5 reasons why Jon Jones will keep eye poking opponents.

he actually doesn't eye poke that often

the real issue is he keeps his arms extended with his fingers out which makes the eye poke a constant threat if his opponents try to move in on him

that said, i honestly don't care that much. it's a fight.

OP pretty much nailed it. The threat of the eye poke is a huge defensive barrier.

If Jones would get a point deduction for landing eye pokes after pawing at the guys eyes for several minutes he'd stop doing it and fighters would feel safer engaging him.

But if he's allowed to jab someone in the eyes every time they mount anything resembling effective offense on him and he never pays for it then he'll continue doing exactly that.

This is entirely on the heads of the referees. Either they enforce the rules or we watch eye-poke-Jones ride into the sunset while he breaks many of the records set by Anderson and GSP.

I thought it was gonna be because he has five fingers

:)

Name 1 fighter that eye pokes more often than Jones.

Just 1.

kos?
chuck?

and my point still stands. the worse part isn't how often he pokes but how often the threat of the poke is present to his opponents.

Imagine the shit-storm if the next time Jones poked his opponent in the eye the referee ruled it intentional and disqualified him.

kos?
chuck?

and my point still stands. the worse part isn't how often he pokes but how often the threat of the poke is present to his opponents.

Not even close for either.

No. The threat of eye pokes is deliberate, and the actual eye pokes are far more effective.

Imagine the shit-storm if the next time Jones poked his opponent in the eye the referee ruled it intentional and disqualified him.

Don't recall when that's occurred before, usually points would be deducted and the opponent would have ample time to recover.

But if he caused serious damage to the eye, and the opponent was unable to continue? It'd be the first title change due to a disqualification.

It would be a shitstorm, for Jones.

Don't recall when that's occurred before, usually points would be deducted and the opponent would have ample time to recover.

But if he caused serious damage to the eye, and the opponent was unable to continue? It'd be the first title change due to a disqualification.

It would be a shitstorm, for Jones.

The rules state that the ref has discretion to DQ without any warning or point deduction if they deem a foul "flagrant." I can't recall any fight where that actually happened, though.

Where are people saying points should have been deducted from Barao?

How many other fights has Barao repeatedly hit his opponents groin during? Has it ever happened multiple times, after he was "warned" about it?

Not even close for either.

No. The threat of eye pokes is deliberate, and the actual eye pokes are far more effective.

it is close, both have eye poked several opponents. And the threat of the eye poke is worse, because even if he never eye pokes someone the threat alone is a deters them from moving in on Jones. And when he does eye poke someone they are right back in eye poke threat territory.

The rules state that the ref has discretion to DQ without any warning or point deduction if they deem a foul "flagrant." I can't recall any fight where that actually happened, though.

As much as I despise Jones's eye pokes, I can't describe them as 'flagrant.'

However, if he pokes his opponent's eye and it's deep... As in fingernail did major damage, or just to how far the eye was pushed back into the eye socket, and the opponent doubles over in agony obviously unable to continue, and after a doctor's examination it's apparent it's a serious injury. Flagrancy is irrelevant.

it is close, both have eye poked several opponents. And the threat of the eye poke is worse, because even if he never eye pokes someone the threat alone is a deters them from moving in on Jones. And when he does eye poke someone they are right back in eye poke threat territory.

Several? Jones has eye poked several.

I recall Liddell eye poked Randy, and who else? If its just one more it's not a big deal, maybe another in the early portion of his career. The argument can't be made that they were part of his tactics.

And Kos? I don't recall him having many, but no one likes him anyway. Very happy he's faded into obscurity.

That bottom picture is fucking disgusting.

Refs not enforcing the rules. Fighters should just land groin shots on him if he even sticks his fingers out. Did Vitor get eye poked?

I would totally kick Jones in the balls full force and not feel bad about it. I'd pretend it was an inside leg kick.

I recall Liddell eye poked Randy, and who else? If its just one more it's not a big deal, maybe another in the early portion of his career. The argument can't be made that they were part of his tactics.

And Kos? I don't recall him having many, but no one likes him anyway. Very happy he's faded into obscurity.

Kos was known for FAKING being poked in the eye I thought.

Lol remember when people called him Chuck the "Eyes-man" Liddell

Liddell eye poked Tito. Kos eye poked in those fights he faked getting eye poked, lol. Lawler knocking out Kos was one of my favorite mma moments since I got to witness it live in person.

In that pic with Machida he's not poking him in the eye. What he's doing there is completely legal. The last fight was reffed completely fine. What is funny is you can see the hypocricy with people and Jones. In the Dillashaw-Barao fight Barao landed two groin shots on TJ. Where are people saying points should have been deducted from Barao?

I mean hell, Jon got warned last fight and didn't poke Glover again.

That is probably because Barao doesn't have a reputation for dirty fighting. Maybe he should have been deducted a point but you make him sound like Cheick Kongo Jr. I don't understand the logic where people cite someone else's foul like it will excuse Jones' repeated eye pokes.

Its like grabbing the fence, hitting the opponent in the back of the head or kick him in the balls...Why not do it if you dont get punished, it was just a matter of time before someone did it in a systematic fashion...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back