2nd viewing of Donald/Benson 3

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by TrueBias, Jan 19, 2015.

1. morose

morose Purple Belt

i thought cerrone felt he lost during the post fight interview as did I after the fight...

i thought bendo clearly won at least two rounds and it wasn't close enough not to be called a robbery...

that's my logic...i feel like some of you feel a fight is close just because no one is winning rounds by a landslide which is terrible logic in itself...

2. KantoTerror

KantoTerror Silver Belt

Joe always favors one fighter over the other...it doesn't mean he's right.

3. Tankeray

Tankeray The Progeny of Beast of Woe

agreed ts

4. jasonfahy

jasonfahy Yellow Belt

The clearest indication I saw was right after the announcement. He turned to Ben and did an open-handed shrug, like "whaddaya do". Definitely made me think that Donald thought it was a weird decision.

5. wowspare

wowspare Brown Belt

Shertards' hypocrisy as its finest

6. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

came down to power vs volume, but, imo, with the power argument you need to hurt the other guy unless the strikes landed are close to even. Bendo's volume in the last 2 rounds was enough for what Cowboy managed to land with power.

it was still too close to be considered a robbery, there is an argument for Cerrone with cleaner, harder shots landed, but, as said, I didn't think he did enough to overcome that disparity. Didn't hurt Bendo once.

7. yermajesty

yermajesty Purple Belt

This fight was a sparring session and nothing more. Cerrone and Benson didn't go for anything. This fight was shit, so stop talking about it.

8. Air Lats

Air Lats Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest! Platinum Member

At a restraurant eating a succulent Chinese meal.
    You are either:

A: as mature as a 12 year old
    Or
    B: Benson Henderson

I kinda think you might be Benson Henderson. Welcome to Sherdog. Sounds like you had a rough night.

9. Iron-Fists

Iron-Fists Purple Belt

No way Cowboy won a UD.

I scored it 29-28 for Henderson.

But I'll take another Cowboy victory!

10. TheCoward

TheCoward Purple Belt

Yeah I don't know. I scored it 29-28 Cowboy, but I admit I'm more of a Cowboy fan so I may be a bit biased. To me this fight is just another that shows why we need more draws in MMA, I don't think either guy really "won" that fight.

11. freelanzr

freelanzr Blue Belt

This doesn't mean shit, the rounds are already scored by then, Bendo ALWAYS thinks/acts like he won these close decisions, and Cowboy is always his own biggest critic.

12. Bleed for me

Bleed for me Green Belt

Very close fight, not a robbery. I thought Benson edged the last two rounds but if you're in a lot of close fights that go to decision you're going to lose one eventually.

Say this as a huge Benson fan.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  13. Cosmic Cthulhu

Cosmic Cthulhu Green Belt

Was a close fight. I'm glad Cerrone won because he's an exciting fighter who has some momentum behind him...

Henderson's a boring point fighting, decision machine.

14. Volizei

Volizei Blue Belt

I'm not sure why people are saying this was a bad fight.
    I had Cerrone winning round one, probably Bendo for the second but it could have been a draw. Number three is tricky, it was very back and forth, I think cowboy got the round on aggression.
    Huge respect to both. I used to be ambivalent about cowboy, and a down right hater of bendo, but over the past year they've both made a fan outta me.

15. Mr. Hammer

Mr. Hammer Silver Belt

This is the second time I've seen someone mention Rogan as the reason people thought Benson won. That is a lie. Rogan was all over Cerrone's nuts in the first round, completely ignoring most of Benson's offense. He didn't switch sides until it became evident that Benson was clearly winning the fight.

16. atxmmafan

atxmmafan Green Belt

with cowboy being a finnisher he had to be let down in the fact he didnt get a finnish. you could see the frustration in his face in dealing with the leg kicks. a close fight no doubt but not a robbery either way.
    now lets see bendo on this weekends card

17. Mr. Hammer

Mr. Hammer Silver Belt

Well in fairness Rampage initially thought he lost to Machida despite winning the first two rounds pretty clearly. The fighters themselves aren't always the best source to go to when it comes to who should have won a decision.

Now when your coaches, the boss, the UFC camera crew, and everyone else who isn't a militant atheist Benson hater thinks you lost, it's a pretty good indication that you did. I think the word "robbery" is thrown around far too often when describing close fights, but last night's fight was not close and in this case the term most certainly fits.

18. kaya

kaya Silver Belt

I'm 100% a cowboy fan. I 100% wanted him to win. I'm happy he won.

I think Benson actually won the fight hah.

19. maltmonger

maltmonger White Belt

This is pretty much how I saw it too.

Forget the crap about Cerrone's reaction to the decision - he is just that kind of guy.

As for the strikes differential , sure leg kicks should be considered, but how many were those little tapping jab punches to the thigh? You can't tell me that those do much.

It could have gone either way. I thought Cerrone won, and I am glad he did as I have never been a fan of Benson's because I have always have thought he could do a hell of a lot more with his natural athleticism and his obvious skills if he chose a more aggressive style instead of playing for points.

20. Cptn1NSAN0

Cptn1NSAN0 shows no mercy

It's karma I guess for the Edgar rematch and the Thomson fight. It was closer than Rogan was making it seem, for sure. I scored rounds two and three for Benson but I could see Cowboy getting round three, he finished stronger and was using his reach well. The Pendred fight was much more of a robbery, but this was still clearly the wrong decision here I think.