher end blended whiskey that tasted great chilled.

So you're talking about adding quite a bit more than a few drops of water then right?

I'd say don't add any more than half of your measure of whisk(e)y, a few drops will make a difference though.

Back