A 30-year-old woman from Afghanistan is beheaded for leaving the house without her husband

Everyone misunderstands everyone else these days, whether its religion, race or politics. I know I have my blind spots and I honestly try to learn other perspectives.

islam's acts speak for themselves.

What would be the religious intent to only outlaw hitting in the face? Its a translation from 7th century Arabic, The accepted interpretation from what i assume is common Arabic expression for not hitting someone at all.

Anyway, I won't go into this rabbit hole, my point stands. Its incredible that people think cutting off a wife's head for disobedience is OK in Islam.
You know what they say about making an assumptions, right?

Well, not wanting to deface your property is a good reason not to hit her right between the horns, I'd say.

Good call on avoiding the rabbit hole.

I don't think beheading is considered an ok form of punishment. But Afghanistan and Pakistan are two exceptional shit holes where this kind of behavior is seen more often than anywhere else. And what do the top countries with the greatest inequality between the sexes have in common?

Yup, the Protestant and Catholic Germans sure did leave the Jews alone in the 1940s. As did the Orthodox Serbs when they ethnically cleansed Muslims in Bosnia in the 1990s. Or the Buddhist extremists in Burma who are ethnically cleansing the Rohingya minority today,....theyre leaving everyone alone.

You're literally 3 posts removed from defending Islam. All of the sudden you care about religion getting people killed, top fucking lel

I bet you're itching to mention the Crusades too. All it proves is your shitty religion is a thousand years behind and needs to be eradicated.

Just because it's not like this here in the U.S. (yet), doesn't mean this sorta thing ain't happening in other countries.

Don't gloss over this, Brah. You do no one any favors by trying to justify it in any way, shape, or form.

This stuff does happen in other countries, but what i'm questioning is:

a- how prevalent is it?
b- is the root cause religion? cultural? Just some fucked up people doing fucked up things? A mixture?

What concerns me is that every bad thing any Muslim does around the world is automatically attributed to Islam. Of course this logical doesn't get applied to Christianity,(at least not on this board from what I've seen). A Christian that does something bad its because he's fucked up in the head, or he's going against Christian teachings. There's a term for this, Fundamental Attribution Error.

The Quran lays down the code of conduct for women in the following words:

"And play your role by being in your houses and do not keep exhibiting your beauty and decorations like what used to happen in the Jahiliyah period (before Islam). [Noble Quran 33:33]

Abu Bakr al-Jassas says in explaining this verse,

"This verse points out the fact that women are ordered to play their role in the house and are forbidden from loitering outside of their houses."

I don't think beheading is considered an ok form of punishment. But Afghanistan and Pakistan are two exceptional shit holes where this kind of behavior is seen more often than anywhere else. And what do the top countries with the greatest inequality between the sexes have in common?

There's such a thing as confounding variables. There are almost 2 billion muslims in the world. So you've literally settled on the least common denominator as an explanation. Another explanation is cultural. South Asian culture has a tendency to look at women as property, up until recently Hindu women would be killed when their husbands died, burnt on the funeral pyre. India today has a veritable gang rape epidemic that even tourists aren't safe from. Is this due to Hinduism? Or is it cultural? Where does one stop and the other start?

Conversely, there have been female heads of state in 6 muslim majority countries. The US still hasn't had a female president. What does that say? Only that the role of women in Muslim society is complicated and varied by country, not the caricature that is being put forward.

The Quran lays down the code of conduct for women in the following words:

"And play your role by being in your houses and do not keep exhibiting your beauty and decorations like what used to happen in the Jahiliyah period (before Islam). [Noble Quran 33:33]

Abu Bakr al-Jassas says in explaining this verse,

"This verse points out the fact that women are ordered to play their role in the house and are forbidden from loitering outside of their houses."

And who is Abu Bakr AL Jassas? He doesn't speak for me. If you want to take him as the arbiter of what Islam means that's your problem. Does Pat RObertson speak for all Christians?

Great source. How about some anti Jewish articles from a nazi site next.

There's such a thing as confounding variables. There are almost 2 billion muslims in the world. So you've literally settled on the least common denominator as an explanation. Another explanation is cultural. South Asian culture has a tendency to look at women as property, up until recently Hindu women would be killed when their husbands died, burnt on the funeral pyre. India today has a veritable gang rape epidemic that even tourists aren't safe from. Is this due to Hinduism? Or is it cultural? Where does one stop and the other start?

Conversely, there have been female heads of state in 6 muslim majority countries. The US still hasn't had a female president. What does that say? Only that the role of women in Muslim society is complicated and varied by country, not the caricature that is being put forward.

