2nd viewing of Donald/Benson 3

I watched the fight, but had to have it on mute as my daughter was asleep on the couch.

I saw when they interviewed Benson in the cage he was angry, and looked to be screaming (I assume about verdict). What did he say?

It's Benson's fault for fighting safe. He always tries to make it look like he's winning instead of actually fighting. So many fighters have said he throws weak punches in volume and all his strikes felt half power and simply for points. He's had a lot of decisions go his way with this technique so it was nice to see him on the other end of it, especially since it was against Cowboy.

I just watched it again this morning.

Round 1 10-9 Cerrone
Round 2 10-9 Benson
Round 3 10-9 Benson

Even Cowboy could tell he lost. After the final bell, Benson ran around celebrating while Donald looked disappointed.

Meh.. Donald isnt much of a celebrator post fight decision and Ive seen Benson celebrating losses showing that he was ok and that he could go on. Shit, Guida always does an odd celebration when its clear he lost.

I dont weigh fighters raising their own arms highly on any scale.

agree 100 percent. neither fighter showed killer instinct or threw consistent combinations. In a three round fight, you have be more aggressive...

Exactly. I wanted 5 rounds and Id favor Benson in it as usual. If you seek out my past posts, youll see I picked Ben to win this one.

When it occurred to me that this was 3 rounds, I thought it could go either way, but I was only thinking that in the terms that both fighters can fight more explosively and not needing gas in the tank for an extra 2 rounds.

I watched the fight, but had to have it on mute as my daughter was asleep on the couch.

I saw when they interviewed Benson in the cage he was angry, and looked to be screaming (I assume about verdict). What did he say?

Can do all things through christ
bunch of stuff about perseverance and not giving up
said Conor was GOAT

-Benson kept throwing this front leg kicks that I believe could be seen as scoring, but to me they simply looked like they were used to establish range. They didnt look damaging in the slightest and I say that with sincerity because when Ben threw an array of other kicks, you fucking heard it. You also could hear Donalds.

Just so you know "hearing" a kick is generally a sign than you are hitting more with the toes. The stronger kick is done with the shin and results in not as audible a slap. In Benson's case he was hitting with the heel and pushing with the toes. Not only did it establish range but it also made it more difficult for Cerrone to lead with the front leg kick. Benson complimented the front thigh attack by stepping wide with the right and coming across the back thigh and as striking the front leg as well. It was well orchestrated and effective.

Or to sum it up in a few words, he point fights.

It's Benson's fault for fighting safe. He always tries to make it look like he's winning instead of actually fighting. So many fighters have said he throws weak punches in volume and all his strikes felt half power and simply for points. He's had a lot of decisions go his way with this technique so it was nice to see him on the other end of it, especially since it was against Cowboy.

ill say it again, i dunno how anyone can pick cerrone when even cerrone thought he lost...

pretty obvious robbery...

The most ironic part of the thing is that the people who scored it decisively for Benson, probably scored Edgar/Benson for Benson...you know, because Bendo "did more damage."

It's bizarre.

ill say it again, i dunno how anyone can pick cerrone when even cerrone thought he lost...

pretty obvious robbery...

If you don't understand why that is terrible logic then school failed you.

It was a close fight. I think Bendo barely did enough to win, but it's not like the other fights on the card that were actual robberies.

I had it 1,2 Cowboy and 3 Benson.

Don't listen to Rogan, he talks too much without actually paying attention.

I don't see any problem with the result.

Is that the new thing on SD? Crying about every decision like it's some robbery....

The poll in the other thread shows a vast favoring of Benson over Cerrone. I saw this fight in a bar where the sound wasnt well. Its Sunday night, most people are watching this at home where its quiet and yes, a commentator would have an influence.

2nd time watching? I still find the fight as a sparring match. Nothing truly "one sided" nor was it a "clear decision." That said, its mind baffling that people are screaming robbery.

-Joes commentary was centered on Benson, especially on his new back kicks being thrown to Cerrones back leg. Hes got a new talent and was using it. Is it enough to win a fight? Joe talked about Donald being in trouble somewhere in the 3rd saying "his legs stiffened up, hes masking it.." I didnt see it Joe.
That had nothing to do with the leg kicks, Henderson went high with a kick, that Donald ate *then* caught, and it looked as though he had to shake some cobwebs away quickly.

-Benson kept throwing this front leg kicks that I believe could be seen as scoring, but to me they simply looked like they were used to establish range. They didnt look damaging in the slightest and I say that with sincerity because when Ben threw an array of other kicks, you fucking heard it. You also could hear Donalds.

-Donald had 2 takedowns. When Donald got him down in the 2nd, they stayed down there for just about half a min. Thats dictating where the fight goes and point goes to Donald. The 3rd's, to me, should never be scored cuz he didnt do anything with it. However, in the scheme of a fight being close as hell and there being 3 rounds, you may disagree, but you can understand how a point for the 3rd's takedown was given.
Don't know how you can down-talk the value of the kicks, then talk up the absolutely meaningless take-downs.
-Damage. I didnt see a lot of damage from either guy, but the leg kicks were closely exchanged. I want to say Ben made more damaging kicks, but as I type this I am thinking about some body kicks from Donald, a high kick that landed (though it was his toes), so again, too close to call. I did think that Donald had Benson in a bit of trouble just under the 2 min mark in the 2nd.

This fight needed 5 rounds. I couldnt call a clear winner, but I personally wouldve gone with Donald in both of my viewings. Had Benson won, I sort of wouldnt had cared. It was close and with only 3 rounds, youd think these veterens would come in throwing more thunder.

Benson pretty clearly won the second and third rounds, via having the all-around more efficient output, imo.

Wouldn't call it a robbery, at all, but the result felt obvious to me.

I heard Rogan starting to talk up Bendo and immediately thought, "Sherdoggers will use this as a way to discredit Bendo and act as if Rogan made everyone think he should win, even though he's clearly landed more strikes and has just generally been a step ahead of Cerrone for most of this fight."

Quoting your thoughts...back to the padded room :rolleyes:

Both guys appeared to be point-fighting. No one gets rocked, no one lands any big shots, no one attempts any subs.

I hate these kind of fights.

I had Bendo winning, but I have no beef with the decision.

I had Benson winning, but I like that Cerrone won. It seemed like mostly point fighting on Bendo's part, even though he has the potential as we saw with the one head kick he threw.

Can we just stop talking about 'TAKEDOWNS' .... that's so stupid...

I felt it could go either way, nothing to cry about, Cerrone did well in the 3rd round.

And on 2 weeks notice right after a fight, bravo!

Carma came to visit Bendo last night. He's lived by the sword...last night he died by the sword. I was happy for Cowboy in a weird sort of way. Thought Ben won a close one, but was really rooting for Cowboy.

People saying the kicks don't count, where the hell were you when Diaz lost to Condit. The kicks count, that's why Condit won, with little baby leg kicks. That's why Bendo should have won, he outstruck Cowboy with the same crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back