5 reasons why Jon Jones will keep eye poking opponents.

The biggest problem is he gets to do it 2 or 3 times a fight before the first warning. By then, the damage is done and his opponents don't want anything to do with that hand in their face. It's fucking bullshit, he's been warned multiple times in all of his recent fights almost. They need to start acting on it immediately considering it is a very big risk to a fighter's career.

I see why he does it to keep his opponents at bay, his hand speed isn't the fastest. He needs range to pull off his maneuvers. We haven't seen anyone just keep moving forward yet but maybe Gus or DC will challenge him in that area.

I wonder how well Jones will fare when he is prevented from doing his fingers/hand-in-your-face habit.

I wonder how well Jones will fare when he is prevented from doing his fingers/hand-in-your-face habit.

Jones's biggest standup advantages...

1. Reach

2. fighting tall

3. Eye pokes

4. Technique.

5. Power

Number 3 should be number 1

He doesn't intentionally poke people

The criticism of Jones is absurd

One of the first things I learnt in muay thai/boxing defense was the long/extended guard, the exact outstretched lead hand, rear hand on forehead style that JJ uses. Excellent for keeping shorter opponents at distance - the only difference is using open gloves, it leaves an opponent who is rushing in in a dangerous situation - of his own doing.

I'm not going to leave my lead leg out the entire fight for Shogun, Alves or Aldo to chop away at

I'm not going to stand in the pocket with Lawler or Hendricks

I'm sure as hell not going to be flat footed, hands up high and standing square on to Sonnen or Rashad.

Don't want to get eye poked by Jones? find a way to get in the pocket, put him on his back or put him against the fence and grind it out and don't give the lanky fuck space to use the limbs to advantage.

The biggest problem is he gets to do it 2 or 3 times a fight before the first warning. By then, the damage is done and his opponents don't want anything to do with that hand in their face. It's fucking bullshit, he's been warned multiple times in all of his recent fights almost. They need to start acting on it immediately considering it is a very big risk to a fighter's career.

The opponent has to advise the ref before the fight to watch for eye pokes. Ref tells them at the center of the octagon clean fight looks at JBJ no eye pokes :icon_lol:

Not sure why the refs allow him to get away with it? I say for everyone eye poke, Jones's opponent should kick him in the nuts as hard as possible on "accident" . I'm sure they would get a couple of warnings too right?

In that pic with Machida he's not poking him in the eye. What he's doing there is completely legal. The last fight was reffed completely fine. What is funny is you can see the hypocricy with people and Jones. In the Dillashaw-Barao fight Barao landed two groin shots on TJ. Where are people saying points should have been deducted from Barao?

I mean hell, Jon got warned last fight and didn't poke Glover again.

pretty big difference yea?

And until the UFC changes the gloves I see absolutely no reason for Jones to change what is a basic, fundamental technique for stand up.

I've had opponents do it against me (the pawing/hand on forehead) in boxing, muay thai and in Jiu-Jitsu - it's a gauge of distance for strikes and take downs.

Get used to it, I saw TJ use it constantly against Barao at 173 but Barao's lateral movement was far superior as a 135 compared to a 205 so I doubt many would have paid attention to it and it wasn't an issue.

Hear-No-Evil-See-No-Evil-Speak-No-Evil.jpg

I mean hell, Jon got warned last fight and didn't poke Glover again.

Exactly. Which adds to the mountain of proof he's deliberately doing it, at worst.

Or just allows it to happen 'inadvertently,' and then takes means to prevent it from happening when threatened with repercussions.

Hater, don't bother debating this issue. You're going to get slayed.

Big Jon or whoever is reffing needs to legit tell him in the back room, I've seen you abusing this, if you do it I will take a point. No one has the balls to do it, drives me insane.

The criticism of Jones is absurd

One of the first things I learnt in muay thai/boxing defense was the long/extended guard, the exact outstretched lead hand, rear hand on forehead style that JJ uses. Excellent for keeping shorter opponents at distance - the only difference is using open gloves, it leaves an opponent who is rushing in in a dangerous situation - of his own doing.

WOW who taught you Muay Thai ? You get told to extend your arm that's a joke the first thing learnt in Muay Thai is closed fist with a tight guard you don't walk around with one arm streatched out . To find your distance in Muay Thai you paw at your opponent with your jab can tell you have never had a lesson Offaly Thai in your life .

THe mauler should
1. Poke bones in the eye in the first 1 minute of round 1.
2. Hard kick to the sack in the 3rd minute.
3: Sidekick to the kneecap to hyperextend the knee.

rinse and repeat every round til bones is a sack of bones.

Back