I'm not confusing anything. I've argued on this very board that FGM is not a uniquely Islam thing.

Yes, culture is a big influence, no arguing that. Religion is one fundamental part of culture. Do you not agree? The cultures where the "least common denominator" we're talking about is missing has the highest equality between the sexes. Is culture unwilling to relinquish control over women, or the religion unwilling to relinquish control over culture? Makes little difference to the outcome, I'd say.

The Hindu portion of our discussion is inextricably linked to geography, and shared history with Islamic neighbors. As far as I know that religion has no differentiation in value between the sexes, and there have been female presidents in India.

As to the lack of female US presidents? Let's not confuse a true patriarchy where different people have different values even in some legal applications, with a republic where sexist attitudes are rapidly disappearing. Hillary lost because she was disliked and not trusted, not because of she's a she.

Edit: I completely overlooked your point of female heads of states in Muslim majority countries. Point to you, and it shows a certain bias on my part.

I'm not confusing anything. I've argued on this very board that FGM is not a uniquely Islam thing.

Yes, culture is a big influence, no arguing that. Religion is one fundamental part of culture. Do you not agree? The cultures where the "least common denominator" we're talking about is missing has the highest equality between the sexes. Is culture unwilling to relinquish control over women, or the religion unwilling to relinquish control over culture? Makes little difference to the outcome, I'd say.

The Hindu portion of our discussion is inextricably linked to geography, and shared history with Islamic neighbors. As far as I know that religion has no differentiation in value between the sexes, and there have been female presidents in India.

As to the lack of female US presidents? Let's not confuse a true patriarchy where different people have different values even in some legal applications, with a republic where sexist attitudes are rapidly disappearing. Hillary lost because she was disliked and not trusted, not because of she's a she.

Edit: I completely overlooked your point of female heads of states in Muslim majority countries. Point to you, and it shows a certain bias on my part.

I just told you that in the Hindu religion wives are killed when their husbands die, and in no way are they viewed as equal in the modern sense. Your response was to:

a - give them benefit of the doubt and deny a linkage to Hinduism (which I would agree with except you don't afford that same luxury to muslims)

b - somehow blame muslims for the transgressions of Hindus by reason of proximity. If you want to be realistic about it, its more likely Hindus influenced Muslims not the other way around. Why? Because Hinduism predates Islam by many centuries, the Muslims of India/Pakistan and Afghanistan are converted Hindus and Zoraestrians......the Hindus were not and have never been Muslims.

I take your point about culture and religion being so linked as to make it hard to know where one stops and the other starts. My point is that culture is never blamed for any of these crazy incidents,....Islam somehow gets exclusive and total blame for all the ills in that region. My argument is that it shows the implicit bias against Islam in people from the West.

Crazy how different we are. I'd behead someone just to get my wife to leave the house without me for a few hours on a weekend so I could relax.
I bought a wiiu and xenobladex, just hoping she'd get hooked on it and stay fixated on it for a few days. When it got too grindy she lost it, then somehow some game called Unravel caught her attention, it took fucking hooks to buy it online for some god damn reason, but i did it anyway!

I was thinking the same. Maybe he had something else waiting for him.

491565b12d2acf4c74a7138719415186.jpg
Looks like the leg monster from Silent Hill

18ba06762a98b684e6876927aac2d680.jpg

All religion should be wiped out starting with the Abrahamic faiths.
Sure, and while we're at it, we should wipe out all modes of transport because of drunk drivers...

This stuff does happen in other countries, but what i'm questioning is:

a- how prevalent is it?
b- is the root cause religion? cultural? Just some fucked up people doing fucked up things? A mixture?

What concerns me is that every bad thing any Muslim does around the world is automatically attributed to Islam. Of course this logical doesn't get applied to Christianity,(at least not on this board from what I've seen). A Christian that does something bad its because he's fucked up in the head, or he's going against Christian teachings. There's a term for this, Fundamental Attribution Error.
It's quite simple...

One doctrine teaches to "Love Thy Neighbor".

The other, "KILL THE INFIDEL!!!"

There be no Taliban if there was no Mujjies, there be no Mujjies if there no Murica interference, or whoever was pulling our strings.

No, it means don't hit her at all.

lol so now your dark age life manual requires "interpretation", as nowhere does it say hitting them is wrong, just hitting the face.

I understand the problems in translation but again, that and your cherry picking problem stems from the fact you base your life values off a book.

A book written by Arab warlords more than a millienia ago. Then you wonder why people get confused with what and what not Muslims believe.

Back