5 reasons why Jon Jones will keep eye poking opponents.

Whoever is fighting Jones and gets eyepoked by him needs to make a statement in the form of retaliation. The good thing for the opponent is that once he got eyepoked and the ref stops the fight for a moment (but doesn't deduct a point), the opponent now has a wildcard to return the favor for free as well. It's very unlikely he will get a point deduction for the same offence after Jones just got away with it as well. Alternatively, his opponent could retaliate by kicking Jones in the nuts. It's a bit more risky though because Jones didn't do the same to him yet before that.

I know it's dirty fighting and grey area stuff, but it's not worse than what Jones was already doing. An eye for an eye.

edit: It's also important that the opponent responds apologetic after retaliating to not give the ref an excuse to deduct a point anyway. It doesn't even have to be believable, as long as he puts his hands up and acts like it was a mistake.

Last edited:
Wow he was 100% aware that he poked Gustafsson in the eye and went for the spinning elbow knowing that Gustafsson was trying to get the referee's attention.

How the fuck does this scumbag have any fans?

It all comes down to the fact he's not punished for it. I'm a fan but its dirty and as Bas Rutten said its at least partly intentional. Not so much the actual eye poke but the threat of it, sticking an open hand in his opponents face makes them wary to engage. But if Refs stopped letting him get away with it, he'd stop doing it. As we see with fighters wimping out and putting a hand on the ground to avoid kicks/knees, and how widely TRT was abused, Jones and his camp are just using the rules and how laxly they're enforced at times to their advantage.

I believe because of his height and reach that it is just his natural way to fight. But this isn't no holds barred fighting. He needs to make the effort to clean it up. You can't deny that he is a talent.

He does do way too many pokes, but you gets need to get the hell over it already. Because even without them, Jones would dominate whoever is in front of him not named Gusrafsson or possibly DC anyway.

He does do way too many pokes, but you gets need to get the hell over it already. Because even without them, Jones would dominate whoever is in front of him not named Gusrafsson or possibly DC anyway.

Considering how contestable his fight against Gustafsson was, those eyepokes might have been the champion-deciding factor in that match.

We've seen how nutshots can really fuck up the victim's reflexes (setting up headkick KO's for the perpetrator *cough* Gonzaga being an asshole against Mirko *cough*), it's not difficult to imagine that eyepokes really fuck up a fighter's vibe.

That is probably because Barao doesn't have a reputation for dirty fighting. Maybe he should have been deducted a point but you make him sound like Cheick Kongo Jr. I don't understand the logic where people cite someone else's foul like it will excuse Jones' repeated eye pokes.

Because this reputation is built on people just trying to find something to complain about. Two times Jon has had a fight stopped for eye pokes and and that was in the last two fights. People were complaining about it way before that. My point with that people ignore similar or the same type of fouls in other fighters. Lots also say they want there to be some hardline stance towards accidental fouls. If those people were genuine then they'd be whining about Barao(or anyone) landing groin shots and going unpunished. My "logic" is that Jon should be treated like everyone else and in his last fight(and others) he was.

If there was some sort of immediate point deduction for Jon then the same should apply to everyone and LOTS of fights would end up being highly altered because of groin shots or eye pokes. Lots of undeserved draws or losses based on some incidental contact.

This is cage-fighting. You do what you can get away with. All this crap about honour and the dignity of the sport some of you spout is ridiculous; one minute it's 'Jones' eyepokes are dangerous!' the next is 'Why no soccer kicks or headbutts?!". The refs need to step up, the organisation needs to sort out if a solution can be found via new gloves. There's nothing wrong with an oustretched hand, Jones just does what he can get away with.

The biggest problem is he gets to do it 2 or 3 times a fight before the first warning. By then, the damage is done and his opponents don't want anything to do with that hand in their face. It's fucking bullshit, he's been warned multiple times in all of his recent fights almost. They need to start acting on it immediately considering it is a very big risk to a fighter's career.

Spot on.

The way they ref fights you should always knee your opponent in the groin at the start, then eye poke them and then grab the fence to prevent a take down because you can do that every single fight without punishment.

Here's 5 reasons:

claw.jpg

i can cut it down to 2:

1) there's no 'rule' against it (debatable) and
2) it works. very well.

I thought one of the rules in MMA is you're not allowed to put a finger in any orifice. The eye ball is not an orifice but the eye socket is. Therefore he is putting a finger into an opponents orifice and breaking a rule.

I thought one of the rules in MMA is you're not allowed to put a finger in any orifice. The eye ball is not an orifice but the eye socket is. Therefore he is putting a finger into an opponents orifice and breaking a rule.

I hope they didn't actually have to say 'no fingering of any orifice allowed.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back