2nd viewing of Donald/Benson 3

If you don't understand why that is terrible logic then school failed you.

It was a close fight. I think Bendo barely did enough to win, but it's not like the other fights on the card that were actual robberies.

i thought cerrone felt he lost during the post fight interview as did I after the fight...

i thought bendo clearly won at least two rounds and it wasn't close enough not to be called a robbery...

that's my logic...i feel like some of you feel a fight is close just because no one is winning rounds by a landslide which is terrible logic in itself...

Joe always favors one fighter over the other...it doesn't mean he's right.

i thought cerrone felt he lost during the post fight interview as did I after the fight...

The clearest indication I saw was right after the announcement. He turned to Ben and did an open-handed shrug, like "whaddaya do". Definitely made me think that Donald thought it was a weird decision.

The poll in the other thread shows a vast favoring of Benson over Cerrone. I saw this fight in a bar where the sound wasnt well. Its Sunday night, most people are watching this at home where its quiet and yes, a commentator would have an influence.

2nd time watching? I still find the fight as a sparring match. Nothing truly "one sided" nor was it a "clear decision." That said, its mind baffling that people are screaming robbery.

-Joes commentary was centered on Benson, especially on his new back kicks being thrown to Cerrones back leg. Hes got a new talent and was using it. Is it enough to win a fight? Joe talked about Donald being in trouble somewhere in the 3rd saying "his legs stiffened up, hes masking it.." I didnt see it Joe.

-Benson kept throwing this front leg kicks that I believe could be seen as scoring, but to me they simply looked like they were used to establish range. They didnt look damaging in the slightest and I say that with sincerity because when Ben threw an array of other kicks, you fucking heard it. You also could hear Donalds.

-Donald had 2 takedowns. When Donald got him down in the 2nd, they stayed down there for just about half a min. Thats dictating where the fight goes and point goes to Donald. The 3rd's, to me, should never be scored cuz he didnt do anything with it. However, in the scheme of a fight being close as hell and there being 3 rounds, you may disagree, but you can understand how a point for the 3rd's takedown was given.

-Damage. I didnt see a lot of damage from either guy, but the leg kicks were closely exchanged. I want to say Ben made more damaging kicks, but as I type this I am thinking about some body kicks from Donald, a high kick that landed (though it was his toes), so again, too close to call. I did think that Donald had Benson in a bit of trouble just under the 2 min mark in the 2nd.

This fight needed 5 rounds. I couldnt call a clear winner, but I personally wouldve gone with Donald in both of my viewings. Had Benson won, I sort of wouldnt had cared. It was close and with only 3 rounds, youd think these veterens would come in throwing more thunder.

I decided to make a new thread to balance out the McG threads. Best thing about his fight was him getting in Aldos face. Worst thing? Being taken down by a striker. 2x. He got back up, yeah, but he still got taken down by a non wrestler. Nothing really to discuss with that show. :)

Shertards' hypocrisy as its finest

came down to power vs volume, but, imo, with the power argument you need to hurt the other guy unless the strikes landed are close to even. Bendo's volume in the last 2 rounds was enough for what Cowboy managed to land with power.

it was still too close to be considered a robbery, there is an argument for Cerrone with cleaner, harder shots landed, but, as said, I didn't think he did enough to overcome that disparity. Didn't hurt Bendo once.

This fight was a sparring session and nothing more. Cerrone and Benson didn't go for anything. This fight was shit, so stop talking about it.

Who gives a shit? Stop talking about this fight.

You are either:

A: as mature as a 12 year old
Or
B: Benson Henderson

I kinda think you might be Benson Henderson. Welcome to Sherdog. Sounds like you had a rough night.

No way Cowboy won a UD.

I scored it 29-28 for Henderson.

But I'll take another Cowboy victory!

Yeah I don't know. I scored it 29-28 Cowboy, but I admit I'm more of a Cowboy fan so I may be a bit biased. To me this fight is just another that shows why we need more draws in MMA, I don't think either guy really "won" that fight.

Even Cowboy could tell he lost. After the final bell, Benson ran around celebrating while Donald looked disappointed.

This doesn't mean shit, the rounds are already scored by then, Bendo ALWAYS thinks/acts like he won these close decisions, and Cowboy is always his own biggest critic.

Very close fight, not a robbery. I thought Benson edged the last two rounds but if you're in a lot of close fights that go to decision you're going to lose one eventually.

Say this as a huge Benson fan.

Last edited:
Was a close fight. I'm glad Cerrone won because he's an exciting fighter who has some momentum behind him...

Henderson's a boring point fighting, decision machine.

I'm not sure why people are saying this was a bad fight.
I had Cerrone winning round one, probably Bendo for the second but it could have been a draw. Number three is tricky, it was very back and forth, I think cowboy got the round on aggression.
Huge respect to both. I used to be ambivalent about cowboy, and a down right hater of bendo, but over the past year they've both made a fan outta me.

This is the second time I've seen someone mention Rogan as the reason people thought Benson won. That is a lie. Rogan was all over Cerrone's nuts in the first round, completely ignoring most of Benson's offense. He didn't switch sides until it became evident that Benson was clearly winning the fight.

with cowboy being a finnisher he had to be let down in the fact he didnt get a finnish. you could see the frustration in his face in dealing with the leg kicks. a close fight no doubt but not a robbery either way.
now lets see bendo on this weekends card

ill say it again, i dunno how anyone can pick cerrone when even cerrone thought he lost...

pretty obvious robbery...

Well in fairness Rampage initially thought he lost to Machida despite winning the first two rounds pretty clearly. The fighters themselves aren't always the best source to go to when it comes to who should have won a decision.

Now when your coaches, the boss, the UFC camera crew, and everyone else who isn't a militant atheist Benson hater thinks you lost, it's a pretty good indication that you did. I think the word "robbery" is thrown around far too often when describing close fights, but last night's fight was not close and in this case the term most certainly fits.

I'm 100% a cowboy fan. I 100% wanted him to win. I'm happy he won.

I think Benson actually won the fight hah.

I'm not sure why people are saying this was a bad fight.
I had Cerrone winning round one, probably Bendo for the second but it could have been a draw. Number three is tricky, it was very back and forth, I think cowboy got the round on aggression.

This is pretty much how I saw it too.

Forget the crap about Cerrone's reaction to the decision - he is just that kind of guy.

As for the strikes differential , sure leg kicks should be considered, but how many were those little tapping jab punches to the thigh? You can't tell me that those do much.

It could have gone either way. I thought Cerrone won, and I am glad he did as I have never been a fan of Benson's because I have always have thought he could do a hell of a lot more with his natural athleticism and his obvious skills if he chose a more aggressive style instead of playing for points.

This doesn't mean shit, the rounds are already scored by then, Bendo ALWAYS thinks/acts like he won these close decisions, and Cowboy is always his own biggest critic.

It's karma I guess for the Edgar rematch and the Thomson fight. It was closer than Rogan was making it seem, for sure. I scored rounds two and three for Benson but I could see Cowboy getting round three, he finished stronger and was using his reach well. The Pendred fight was much more of a robbery, but this was still clearly the wrong decision here I think.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back